Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Splitting mail for a domain ...

Offline dlmj12

• +0/-0
Splitting mail for a domain ...
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »
I have done a quick search through the forums, but couldn't find anything substantial related to this..

I wanted to get some advice/opinions on a approach we are taking...

We currently have a SME server accepting mail for a domain, we have <30 users on this server.
The company is nationwide, and has been running a domain scheme of user@area.company.co.nz for sometime. They have recently decided to switch every office in the country to user@company.co.nz.

To do this, they will except email on the exchange server in Auckland, and distribute/forward email to the original user@area.company.co.nz.

The users email addresses will be set to user@company.co.nz on our local email clients. I wanted to avoid the situation of all internal email being sent to the Auckland email server and being forwarded back again.

To avoid this I plan to add entries to Qmails virtualdomains (/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains)
Each user on the server will have the following entry, maybe more depending on the addresses required.
>  user@company.co.nz:user

If the email address is matched then the mail is delivered to the local account, if it is not matched, then the email is correctly sent to the company.co.nz exchange server in Auckland.

I have setup a test scenario using a virtual machine and run some tests, it appears to be working correctly.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this sort of mail 'splitting'?. Do you have any further advice? Am I missing something?