Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server with Windows 7 permission issue

Offline vaf

• +0/-0
  • Loving SME Server
SME Server with Windows 7 permission issue
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:07:54 PM »
I am sure this is an easy fix, but I can't find anything to solve it

I have 3 ibay's that I have setup, however I can't get users to share them nicely

All users are on Windows 7.

Essentially there are three level of user - A, B and C (there are six A users, one B user and two C users)

A have full access to share A, B has full access to shares A & B, and C has cull access to all three

The problem is that any folders created by any of the A users cannot be changed by the B and C users and vice versa (ie every other combo). This includes creating folders in a folder created by a differt type of user.

Looking at the permissions on and of the shares using Windows Explorer shows, for example a file created by A as having access by user A, but I can't give full access to Everybody.

I need the to have the structure so that has full access to share A, B has full access to shares A & B, and C has cull access to all three

Please help - how do I get the permissions to allow C to have full access to everything (read/write create), etc

I have setup the restrictions fine, but the C user only has ready only most of share A.

What am I doing wrong / have I forgotten?

Thanks

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
    • http://www.charton-mgmt.com
Re: SME Server with Windows 7 permission issue
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:24:07 PM »
I've been using this contrib http://wiki.contribs.org/SharedFolders for sharing different folders to different people using a variety of WinxpPro, Vista, Win7Pro.   So far have not had any issues with security. 

Offline vaf

• +0/-0
  • Loving SME Server
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
How do I install this? Do I need to do it from the server, or can I do it using the web login (192.168.1.XXX)/server-manager)?

If I have to do it from the server, how do I get the the prompt line in order to install? Once logged in I get the menu.

Thanks

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
vaf, please read carefully the fine documentation..
you are asking something you should already know

thank you

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
Too many variables to give you a step by step here.  I would suggest you
A.  Print off the instructions from the wiki link
B.  Login to the SME server using root at the server, or use putty to login to the server remotely if thats setup.
C.  Follow the wiki instructions.

If you are inexperienced with linux or even traditional DOS managebility, I would strongly suggestiong paying a consultant in your location to come in and install this for you.  As always, have a good backup.  Unless your SME server has alot of custom configurations or specialized apps on it, the install process should take about 10 minutes and a reconfigure/reboot.

Offline vaf

• +0/-0
  • Loving SME Server
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »

thank you

Why so unhelpful, Stefano? All you needed to say was login as root instead of Admin - I tought these forums are for collaborative help not cheap laughs.

B.  Login to the SME server using root at the server, or use putty to login to the server remotely if thats setup.

Thanks daniel - I've used Ubintu for a while - I rarely login as root - use sudo or su to perform root actions

I've been using this contrib http://wiki.contribs.org/SharedFolders for sharing different folders to different people using a variety of WinxpPro, Vista, Win7Pro.   So far have not had any issues with security. 

I'll check this out, and report back. Thanks

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
Why so unhelpful, Stefano? All you needed to say was login as root instead of Admin - I tought these forums are for collaborative help not cheap laughs.

ou contraire mon ami..

I'm not laughing at you, I'm suggesting you to read the manual to:
- learn how to admin SME
- learn how SME works
- spare your time

Offline vaf

• +0/-0
  • Loving SME Server
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »
ou contraire mon ami..

Don't have the patience for this off topic banter.

daniel, Your solution is exactly what I was after, works perfectly and has solved another SMB issue I was having with a Canon printer/scanner!!!

Have you used your server in multiple locations before. I have also posted about what I think I will need a crash course in VPN, http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,45971.0.html

Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:13:53 PM by vaf »

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »
I have not used multiple location servers with SME.  I use the built in pptp VPN of SME to work remotely from anywhere and this seems to work very well with some changes in the windows VPN client.  I do have a few ideas on making things like this work, but don't have the time to test them myself.  Plus, I'm sure there's enough forum posts and wiki posts to get someone pointed in the right direction for Dual SME server VPN connections.

Good luck.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 04:22:49 PM »
Don't have the patience for this off topic banter.

I see, you want all and you want it now, for free ;-)

Offline vaf

• +0/-0
  • Loving SME Server
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 02:18:48 AM »
Thanks daniel

Have you setup a seperate user account for each individual, or communal user name for each level of user?

What would you recommend?  I am thinking it is easier to administer with communal, and if I use individual accounts will I have a problem adding new users down the track (ie not having access to existing files as permissions are pre the new user)

I created a folder in the new "Shared folder" and it gives correct access to each user. If I move the files from the old iBay to the new Shared Folder will I need to fix the permissions on each folder?

Thank you so much for you helpful feedback.

Offline vaf

• +0/-0
  • Loving SME Server
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 02:20:59 AM »
I see, you want all and you want it now, for free ;-)

No, this is a support forum, and yes it is free. I am using this site for it's intended purpose, whilst you bignote yourself by putting less experienced users down.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 02:59:30 AM »
vaf

I am sure this is an easy fix, but I can't find anything to solve it
I have 3 ibay's that I have setup, however I can't get users to share them nicely
Essentially there are three level of user - A, B and C (there are six A users, one B user and two C users)
A have full access to share A, B has full access to shares A & B, and C has cull access to all three

What you ask for is already supported by default in SME server, and requires no add ons, it just requires you to properly setup a structure for your users access rights in server manager.
This is done with groups & group memberships.
Create a group for each ibay or ibays (in the Groups server manager panel), ascribe that group as owner of the ibay (in the ibay server manager panel), and then add the required users to each group depending on which or how many ibays they are entitled to access.
eg (if I understand you correctly)
Group A owner of ibay A
Group B owner of ibay B
Group C owner of ibay C

User A member of Group A (giving access to only ibay A)
User B member of Group A & B (giving access to only ibay A & B)
User C member of Group A, B, C (giving access to only ibay A, B & C)

Groups are so easy to configure, and are the whole basis of a properly setup & administered SME server, in regards to controlling user access.

You do not say what technique you originally used to setup user permissions (that was not working correctly for you), but if it involved manually setting of permissions via command prompt or similar, then you have taken a very wrong approach.

Stefano's post to you to read the manual is quite a correct one, it seems you are unaware of this default administrative approach using groups, which had you read the manual, you would have been aware of.

Please "tone down" your response to other forum users suggestions, just because they do not meet your expectations does not give you a right to deride them.
Yes while this is a free forum, the repliers time is not free to them.
You have a responsibility as a user of this forum to respect any post that anybody makes, and you should be grateful for all answers given to you, whether you like them or not.
As an inexperienced user (in your own words) please heed and take the advice that is given, rather than passing judgement on the advice (& advisor) because you think (in your admitted inexperience) that it is not the right answer.
The answer given above is in the manual, so you could have saved your time and other peoples time, had you spent a little more time reading first and asking later.
I would guess there would be a whole lot more things you could learn about using SME server if you did read the manual !!!
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline vaf

• +0/-0
  • Loving SME Server
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 03:36:36 AM »
Please "tone down" your response to other forum users suggestions, just because they do not meet your expectations does not give you a right to deride them.
Yes while this is a free forum, the repliers time is not free to them.
You have a responsibility as a user of this forum to respect any post that anybody makes, and you should be grateful for all answers given to you, whether you like them or not.
As an inexperienced user (in your own words) please heed and take the advice that is given, rather than passing judgement on the advice (& advisor) because you think (in your admitted inexperience) that it is not the right answer.
The answer given above is in the manual, so you could have saved your time and other peoples time, had you spent a little more time reading first and asking later.
I would guess there would be a whole lot more things you could learn about using SME server if you did read the manual !!!
You assume wrongly that I haven't read the documentation. I have, and whilst I am, not experienced with this distribution I have worked with other Linux OSs before.

Again, I do not see how:

thank you
is a suggestion that is helpful to this thread, and anything other than a "Gold Supporter" being an ass.

I have had the iBays setup as you have stated from inception:
Create a group for each ibay or ibays (in the Groups server manager panel), ascribe that group as owner of the ibay (in the ibay server manager panel), and then add the required users to each group depending on which or how many ibays they are entitled to access.
eg (if I understand you correctly)
Group A owner of ibay A
Group B owner of ibay B
Group C owner of ibay C

User A member of Group A (giving access to only ibay A)
User B member of Group A & B (giving access to only ibay A & B)
User C member of Group A, B, C (giving access to only ibay A, B & C)

Groups are so easy to configure, and are the whole basis of a properly setup & administered SME server, in regards to controlling user access.

But I am having issues with folders being created by user A not being editable by users B and C. When I check the permissions in Windows, it shows only permissions for User A, and I can't add the other users.

daniels suggestion of "Shared Folders" works perfectly, and permissions are assigned to each folder in the Share for the relevant users.

mary and Stafano, I can't stress enough a couple of lessons I have learnt over my time
  • If you haven't got something nice to say then don't say anything at all.
  • No one likes being told they are lazy or an idiot, and never assume that they are either other these things
Think about these points before you critcise me, or any other person trying to use these forums for their intended purpose.

Offline daniel

• +0/-0
  • Platinum Sponsor
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 04:04:45 AM »
vaf,

Perhaps I could give you a few custom ideas in an alternate venue.  If you click on my name in the left column you can find my email addy.  THis way you can give me some exact details that I would need to determine if the setup I use will work the way you want it to.