Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Windows registry edit to change how server shares are displayed

Offline Lucky Dragon

• +0/-0
Windows registry edit to change how server shares are displayed
« on: December 28, 2008, 05:53:04 AM »
Awhile back when I was setting up an SME server for myself, I came across a post here describing how to change the way SAMBA shares are displayed in Windows Explorer. By default, it's something like
SHARENAME on SME Server 'SERVERNAME' (X:)
(where X is the drive letter.)
By editing the registry on the client computer, it's possible to change it to something shorter. On my system I have it set to display as
SHARENAME on 'SERVERNAME' (X:)

The advantage here is that the name is shorter, so instead of seeing the ... at the edge of the column, the whole string fits into a reasonable column width and the drive letter is visible without having to have a really wide folder pane in explorer.
I've been really happy with this package, so I just set one up for my parents, but when I searched for the original post on this topic I was unable to find it. I realize this is not TECHNICALLY an SME issue, but since I came across it in this forum originally, I thought it was worth asking to see if anyone can tell me what I need to edit.

Offline mdo

• +0/-0
Re: Windows registry edit to change how server shares are displayed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »
You should be able to change that without a registry change. (On Windows XP Pro), using Windows Explorer you can right click on the share name and you should have a 'rename' option there.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:43:33 AM »
You should be able to change that without a registry change. (On Windows XP Pro), using Windows Explorer you can right click on the share name and you should have a 'rename' option there.
It has nothing to do with the renaming of shares. It has to do with the registry like OP suggests as this determines how windows formats the string in a Explorer file tree, can not help you with finding the post though.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline mdo

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
It has nothing to do with the renaming of shares. It has to do with the registry like OP suggests as this determines how windows formats the string in a Explorer file tree
Yep, that's what I was suggesting. 'rename' it is called under Windows but it is NOT the rename of the share - just how Explorer shows it.

Offline Lucky Dragon

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:26:44 PM »
It IS possible to use the "rename" ability in explorer to change it. However, I'm trying to change the default behavior, which--as cactus pointed out--does require a registry change. Thanks for the suggestion though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:32:00 PM by Lucky Dragon »

Offline erroneus

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »
Just my two cents:

Registry changes can more easily get pushed out through login scripts and such.

I'm googling around right now to see if I can find what is sought.  But if anyone finds it before I do, just go ahead and post it.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:52 PM »
Just my two cents:

Registry changes can more easily get pushed out through login scripts and such.

I'm googling around right now to see if I can find what is sought.  But if anyone finds it before I do, just go ahead and post it.
Perhaps using policies or if that is not possible by adding it to the registry from perhaps the netlogon.bat?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline banana_boat30

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:59:38 AM »
I am also on the same boat with Lucky Dragon in finding the solution to this.

Sonoracomm has a good sample of basic logon script http://www.sonoracomm.com/support/18-support/152-login-scripts-sme, I tried to tweak some of the net use parameters and unfortunately no good result. If anyone out there, managed to get solve this problem, please post the solution. Thanks.

Offline vincentmeek

• +0/-0
    • Triple Point Solutions
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:19:38 AM »
//Show Mapped Drive letter before Description

In regedit, go to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer, edit or create the DWORD value “ShowDriveLettersFirst” and set it to the desired value: (4 for the Drive letter before Description)

* 0 = Default display (drive letters after description)
* 1 = Network drive letters first, Local drive letters after
* 2 = Descriptions only, no drive letters displayed
* 4 = All drive letters before description

Open a text file with an ending or .reg and paste the following in it save file and run. Close Explorer and reopen or Hit f5 for refresh should be able to see the changes.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"ShowDriveLettersFirst"=dword:00000004

In a login script user the following syntax
C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe -s "path to .reg file"

This will install reg file silently.
Place Path to .reg file in quotes if path has spaces in it
 (like "C:\Program Files\test.reg") or you may not get it installed.

Most of this was covered in the before.
 See http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,36764.0.html for additional info

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:42:12 AM by vincentmeek »
Vincent Meek
Network Consultant

Offline Craig Cabrey

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 03:13:22 AM »
C:WindowsSystem32 egsvr32.exe -s "path to .reg file"

(like "C:Program Files   est.reg") or you may not get it installed.

Most of this was covered in the before.
 See http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,36764.0.html for additional info

Hope this helps.
Just a small tip.
You should actually use environment variables for proper scripting.
Example: %SystemRoot%system32 egsvr32.exe -s "\server etlogondrivelook.reg"
Just my $.02
Craig

Offline vincentmeek

• +0/-0
    • Triple Point Solutions
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 04:00:30 AM »
Just a small tip.
You should actually use environment variables for proper scripting.
Example: %SystemRoot%system32 egsvr32.exe -s "\server etlogondrivelook.reg"
Just my $.02
Craig

Should read
Example: %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe -s "\\server\share\test.reg"
   or %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe -s "G:\directory\test.reg"

I posted complete path as an example for Newbies who may not always know the shortcuts or have the experience.  Some may prefer drive mapping over using a UNC path, everyone has there preferences.

If they need further assistance to understand the post that is what the forum is for.

Please check your syntax before posting.  No need to confuse readers.
Vincent Meek
Network Consultant

Offline Craig Cabrey

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 04:04:30 AM »
Please check your syntax before posting.  No need to confuse readers.

Well I have no idea what happened to my post, but it somehow dropped most of my backslashes!
Trust me, I do know what the correct syntax is (and I posted that originally), but I sincerely do not know what happened.
Oh, and I didn't mean to sound rude or anything, I'm just a big believer in compatibility between differently configured systems.  :-D

Craig

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »
Well I have no idea what happened to my post, but it somehow dropped most of my backslashes!
Trust me, I do know what the correct syntax is (and I posted that originally), but I sincerely do not know what happened.
Next time use the code block (button with the #) for that, that will certainly display text as intended as well as using the preview to show you how your post will look when posted.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:38:30 AM by cactus »

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 01:15:37 PM »
//Show Mapped Drive letter before Description

In regedit, go to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer, edit or create the DWORD value “ShowDriveLettersFirst” and set it to the desired value: (4 for the Drive letter before Description)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"ShowDriveLettersFirst"=dword:00000004

C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe -s "path to .reg file"

(like "C:\Program Files\test.reg") or you may not get it installed.

Hope this helps.

as you are modifying a system-wide variable, I think that it will not work if you are logging as a domain user, because you don't have tue privileges to do so..

My 2c

ciao
Stefano

Offline Lucky Dragon

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 06:06:12 PM »
While it's not quite the same thing as removing the "SME Server" part of the shared volume in Explorer, changing the registry to put the drive letter first is very helpful as well.

Really appreciate all the assistance on this, folks. Especially since this really isn't as Windows support forum.