Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Email has "slowed down"

Offline 12345kevin

• +0/-0
Email has "slowed down"
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »
We have been using SME server for approx 4 years now without any real intervention other than new accounts etc. Recently the hard drive filled completely and email stopped as you would expect. We have deleted and archived a considerable amount of emails and also a few Gb of files that were stored on the server.

However the emails are still very slow to be read and sent using IMAP, occasionally getting "disk full" messages.. I have tried rebooting and then reconfiguring the server to no avail. Any tips how to get back up to speed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Email has "slowed down"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
hi, welcome here

occasionally getting "disk full" messages.

where do you read such a message? on your email client? maybe outlook/outlook express?

Offline 12345kevin

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:41 PM »
Sorry, yes the email client (thunderbird) is reporting disk full (or words to that effect)

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »
Did you update your server when updates were available? If not you might be running into the problem that mail is not delivered because clamav is outdated and disabled because of a discovered security flaw, see for details: http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,45850.msg223709.html#new

Please log into your server and show us the output of:
Code: [Select]
df
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 03:21:20 PM »
Sorry, yes the email client (thunderbird) is reporting disk full (or words to that effect)

you should report the exact error message, thank you

Offline 12345kevin

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »
df show's

Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/main-root
                      75732080  71884948       172 100% /
/dev/md1                101018     19240     76562  21% /boot
none                    256888         0    256888   0% /dev/shm
[root@mumbles ~]#

I guess it thinks the hard drive us still full, although we have deleted at least 8,000 emails and 2Gb's worth of data.

I'm awaiting the correct message from those on site regarding what Thunderbird reports.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
well..
at this point we don't need the error message..

you have your hd full..
is it your SME up-to-date?

what's the result of
rpm -qa 2>/dev/null | grep clam | sort
?

Offline 12345kevin

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
well..
at this point we don't need the error message..

you have your hd full..
is it your SME up-to-date?

what's the result of
rpm -qa 2>/dev/null | grep clam | sort
?

clamav-0.88.6-1sme01
clamav-db-0.88.6-1sme01
clamd-0.88.6-1sme01
smeserver-clamav-1.2.0-02

I've just move another 2-3 Gb's of data off the server and still showong 100%. Any way of getting it to scan hard drive etc ?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 04:12:44 PM »
clamav-0.88.6-1sme01
clamav-db-0.88.6-1sme01
clamd-0.88.6-1sme01

mmmhh... what version is your SME?
the issue you are experiencing is that your clamav/clamd (AV) setup is broken..

so, please, disable virus checking for mail..

what the output of
cat /etc/e-smith-release
?

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »
clamav-0.88.6-1sme01
clamav-db-0.88.6-1sme01
clamd-0.88.6-1sme01
This means your server is seriously out-of-date. You should update (at least all clam* packages). Apart from that I wonder where you are moving your mail to. Are you moving it to another server or storage location or are you just relocating it on your server?

You first need to make some space on your / partition, then update (at least) clam related packages and see if that resolves the mail queue issue. Furthermore I suggest you try and keep your machines more up-to-date if possible.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
This means your server is seriously out-of-date. You should update (at least all clam* packages). Apart from that I wonder where you are moving your mail to. Are you moving it to another server or storage location or are you just relocating it on your server?

You first need to make some space on your / partition, then update (at least) clam related packages and see if that resolves the mail queue issue. Furthermore I suggest you try and keep your machines more up-to-date if possible.

I think that a simple clam* rpms update won't work as he should update smeserver-clamav also (for new variables).. and, for the dependency question, this would upgrade any other rpms.. it's not so easy IMHO

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »
I think that a simple clam* rpms update won't work as he should update smeserver-clamav also (for new variables).. and, for the dependency question, this would upgrade any other rpms.. it's not so easy IMHO
Right, did not think of that...

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »
I guess it thinks the hard drive us still full, ...

df is reliable - it is still full.

Deleting a message from an IMAP folder is not enough to return its space. You also need to 'expunge' the folder. The message is only marked for deletion before then.