Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Using the reinstallation diskette

Offline wbs316

• +0/-0
Using the reinstallation diskette
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:40:41 AM »
I have been experimenting with the possibility of rebuilding a client's current version 6 installation on another PC using the diskette created via the "create reinstallation disk" option. 

When attempting to use the diskette I received the error message "the second stage of the install which you have selected does not match the boot disk which you are using".

The client's current configuration includes software raid.  Is this message created possibly because I am trying to use this diskette to install on a system that has a single hard disk?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Using the reinstallation diskette
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 09:18:53 AM »
I have been experimenting with the possibility of rebuilding a client's current version 6 installation on another PC using the diskette created via the "create reinstallation disk" option. 

When attempting to use the diskette I received the error message "the second stage of the install which you have selected does not match the boot disk which you are using".

The client's current configuration includes software raid.  Is this message created possibly because I am trying to use this diskette to install on a system that has a single hard disk?
That could be the case. If I might be so free, why are you reinstalling such an old system for your client? A new major release has been released for a while now, including three minor upgrades with a fourth being under way. A lot of security- and bugfixes have been applied since then.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline wbs316

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:20:43 AM »
This client has recently been referred to me.  I am not initimately familiar with SME Server.  The system is performing perfectly well at the present time.  The system will probably be upgraded in due course but in the meantime from a support point of view I wish to be confident that I can rebuild their current configuration on replacement hardware in the event of a major failure tomorrow or the next day or next month.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:17:02 PM »

No, it's because the version of the CDROM you are using does not match the installed version, or at least, the version which supplied the "reinstall floppy" feature. It's possible that the installed version does not include the "reinstall floppy" feature (it was dropped, because boot kernels became too large to fit on a floppy - I don't remember in which version), but your system was upgraded from an earlier version. If that is the case, then the "reinstall floppy" will still appear in the menu, but won't be useful.

Offline wbs316

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:00:48 AM »
Thank you for you comments.  I have since fished around in some of the files that have been created on the diskette and it makes reference to version 5,  so I was wondering if the system had been upgraded to version 6 subsequently.  I had a hunt on the net for a download of version 5 just to try but I had no luck.  I think in the mean time I will run a Ghost of the current system as a "backup".