Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Fowarding Mail to External Fail

Offline Paul

• +0/-0
Fowarding Mail to External Fail
« on: May 13, 2010, 08:38:03 AM »
My SME server does not forward email received from external domain. I have configured one account to forward the email to external email.

Example:
Forward user1@mydomain.com to user1@externaldomain.com

If I send email from user2@mydomain.com to user1@mydomain.com, it will be forwarded to user1@externaldomain.com.

However, if I send email from user3@externaldomain2.com (eg, user3@aol.com), only user1@mydomain.com receive the email, and not user1@externaldomain.com

Previously it was work fine.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Fowarding Mail to External Fail
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »
However, if I send email from user3@externaldomain2.com (eg, user3@aol.com), only user1@mydomain.com receive the email, and not user1@externaldomain.com

Most likely reason is that externaldomain.com is classifying that email as spam. As you state it, the email is forged as coming from aol.com, which is false.

In future, if you ever think SME server software is malfunctioning, open a bug report, and provide full (uncensored) details of what you think should be working which isn't.

Offline Paul

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 08:47:06 AM »
Thanks for the info, CharlieBrady!

I have checked and found it was not due to SPAM.

I have got the following log of failure:
del  xdelay  reason
  2    0.87  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx does not like recipient./Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 Relaying not allowed: user3@aol.com/Giving up on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx./

My SME server is using the SMTP server of my hosting company to relay emails. The SMTP server will only accepts email from my domain, which I believe is the reason the forwarding email is being rejected.

For your info, I have configured the "Mail server user id" using admin@mydomain.

Is there any way to configure my SME server so that those forwarding email can go through my hosting company's SMTP server?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:12:47 PM »
Is there any way to configure my SME server so that those forwarding email can go through my hosting company's SMTP server?

You would have to talk to your hosting company.

But instead, you should relay via your ISP's SMTP server.