Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Samba, Ldap and windows XP

Offline rikki_max

• +0/-0
Samba, Ldap and windows XP
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:48:18 PM »
Hello.
I have a Windows XP computer (client).
A SME server linux just installed today.
I set the server up so it it would be the auth ldap server for my network.
I managed to get my client to join the domain and login without errors.
But i cannot work out how I can get my client to get the profile from the server (the default's are not doing the job), the profile is mounted BUT it isn't being used.

Any ideas?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Samba, Ldap and windows XP
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:25:07 PM »
But i cannot work out how I can get my client to get the profile from the server (the default's are not doing the job), the profile is mounted BUT it isn't being used.
Do you mean roaming profiles? You did enable them? Your users are logging in to the domain?

You've read this?
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:Administration_Manual:Chapter13#Workgroup
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline rikki_max

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:39:40 AM »
Yes i enabled roaming profile.
Yes my users can login to the domain.
I cannot thou get my clients to use the server profile as the users profile.
I have mapped h: drive for the user profile.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »
I cannot thou get my clients to use the server profile as the users profile.
I have mapped h: drive for the user profile.
I think you mean their home directory. You do not need to map their profile folder as their desktop settings and looks should be loaded elsewhere.

Are you seeing any specific error messages or other pointers as we have very little to go on and the battery of my crystal ball is low. :-)
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline rikki_max

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »
Let me rephrase my question.
I have a windows XP client.
When I log into a user account hosted by a SME server (domain controller, file server).
The user profile is not copied from the server or even used.
The user profile is mounted thou.

What I need is that the user profile is copied from the server or actually used as the current home directory, and on log off saves back to the server.

Simple or do you need something else?

Offline robwellesley

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:04:32 AM »
from your XP client do

Start > Run > \\servername\profiles 

Offline rikki_max

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:34:59 AM »
Thank you for that one peace of information.
I managed to create the netlogon script to copy from the server.
Do you guys know a way to copy back to server on log off?

Offline robwellesley

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »
With roaming profiles enabled in the server, My Docs gets copied back to the \\server\profiles\user at logoff.

Offline rikki_max

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:42:25 AM »
Well something must be up with my network then.
Can you post your smb.conf and netlogon.bat?

Offline robwellesley

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 04:01:26 AM »
smb.conf is default (no custom templates); No netlogon.bat

Server is Domain controller, roaming profiles is enabled,  PC is joined to domain, domain is logged onto (as opposed to logging on to the PC),  profile DOMAINNAME.user is created in c:\documents and settings (or Vista equivalent), this profile is 'saved' into \\server\profiles\user at logoff

Offline Brave Dave

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:22:51 AM »
? Does your WinXP say User Profiles say Local
? Does your WinXP Log on Quickly or Slowly

You Could: Set up a new user and log on and test the above

Is you SME Server the Domain Controller [yes] and DHCP and DNS Server ?

Any Antivirus software ?

Are there any Messages in the Event Log ?
.:DB:.

Offline rikki_max

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 07:17:48 AM »
When i log into my computer though the domain, i select my domain for doman server.
i type in user pass ext. and login.
it is fast logon.

My server is not a dhcp server i already have a device doing that on my network.
I do not know about the dns server.
But there is no messages in event log from what i saw.

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »
You have to have the time synchronised between the server and XP machine. You also have to have the regional settings configured correctly. From a cmd prompt on your XP client, run
net time \\server /set
and synchronise your clocks. Roaming profiles won't work if your out of synch which is why you should always have the net time in your netlogon.bat. But, you need to let XP users have permission tpo change the time. Log on as XP local admin, run gpedit.msc, go to Computer Config->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment and double click Change The System Time in RH pane. Add "Everyone" to your group. The regional settinsg need to be set correctly in both the SME and Windows as it is all affected by UTC recalculation as to the correct time stamps beiong applied to server and XP files.

Offline rikki_max

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 04:19:21 AM »
Thanks I got it to work after a bit of modification on netlogon and group policies.
Now to get this to work on linux and mac agghhh lol.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
Thanks I got it to work after a bit of modification on netlogon and group policies.
Now to get this to work on linux and mac

could you share the modifications?

thank you

Offline rikki_max

• +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 08:16:31 AM »
in netlogon I made it to remove drive H because it keeps it connected after logout (maybe something i have done and shouldn't have).
I also did basic configuring for group policy which was suggested.
And I made drive H map to \\server\profiles\%USERNAME% because it saves profiles to \\server\profiles so instead of mapping it to the user's ibay map it to the users profile folder.

But I am yet to work out a way to syncronise group policies via SME server.

Offline axessit

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 06:15:07 AM »
Home folders and user profile folders are separate things. It goes back to the good old WinNT days. The profile is all your settings and preferences (favorites and the like), and yes, by default it also includes your My Documents folder. You can share them, but if you map your My Documents folder to \\server\%username%, this will go to the server in their home folder (not really an iBay) and you can limit the amount of space they consume (if they're into storing heaps of photos, videos and music files for example) through the use of the SME quota. You can also see the stats of these and find out your big users. You can also map your My Docs to the home folder and make better use of smaller hard drives in the XP machines as they don't have to hold a local copy of everyone's documents. It also makes for faster logging on/off as they don't have to drag down all your documents off the server to your local My Docs folder every time you log on and off.

The disadvantage is that some programs (and they all seem to be M$ ones) don't like reliably opening files across the network - such as email. What you may not realise though is that there are two parts to your profile - the "local settings" part of the Xp machine does not get uploaded to the server, which often includes your email, depending on what email client you choose to use. You can edit all the major ones (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird that I know of) to point the data store to your saved profile, and thus have roaming email if you are using pop3. Otherwise you can use imap and keep all their email on the server. Email is another source of people filling up profile space.

There are other reasons for having My Docs on a network or home drive and separate from their profile such as when you have multiple logins under the same user (which you get in schools) - the teacher can access and assist with everyone's documents from one PC instead of having to go around all the PC's. And that way the profiles don't get overwritten (ie the My Docs) when users log off from the PC's one at a time, as the stored profile is only the last one to log off.

As for keeping H drive connected, are you correctly logging into the domain, or are you creating local users on the XP machines ? It shouldn't keep the home folder mapped after logging off. The Home Folder is mapped by SME when a user logs on as part of Samba when you are using roaming profiles, and gets removed when you log off. Using netlogon to remove it means your profile won't get correctly updated when you log off. Your profile automatically gets saved to \\server\profiles\username. I think this is why it is remembering the map after you log off. You could disable drive mapping persistence when you map it.

If you're worried about users clicking on the H drive and seeing all the other users profile folders (which they can't actually access), then you can hide the drives (using regedit or again putting in your logon script).

As for group policies - that's a windows server thing. You can't use it in an SME environment. If you want to stop users playing around with settings, then implement mandatory profiles (I do that in schools) or use lots of reg files in your logon.bat file.

If you want to change your home folder drive and or play easily play around with testing users and groups etc, install the e-smith-loginscript contrib. I think it works on 7.4, but I think there was a bit of a bug, can't remember. I got it working anyway.