Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

XP Workstation login problem - Bug 6010

Offline Paperguides

• +0/-0
XP Workstation login problem - Bug 6010
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:33:09 AM »
I have a login problem with one workstation at a customer.  The message log shows:

Jun  3 09:16:50 thurley smbd[6930]: [2010/06/03 09:16:50, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:_net_auth_2(461)
Jun  3 09:16:50 thurley smbd[6930]:   _net_auth2: failed to get machine password for account DRAWINGS$: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I have looked through the forums and done a Google search but can see any solution.  It is probably down to my search skills. :-(

Can anyone help?

The workstation is running XP with all security and most optional updates installed.
The SME server is patched to 7.5 but was built from a backup restored to a 7.4 base.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:23:09 PM by wellsi »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: XP Workstation login problem
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:21:11 PM »
I have a login problem with one workstation at a customer.

Don't report problems here - Please report bugs and potential bugs in the bug tracker

Offline Paperguides

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »
I DO NOT KNOW IF THUS A BUG. I don't think it is I THINK it is set up issue.

What is the point of a forum if not ask questions?

As "requested" I have raised a BUG report.

http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6010

Offline idp_qbn

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
It sounds like your machine is trying to connect to a domain and is NOT a member of that domain.
You need to get it to JOIN the domain first. You also need to know the administrator name/password - the one you manage the SME box with.

Right click "My Computer" ands select 'Properties".
Now click on the Tab "Computer Name"
Next to "To rename this computer or join a domain" there is a "Change" button. Click that.
Under "Member of" click the  "Domain" button, type in the domain name and click OK
Now you will have to enter the administrator name and password.
After a few seconds (all going well) you should get a message saying your PC has joined the domain.

Hope this solves your problem.

Good luck
Ian

Offline Paperguides

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:17:50 AM »
The system thinks it is part of the domain and I have tried leaving and rejioning the domain without success.

This evening I gave it another try and it worked!?!  :?

I have changed several things since my last attempt;

1) several days ago I changed from Fixed IP to DHCP
2) today I moved the system from the domain to a workgroup - reboot
3) changed the name of the system - reboot
4) rejoined the domain - reboot

and it worked.

Why?  Was it the IP change, the sequence, the name change?

Offline Igi2003

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:31:01 AM »
Today I tried to update my SME to 7.5. My server is configured as DC to and my Workstations works in my Domain.
First I remove one of the three HDD´s from RAID, yes, i have three active HDD´s in RAID1 Mode. If the Update crash or my DC will not work, so I have a older HDD to restore back to 7.4
I removed my sme7-open-xchange-conf RPM and update my system, it work all very well. I have no Problems with DC. I´ve tried to join an VM XP to Domains and it joined without problems.

Regards igi

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 01:00:24 AM »
Paperguides

....Why?  Was it the IP change, the sequence, the name change?

If you had followed through at bugzilla, then maybe you would have got the answer.
Anything that is not working as it should be, can be considered as a bug. Exactly where the bug lies and whether the SME devs will do anything about it gets determined in bugzilla. If they cannot or will not resolve the problem in bugzilla, then you can come back to the forums for further help.

As you have now made so many changes to your system, it will be hard (if not impossible) to track the cause of the problem in bugzilla.
If your issue is truly a bug to do with upgrading SME and/or restoring from backups, then the bug remains not fixed, and will still be an issue for others to come.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Paperguides

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 01:14:17 AM »
My apologies but I had a very agitated customer pushing very hard for a solution.  I did not expect the actions I took to change anything but (only) from a customer relations point of view I'm glad it did.

Your comment:

Anything that is not working as it should be, can be considered as a bug. Exactly where the bug lies and whether the SME devs will do anything about it gets determined in bugzilla. If they cannot or will not resolve the problem in bugzilla, then you can come back to the forums for further help.

is a very fair point which I had not seen put so clearly before and which will bearing mind if I have any problems in future.