Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

how many user can SME handle?

Offline elg3ne

• +0/-0
Re: how many user can SME handle?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
In the Users panel in server manager you can forward email on a per user basis to any other desired address ie to an email address on another local server.

Users already will receive email for all domains setup on sme server, so if you setup the main domain1 and a virtual domain2, and then you only advertise users1-150 as being on domain1 and users151-300 as being on domain2, then the requirement to send to different domains for a range of users is already supported. See the Pseudonyms section of the manual.

yes mary, this is exactly what i want to do... technically, i will setup 2 sme mail server, SME1 (domain.com) which will act as email receptionist :-) it will catch all the emails for my company. then if SME1 found that the user has an alias, then it will forward the email to my SME2 (sub.domain.com). in this way, both server will not be overloaded. user at SME1 will download email at SME1 & users at SME2 will download email at SME2.

On the other side, the email address of all my user will be same eg. @domain.com.

Offline paradigm

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 07:52:11 PM »
yes mary, this is exactly what i want to do... technically, i will setup 2 sme mail server, SME1 (domain.com) which will act as email receptionist :-) it will catch all the emails for my company. then if SME1 found that the user has an alias, then it will forward the email to my SME2 (sub.domain.com). in this way, both server will not be overloaded. user at SME1 will download email at SME1 & users at SME2 will download email at SME2.

On the other side, the email address of all my user will be same eg. @domain.com.

This will maybe split the load between two mail servers , they both will be working all most the same like 1 mail

server , and if the first one dies you will have no way to receive  mail !

Same for sending mail , which server will serve as an smtp server ?  , you cant use two in same time ...

And if the server which has the role of smtp dies you will not be able to send mail...

What will you do with webmail ?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:58:06 PM by paradigm »

Offline elg3ne

• +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »
yes paradigm you are correct, it maybe split the load between the 2 SME & that is my goal..
yes again :-) if the 1st SME dies, there is no way to receive email. but it is also the same thing if i use only 1 server. the purpose of 2 SME mail server is just to lessen the load of the 1st SME mail server.

i think sending email is not a problem because either of the 2 SME can send email. both can serve as smtp server, its just a matter of configuration on the mail client... in any case, a newly setup SME can send email right?

on regards to webmail, i have a little knowledge with php so i'm planning to write a php script that will read user on a db when the user enter his/her email & pass...
then the script will check whether the user is from domain.com or sub.domain.com
if validated, the script will forward the user either to the 2nd SME or 1st SME.
i think it is doable.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:46:47 PM by elg3ne »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 01:33:59 AM »
elg3ne

There are two methods being referred to here. One is to forwrd email on a per user basis either via the User panel in server manager or by configuring aliases.

The other is to delegate email for a second domain to another mail server.

Which method you use will depend on what compromises you can accept eg mainly that all users will have the same email domain name or a altenative email domain name ie domain1 or domain2. There is obviously more or less complexity with each method.

Personally I don't see why you just don't run a single mail server. Email is typically an erratic process and not everyone is accessing it at the same time. qmail will queue message delivery and you can easily adjust the number of instances to control mail flow in qmail and qpsmtpd to prevent mail from overloading your server. End users usually do not notice these control limits.

It really does depend on usage frequency and volume and whether your users make a lot of use of webmail (ie server based email application). You have not told us any "load figures" as yet that would allow this to be assessed.

Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline paradigm

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 01:28:04 PM »
I agree with mary , just use one mail server for mail , it should handle the load ...

yes again :-) if the 1st SME dies, there is no way to receive email. but it is also the same thing if i use only 1 server. the purpose of 2 SME mail server is just to lessen the load of the 1st SME mail server.

Yes but using one mail server and one affa backup server for it is a lot better the splitting the mail to two servers.

i think sending email is not a problem because either of the 2 SME can send email. both can serve as smtp server, its just a matter of configuration on the mail client... in any case, a newly setup SME can send email right?

That is not a vary good idea port forwarding wise , and off course having to change the smtp server setting

In 300 mail clients isn't vary fun either.

Here again 1 mail server and 1 Affa backup server for it will be a lot better ,

Lets say your mail server dies you just rise the Affa backup mail server and give it the same ip of the old

Mail server and your done , no configuring 300 mail clients , no two domains forwarding , and great redundancy

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »
paradigm

...you just rise the Affa backup mail server and give it the same ip of the old Mail server ....

IIRC the rise will give all production configuration settings to the backup server, no manual setup of IP reqd ie after the signal-event post-upgrade and reboot.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.