Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Deleted file content

Offline svetlo56

• +0/-0
Deleted file content
« on: June 10, 2010, 05:35:37 AM »
I was stupid and left a text file open and someone deleted everything from the file and closed with 0 bytes content (all that was in is gone). Trying to recover text that was deleted. Tried MC but could not find anything helpful. Any suggestion? i.e. is there any utility that I can install to help search a string on a raw disk so I can recover the data? Hopefully the file wasn't too fragmented...

No I didn't make a backup....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:41:18 AM by svetlo56 »

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Deleted file content
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:49:40 AM »
That depends what you were editing. If it was a configuration file it might be regenerated, otherwise your data is just lost and you will need to start from scratch as there is no such option to undelete.

Please invest some time in a backup routine as that might save you some hassle in the future.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline svetlo56

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »
It was not a configuration file, just plain text file. There must be some utility to scan the disk for a string of chars..

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:36:13 AM »
It was not a configuration file, just plain text file. There must be some utility to scan the disk for a string of chars..
No, once again I am sorry, there is not for SME Server. Or you would be willing to spend big buck and have it send off to one of the data restore centres that are specialized in tasks like this.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)