Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Easy way to mount NAS shares

Offline NoTo

• +0/-0
Easy way to mount NAS shares
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »
Just spent an hour trawling through the information on the forums and docs looking for a quick and easy way to mount a share from SME that resides on a NAS box. So far I've been unable to find a quick and easy way to do it that doesn't involve trying to remember command lines every time I want to mount the smb share.

Is there a quick and eay method that I've failed to find so far?

Graham

Offline Reinhold

• +0/-0
    • http://127.0.0.1
Re: Easy way to mount NAS shares
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:41:58 PM »
Not sure where you want to mount what  :) here...

NOTE: (a share from SME ... in SME parlance an "ibay"...
... is simply a Samba shared storage mostly local to the SME box(iow on an SME HD)

So does something like "How to mount Samba Shares" help ?  ---> use smbfs
mount -t smbfs //HOST/SHARE /mnt/share -o username=myguestname,password=myguestpw

...maybe you need to explain what:
"mount a share from SME that resides on a NAS box" is supposed to tell us  :D

Regards
Reinhold

Offline NoTo

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »
Yes, it looks like I wrote it all in rather a hurry, and looking back it makes very little sense :?

Basically, I have a NAS box on the network that shares files out by SMB/CIFS/NFS etc. What I would like to do is mount the NAS box from SME so I can copy files directly to the NAS from SME.

After some searching through the forums, I found out the command lines to do that, but I was just wondering if there is a quick and easy way to mount without having to remember a rather long command line each time.

I suppose a bit like the USBDisk contrib that makes it as easy as a click in the web interface to mount a USB disk.

Graham
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:36:39 PM by GrahamNR17 »

Offline 7eis

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:11:41 AM »
If you want your command line to survive a reboot add it to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

You can experiment to see if your NAS has to be online when you mount the share. If this is only occasionally, and you can live with SSHing into your box (which you should try to avoid), add the commands to be invoked to a file and chmod it a+x. You can then execute the script by typing ./thismountsmynasshareorwhateverthescriptiscalled remember to be in the correct directory (check with pwd).