Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server 5.6 out of disk space

Offline djhewetson

• +0/-0
SME Server 5.6 out of disk space
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:52:38 AM »
Before anyone says a word, I know this is an obsolete product, but it has been running happily for years without intervention :-) (since 2002 I think)

I now get an "out of disk space" message during a reboot, and the email is not flowing (it is configured as Server-only with multi-drop email).

Has anybody got any ideas on how to flush some temporary files or something to get it running again?

Thanks,
Derick

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: SME Server 5.6 out of disk space
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:57:40 AM »
Before anyone says a word, I know this is an obsolete product, but it has been running happily for years without intervention :-) (since 2002 I think)

I now get an "out of disk space" message during a reboot, and the email is not flowing (it is configured as Server-only with multi-drop email).

Has anybody got any ideas on how to flush some temporary files or something to get it running again?

Thanks,
Derick
Did you recently download stuff or receive large e-mails?

Some tricks to find out what is consuming the disk space in general for linux migt help you get started:
To show you which partition/mount point is full:
Code: [Select]
df
To tell you which directory (in this case one level below where you are now) is containing which amount of data:
du --si --max-depth 1You can adjust the maxdepth if you like details on a deeper level.

If you would like this two levels deep from the root you could do something like this:
cd /
du --si --max-depth 2
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline David Harper

• +0/-0
  • Watch this space
    • Workgroup Technology Solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:51:03 AM »

< Insert obligatory note about what a huge security risk running SME 5.x is here >

Ahhhh, I feel better now 8)

Offline djhewetson

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:09:56 AM »
I managed to free up space, but the mail still wouldn't move in or out, so I bit the bullet and upgraded to SME 7.4 . Everything is working again :-)

Offline David Harper

• +0/-0
  • Watch this space
    • Workgroup Technology Solutions
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:28 AM »
Good to hear that everything has worked out. Welcome to the 21st century!  :mrgreen: