Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME has Competition ?? ClarkeConnect now = ClearOS

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: SME has Competition ?? ClarkeConnect now = ClearOS
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 06:02:40 AM »
calisun

A sme8 beta forum does not guarantee beta testers, but I believe it will guarantee queries from people who are having problems using the beta. Unfortunately forum use is seen by some as "less serious", "less intended" and "having less committment", casual if you prefer, and there are many examples of people not following through to bugzilla.

The thread you just referred to clearly spells out the reasons why there will be no sme8 beta forum. You do not seem to be able to accept this.
That thread also advised you to just get on with the task without needing a forum to do so.

In that thread sme8 beta testing was NOT closed for discussion, but a sme8 beta forum was.
Can you please get off your "hobby horse style" demands for a sme8 beta forum.

It has been stated that any and all matters relating to sme8 beta testing & development are to be posted on bugzilla, so please do so if you want the developers to be seriously looking at those matters/posts.

The issue of the use of the forums for early problem diagnosis etc has been discussed many times, even in relation to the current & past sme server versions.

As I understand it, nothing is stopping anyone from posting in say the General Discussion forum on any matter (preferably related somehow to sme), so you could post any sme8 beta query there. Even developers have stated that if people want to do pre bug triage in the forums, then that's OK with them, but please be sure to post a bug in bugzilla when it becomes evident that the issue is or may be a bug.

Please note the words at the top of the forums when you do a new post.
"Don't report problems here - Please report bugs and potential bugs in the bug tracker"

They imply that the "issue/problem/potential bug" does not already need to have been determined to be a bug in order to be reported to bugzilla. It's implying that indeed bugzilla is the place where a problem will be determined to be a bug or not.
If it turns out not to be a bug in terms of bugzilla criteria, then go back to the forums with the matter, or elsewhere if appropriate (which is commonly the case ie upstream or application issues).

So report anything you want about sme8 anywhere you choose that is already supported by the powers that be.
Does the location really matter to you, is it really that important to have a new temporary forum ?
The developers preference is in bugzilla as they do not want sme8 beta bug triage to be scattered anywhere else, and there is a single place for them to look and do their work.

Bugzilla as a forum is quite OK, as once you make a post you get an email notification of any changes etc, and there have been some very long threads in bugzilla, just like in the forums. There is a better management interface in bugzilla though.

Please drop the topic of a sme8 beta forum as has already been asked of you in other posts, and just get on with doing testing. Thanks.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 07:23:39 AM »
get off your "hobby horse style" demands
Here we go again with personal attacks.

And they are not just my demands, Soprom just asked for SME8 forums right now, and if you search forums, many other people have asked for it also in the past.

Besides, this is exactly why I told Stefano that I have no interest in discussing this. I already knew how this whole conversation will end up.
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
To all

It has already been stated elsewhere that a sme8 beta forum will NOT be created.
This post and a few before it, have gone "off topic".

Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline paradigm

• +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »
After reading the 3 page discussion and being new here i would like to humbly offer two suggestions :

1.Maybe consider posting a banner or some kind of ad for testing sme 8 (it is not really clear in home page)

2.maybe consider offering a paid "same business day support"  and use the revenue for sme.

In the mean time i will start testing sme 8 on a vm server as much as i can (1-3 hours a week i hope).

Offline shawnbishop

• +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2009, 04:51:43 PM »
How did this turn into a SME8 thread...

I just suggested looking at Clear Foundation...and as others have mentioned I have looked at Ebox again, did so a while back, found it didnt fulfill my needs, ( think that was version 0.8 ), looks interesting now..

And Yes i will test SME8 as I said :-)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 04:54:00 PM by shawnbishop »

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
2.maybe consider offering a paid "same business day support"  and use the revenue for sme.
A very good suggestion, discussions on this are going on on the discussion lists ATM.

In the mean time i will start testing sme 8 on a vm server as much as i can (1-3 hours a week i hope).
Do so, all testing is appreciated.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline Elliott

• +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
I think it turned into an SME8 thread because that's inevitable when we talk about different distros.
Elliott

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:57 PM »
The foundation will be chaired by John H. Terpstra, a long-serving member of the Samba development team and an untiring evangelist for all things open source.

John's an old friend of mine. And I see him across the room at the Linux Plumbers Conference. I'll go and have a chat with him and see what they are up to :-)

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »
John's an old friend of mine. And I see him across the room at the Linux Plumbers Conference. I'll go and have a chat with him and see what they are up to :-)
Go get'm ;-)
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline shawnbishop

• +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »
I see they have delayed their Beta release...not a good way to start??

Sure they will have it by the weekend though

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 12:18:39 PM »
I see they have delayed their Beta release...not a good way to start??

Sure they will have it by the weekend though

mmhh.. just a question.. who cares? :-)
S.

Offline slords

• +3/-0
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 05:59:11 PM »
So lets stop with personal attacks and try to figure out why the community went from 200 users online a day down to 30 users online a day.

To debunk this numbers game let me throw out some real numbers.  The "users online a day" used above isn't that at all.  It is a peak number of users online at a give instance.  This isn't any kind of indication of anything.  When you release something new you are going to have a rush of incoming users trying to see what is going on and that number will skyrocket.

Currently the peak day (according to the numbers at the bottom) was July 4, 2008 with 313 users online at the same time.  For 2008 that monthly average peak was around 130-150.  The webstat number for 2008 show that we had about 18k unique visitors/month, 38k visits/month, and 500k pages/month.  For 2009 we are sitting at 22k unique visitors/month, 44k visits/month, 500k pages/month.

If you add the wiki (2008 = 30k/60k/400k, 2009 = 35k/70k/600k) and the bugsilla (2008= 11k/15k/35k, 2009 = 11k/14k/40k) then you can see that the numbers of "at an instant online" that the forums report doesn't mean anything.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline thomasch

• +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 04:43:03 AM »
SME will not sink like Titanic, but I have a feeling it is sinking,  slowly...

thomas

You jump I jump - Jack Dawson

Offline shawnbishop

• +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »
I love the SME distro..it is fantastic...what would it cost to revamp the interface??

I am completely aware that it doesnt make a difference to the Administrators etc...but to the corporate environment like nice "eye candy"...

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
I love the SME distro..it is fantastic...what would it cost to revamp the interface??

I am completely aware that it doesnt make a difference to the Administrators etc...but to the corporate environment like nice "eye candy"...

well.. start working on css and then submit your work in bugzilla..

anyway, instead on thinking about the administration interface look, I'd think about integrating LDAP and, for example, Zarafa.. I'm studying zarafa manual and planning to create a server-manager panel to manage users, groups, roles ecc.

is there anybody interested in? (yes, I know, I should ask such a question in dev's ML)