Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

folder and file group permissions on two PC's wrong on medium network

Offline joemapango

• +0/-0
Hello All.   I have had a 6.X SME server running at a local company for the last few years.   It's behind a firewall, and does not provide external services, so I have yet to upgrade.   A few months ago (after both PC's were reloaded) we had two PC's that could not share each others files and folders on the SME server.   They could create files and folders, and they could access them, but not each others.  After looking into it for some time, I noticed the group rights were not being set correctly for each user.   The users (in the manager panel) were set to the same groups.  Ultimately, I manually changes the rights via the chmod command, but it has not solved the root issue.   Has anyone seen this before?

Chris Curtis

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: folder and file group permissions on two PC's wrong on medium network
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 03:04:06 AM »
I don't know much about groups, but here are some thoughts:

* What group is assigned to newly created files?  Is it the same for both users, or different?
* If it is different for each user, is it the "primary group" for each user?
* If it is the primary group for each user, is there a way to make the shared group the "primary group" for each user?

Note:  I don't know anything about 'primary groups', but I assume that Linux provides a mechanism to allow user x to create files that are owned by himself and a specified (primary) group to which he belongs, by default...

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: folder and file group permissions on two PC's wrong on medium network
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »
joemapango

There were many bug fixes issued for sme 6.x servers.
I seem to recall something like you describe as being an issue some time in the past, long forgotten of course.

Your easiest answer may be to upgrade to sme7.3.

I manually changes the rights via the chmod command, but it has not solved the root issue.

What root issue, you do not tell us anything about that.

Again upgrading will probably be the easiest way to fix that too.

Very few are using sme6.x servers still, and no one is actively doing bug fix updates for them, so no-one is likely to offer you assistance.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.