port 3128 unknown

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
    • http://www.iclbiz.com
port 3128 unknown
« on: January 01, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »
Hi

When I do a port scan from my local machine I see an open port 3128 unknown

There are many other open ports such as port 110 pop3 etc.

What is this port for and why it's labeled as unknown ?
Please advise
Thanks

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: port 3128 unknown
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
Agent86..

from your post's number I think you should know that before posting it's a good idea to search..
so, have you tried to search for 3128 on the forums? you will get many answers..

Ciao
Stefano

Offline elmarconi

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »
When I do a port scan from my local machine I see an open port 3128 unknown

There are many other open ports such as port 110 pop3 etc.

What is this port for and why it's labeled as unknown ?

Open ports are there for a reason. To provide services.  ;-)

Portscanning and not knowing what 3128 is for?
Sounds like someone is using the 'Predator Gatling Gun' to shoot a squirrel, or a whaling harpoon to catch a squid...

--edit-- Apologize if the above was too rude.

I'm not a guru, but before posting I search here, the wiki, the bugzilla and finally google..

100% agreed!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:39:37 PM by elmarconi »

Offline versa

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:33:08 AM »
A simple google for "tcp ports" would have give you the following,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:57:11 AM »
Why chastise someone?  Why not give the answer then some guidance on what to do the next time instead of posting smart ass comments that don't really help or add value?

I can't believe the amount of arrogance on these forums lately.  All of a sudden everyone is an expert.  You can find anything you ever wanted to know if you search long enough. 

3128 is the squid proxy server.

On SME Server you can find what service is running on what port by looking in /etc/services.

[root@www ~]# more /etc/services | grep 3128
squid           3128/tcp                        # squid web proxy

Next time you could perform the other tasks people stated if you need to know about any other port.

John

Offline Teviot

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 05:48:43 AM »
Why chastise someone?  Why not give the answer then some guidance on what to do the next time instead of posting smart ass comments that don't really help or add value?

I can't believe the amount of arrogance on these forums lately.  All of a sudden everyone is an expert.  You can find anything you ever wanted to know if you search long enough. 

3128 is the squid proxy server.

On SME Server you can find what service is running on what port by looking in /etc/services.

[root@www ~]# more /etc/services | grep 3128
squid           3128/tcp                        # squid web proxy

Next time you could perform the other tasks people stated if you need to know about any other port.

John

I agree. To many question on the forums get a responce that is not what is asked for.  There is nothing wrong with answering a question. It just maybe, like myself on occasions that the research on a problem  turns up nothing useful. Only to have someone jump down your throat with a smart remark.

Chances are they genuinely don't know or don't know where to look next.

JUST ANSWER THE PERSONS QUESTION !!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:21:24 AM by teviot »
Regards
M0GLJ
I am new to SAIL SME Server v8b6 and have been using SME for many years.
I have already done some research and only ask questions if I still can't work it out.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:08:04 AM »

@John..

I don't expect everybody writing here to be an expert or a linux guru, but form a member of this forum since 2004 with more than 500 post I expect he use the F....ine "Search" link above.

I'm not a guru, but before posting I search here, the wiki, the bugzilla and finally google..

my 2c
Ciao
Stefano

Offline christian

• +0/-0
    • http://www.szpilfogel.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 04:48:43 PM »
It is all a balance isn't it. I think people become flippant when they feel a question was asked that at least appears to lack the right balance of effort in self research. Whether that was actually the case is not always obvious so if the poster identifies what they did to find the answer themselves, it generates more sympathy.

Cactus and I (and also jcuk and mercyh I think) have started a guideline for use of the communication media we have. At the moment it is aimed more for new users and a refresher for old users. Our hope is this will help a lot in forum behaviour. We are just going through final processes with the various stake holders to have it posted.

For a preview see http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Community

SME since 2003

Offline Agent86

• +0/-0
    • http://www.iclbiz.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 04:02:47 AM »
Thanks for the help on the port topic everyone.

I agree these forums are getting a bit ridiculous lately. I once thought of these forums as the best and most helpful. And stated this in many other distro forums.

In fact the reason I considered the SME over something like Clark Connect was exactly because of the arrogant and rude responses you get in the Clark Connect forums. I received similar in the PClinuxOS, and Mepis,Ubuntu,Slackware and SME appeared to be the most pleasant at the time.
But I could not seriously recommend this type of treatment to anyone I know currently in any forum.

I mean now days you ask for directions thinking it's much simpler to ask someone who already knows and has precise directions since they possibly live in the area;and it would seem some people in this forum lately will tell you it's time to buy a map piss off. lol.It's really becoming a joke.

If you don't like tourists asking for directions then you should not live in a predominantly tourist/vacation type of neighborhood.

Regardless of whether they buy a map or not they still have to get where their going, and that means asking for directions.
I think it's quit elementary really.
If you consider an open source community which people will continue to test out the multitudes of distros in many cases just for kicks and fun.They join forums to ask questions and to help others if they want to.But I've said it once and I'll say it again. If people don't want to answer a question, or are fed up with answering the same question over and over,or perhaps they are just simply burned out and need a vacation then I beg you please don't answer the question and just move on.Stop telling people to learn all that is learnable; that you won't be bothered. Stop telling them they need to learn something. Stop telling them they need to by a map or take some Linux classes. Stop telling them that if they searched the forums, or looked into it they would have found the answer already.

I could say the same type of thing in return such as: if the manual and the help menus were so simple to understand and so easily found then you would not even need forums to begin with and obviously you would not receive these same questions over and over again. Why not make the manuals simpler to understand so that no one will have to waist your time asking questions etc etc.
But saying that is rude, and I would not want to insult the hard work that was put into all of this because I believe that hard work was done and I can respect the effort and what is actually there, not concentrating on what might be lacking instead.However, I would like to point out ever so nicely that most of the time the search does not find what your looking for, because honestly the search does not work very well. I searched for text related to the 3128 unknown port, such as (3128 unknown port), or (port 3128 unknown) and you get nothing found or nothing helpful.By the way the search appears to be directory specific so if you go to a forum looking around, and then try to search you are not actually searching the whole forum your only searching the section your in which returns no results in many cases or only a few results.So the results of the search will vary for each person depending on where they are located in the forums which is not very good. Perhaps this is a bug.I searched other text related to port 3128 also.I search google and returned and abundance of information so much so that I could not really decipher which was related to my topic. It was not until someone suggested a search criteria of only 3128 that I got back some better search results.So perhaps if someone could fix the search engine in the forum then this might solve some of your annoyance as well. You probably never considered that most people might search as they would with google or yahoo etc. And if your search engine only works with a one word text or one string text/numbers then this could be part of the problem with the repetition in questions which appear to be creating a sort of forum rage in the responses I'm seeing here lately.

Anyhow thanks to those who tried to help. I do appreciate the help.
Happy Hacking.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:22:29 AM by Agent86 »

Offline Foa

• +0/-0
  • Donations: October 2007 - $ 50
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:04:55 AM »
One thing that disturb me when I read postings is that red bullet floating back and forth..
Everything that moves on the screen when I read a text will disturb me.
Will it help if I send a bug report  :cool:
BTW the The Other Language Forum (Svenska) is so far ok not arrogant and rude.. but You have to learn Swedish then to understand.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »
One thing that disturb me when I read postings is that red bullet floating back and forth..
Everything that moves on the screen when I read a text will disturb me.
Will it help if I send a bug report  :cool:

et voilĂ .. do you feel better n ow? :-)

BTW the The Other Language Forum (Svenska) is so far ok not arrogant and rude.. but You have to learn Swedish then to understand.

that's not true.. for italian language one I've asked for moderation..

Ciao
Stefano

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 09:19:31 AM »
Thanks for the help on the port topic everyone.

I agree these forums are getting a bit ridiculous lately. I once thought of these forums as the best and most helpful. And stated this in many other distro forums.

Agent86.. you are not a stranger coming into a town asking for directions.. you "live" in this "town" since 4 years and you've asked directions more than 500 times..

BTW, before answering your first post I did exactly the same actions I do everytime:
- click on "search" link
- entered 3128
- return

is it so difficult?

I kindly ask you to read here.. you are english mothertongue, so you will fully understand.

regarding
I can't believe it has to be mentioned, but here goes.
As of 1-4-09 new years resolution to take no b/s from no-one.
If you don't like my questions please do not answer my posts.
Rude responses will be reciprocated proportionally;and you will be put on notice as a forum heckler.

I think this is the worst way to approach the forums..

have a nice day
Stefano

Offline Foa

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
et voilĂ .. do you feel better n ow? :-)

that's not true.. for italian language one I've asked for moderation..

Ciao
Stefano
Thanks Stefano (My sons name is Stefan)
That is better..

Offline Foa

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »
Agent86.. you are not a stranger coming into a town asking for directions.. you "live" in this "town" since 4 years and you've asked directions more than 500 times..

BTW, before answering your first post I did exactly the same actions I do everytime:
- click on "search" link
- entered 3128
- return

is it so difficult?

I kindly ask you to read here.. you are english mothertongue, so you will fully understand.

regarding
I think this is the worst way to approach the forums..

have a nice day
Stefano
I must say I agree with what Agent86 have been pointing at.. it looks sometime very rude and unfriendly forum.
But in the same time we need to be able to tell people what to do and not to do.
The problem perhaps lays on the fact that a post with a rude comment stay on the forum to be read for years... if not the moderator delete it.
Can You fix the forum in a way that I can post a message and also click on at button that will give me a choose how many days may message is showned?
So if I tell Stefano something that may be taken as a rude message or the message is not that importent, but it is urgent to tell Stefano... I can choose let say 7 days.. then my message will go lost..
Is that a way?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:54 PM »
Why chastise someone?

Simply because people who are lazy waste valuable time of others which would be better spent on something productive.

Offline mrjhb3

• +0/-0
    • John Bennett Services
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
Simply because people who are lazy waste valuable time of others which would be better spent on something productive.

Then those people don't have to bother answering questions which they feel are beneath them to answer.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »
Then those people don't have to bother answering questions which they feel are beneath them to answer.

It still takes time to read, John.

You might call it "chastising", but others would call it encouraging people to help themselves and to use proper forum etiquette.

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
    • LEI Engineering & Surveying
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
There is etiquette in any GPL community like this that is pretty easy to follow.   Most of the veterans on these boards are MUCH more gracious with their time and advice than your typical GPL forum or mailing list. 

Nothing productive can come of continuing this thread, therefore it will be closed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:03:06 AM by gzartman »
----
Greg J. Zartman
LEI Engineering & Surveying

SME user and community member since 2000.