Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

[Solved] How do you configure a Workstation Backup?

Offline dgs

• +0/-0
Re: How do you configure a Workstation Backup?
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
I really think that what we are dealing with here does not come under the scope of the manual.

I'm not sure either way. The manual is after all what we expect everyone to follow when configuring.

I am wondering if it wouldn't be best to do a HowTo under something like "configure windows share for Workstation backup" and link it in the Tip box about CIFS.

Ideally the possible problem can be pointed out from either location.  Reading through bugzilla it is obvious minds with skills far greater than mine (IE: the devs) are still thinking of possible solutions, but maybe the way around for the short to medium term is better documentation.

B2WS does work flawlessly once these gotchas are ironed out. So your suggestion of a how-to linked to the docs is probably the best suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:41:02 PM by dgs »

Offline Bud

• +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »
I like the topic " How do you configure a Workstation Backup? "

My question still is : well how do you do a workstation backup?

Hope to get this solved soon  :smile: I need have regular backups of about 20 Windowz XP Workstations.

Offline mercyh

• +0/-0
    • http://mercyh.org
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 04:56:17 PM »
Bud,

Have you posted in a new thread? I never even realized what the topic said because I was think the same way as the OP  :eek:

I would suggest you ask your question in a new thread with the topic something like "How do I backup windows workstations on SME"

Offline LANMonkey

• +0/-0
    • Database Collection of Transcripts for the ICTY
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 05:54:29 PM »
I like the topic " How do you configure a Workstation Backup? "

My question still is : well how do you do a workstation backup?

Hope to get this solved soon  :) I need have regular backups of about 20 Windowz XP Workstations.

Bud, the "Workstation Backup" being discussed here is a backup from the SME Server to a workstation.  You want to backup your workstation to SME Server, right?  That's another thread you should start.

And you should check out Windows Home Server that makes the job pretty seamless.  It does require client software to be installed, but it is a completely transparent process.  Actually Windows Home Server only allows 10 clients maximum.

And also, you should be seeing SME Server showing up as computer as a member of the workgroup that the rest of your LAN belongs to.  But only if you have assigned your SME Server to the same workgroup in the "Workgroup" part of the "Configuration" section in the website manager.  Once you have access that way, you can use Backup and Task Scheduler to create an automated backup system.  But you will have to do it computer by computer -- as far as I know.  I haven't actually done this myself.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:17:26 PM by LANMonkey »

Offline dgs

• +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009, 01:09:22 AM »
I would suggest you ask your question in a new thread with the topic something like "How do I backup windows workstations on SME"

Bud, the "Workstation Backup" being discussed here is a backup from the SME Server to a workstation.  You want to backup your workstation to SME Server, right?  That's another thread you should start.

Hi bud, as suggested it is probably best you start a new topic and that would probably be most appropriate in the General section of the forum. Given it is probably more related to windows interaction with SME than with SME itself.

Although Backup to workstation is for backing up the SME server it may well prove the answer to how you backup your workstations or more correctly how you backup your work. Lateral thinking may well offer you a simpler and far more workable solution.

What are you trying to backup?
You mention Windows shares, have you considered whether workstation shares are the best way to store, use and share your work?

Whatever your needs, it is an interesting and often asked topic with no right answers.

Offline Bud

• +0/-0
Re: [Solved] How do you configure a Workstation Backup?
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 05:20:57 AM »
Thanks for trying to help guys. I really appreciate it. Yes I have realised that the Backup Procedure mentioned here is for an sme to workstation backup. No Problem there.

I have used various apps like backuppc etc. to do backups for my workstations but i'm looking just for an easy sme linux app that will look at a workstation(s) shares eg: " c$ " or whatever and then without installing a "client" on the workstation, backup the folders, data etc. for that workstation. 

Any ideas?

Thanks again  :smile:

Offline dgs

• +0/-0
Re: [Solved] How do you configure a Workstation Backup?
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 05:42:50 AM »
Thanks for trying to help guys. I really appreciate it. Yes I have realised that the Backup Procedure mentioned here is for an sme to workstation backup. No Problem there.

I have used various apps like backuppc etc. to do backups for my workstations but i'm looking just for an easy sme linux app that will look at a workstation(s) shares eg: " c$ " or whatever and then without installing a "client" on the workstation, backup the folders, data etc. for that workstation. 

Any ideas?

Thanks again  :smile:

Here's an idea.

Why not use the power of your SME server and use iBays for your shared storage.

Advantages are
  • you do not need the workstations powered to access data from another computer.
  • you have centralised control of access levels, groups and passwords
  • a backup solution is already included in a base build of SME
  • home shares offer each user a secure and private backup space

If you setup your server and workstations (must be pro versions) for domain log-on you can easily map common drive letters to your shares.

Just a suggestion, I know it's not exactly what you are after, but it will provide similar functionality to your request and a lot more features too.

Do you have any pressing reason for your shared data to remain on individual workstations?