Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Windows and SME logon without using a domain

Offline JBrennan

• +0/-0
Windows and SME logon without using a domain
« on: April 06, 2009, 04:11:37 PM »
Our setup is simple – the SME acts only a fileserver, and we have the computers configured for sharing as a ‘workgroup’ and not as a ‘domain’.

If I set up someone with a new user account (windows username and password equal to the SME username and password) on a Windows machine, they can logon automatically to the SME server after completing their Windows logon. However, I have not been able to find a way to provide this same automatic logging on for someone with an existing Windows username – short of creating a new windows account for them and copying all their documents folders.

Any suggestions appreciated.

John

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Windows and SME logon without using a domain
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 05:16:01 PM »
Our setup is simple – the SME acts only a fileserver, and we have the computers configured for sharing as a ‘workgroup’ and not as a ‘domain’.

If I set up someone with a new user account (windows username and password equal to the SME username and password) on a Windows machine, they can logon automatically to the SME server after completing their Windows logon. However, I have not been able to find a way to provide this same automatic logging on for someone with an existing Windows username – short of creating a new windows account for them and copying all their documents folders.

Any suggestions appreciated.

John
I suggest switching to domain mode as this makes maintenance much easier as you only need to create the user at one place and have a centralized location for assigning users to groups instead of having to do so on every system.

What do you mean by creating new windows accounts for them? Where are you creating them?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline JBrennan

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
Thanks Cactus for your response

Domain mode: I was trying to avoid this route because as there is a lack of experience around here with this, and I myself am leaving here later in the year.

New user account: I thought I might have been confusing with my terminology, but that is what Windows calls them - I can create a new user account on the Windows machine and if I give it the same u/n and p/w as the SME server, then it will logon automatically to the SME server. But if I simply try and change the name of an existing user account in Windows, it doesn't work, as it doesn't change all the related registry entries.

Offline dgs

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:40:08 AM »

But if I simply try and change the name of an existing user account in Windows, it doesn't work, as it doesn't change all the related registry entries.

You will effectively have to restart windows every time you wish to change a user, it soon becomes a major pain with users continually being challenged for credentials. And of course you will have to maintain identical credential in every Windows workstation.

Domain mode: I was trying to avoid this route because as there is a lack of experience around here with this, and I myself am leaving here later in the year.

Setting up a domain will take less of your time than persevering with a workgroup configuration, it's no more difficult with SME than setting up a domain for NT.

http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter7

The usual gotchas apply. 

- You must be running PRO or business versions of windows. (as you would with an NT or W2K server)

- Make sure the existing workgroup name is different from your Domain name before attempting to register a workstation. If it isn't then change the workgroup to something that does not match first then continue as usual.

SME user account can easily be given Windows workstation administrator group rights as appropriate. Once done you have centralised authentication at your server which will apply for all workstations.

Offline JBrennan

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 12:34:22 AM »
I’ve experimented with using a domain to login today and I’m somewhat more comfortable with the idea. I’ve also managed to find out how to copy (and therefore move) user profiles in Windows, so that solves my original problem with existing users accounts.

But I’m still not sensing the need to configure every computer in the office to use a domain to login.

I agree that to logout under the workgroup option requires a restart, but as most of the computers are single user machines, that is generally not an issue. And the manual instructs in how a domain controller can automate drive mapping.  But are there any other practical benefits of a domain controller for relatively simple setup like ours?

I didn’t really understand the significance of what you meant by “And of course you will have to maintain identical credential in every Windows workstation”

Thanks

John

Offline dgs

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 01:42:14 AM »
But are there any other practical benefits of a domain controller for relatively simple setup like ours?

The real benefit from your users perspective is they will not constantly be challenged for credential when accessing shared resources.

I didn’t really understand the significance of what you meant by “And of course you will have to maintain identical credential in every Windows workstation”

If you use a workgroup user names and passwords need to be set up in every windows machine. and when changed, changed at every machine. In the domain you only need to maintain one set at the server, it doesn't take too many users, (and the inevitable machine swaps etc) before the domain setup becomes a real time saver for the user and the administrator.

Hope this helps a little to explain.

Offline David Harper

• +0/-0
  • Watch this space
    • Workgroup Technology Solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »
If you use a workgroup user names and passwords need to be set up in every windows machine. and when changed, changed at every machine. In the domain you only need to maintain one set at the server, it doesn't take too many users, (and the inevitable machine swaps etc) before the domain setup becomes a real time saver for the user and the administrator.

Very good point DGS. Using a domain is a great idea for exactly this reason.

Your issue with user profiles can be dealt with by using Roaming Profiles. Although you'll still have to copy data into new profiles for your users, once this is done each profile will be available no matter where the user logs in.