Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME Server on a hosted VPS (e.g. Linode.com)

guest22

SME Server on a hosted VPS (e.g. Linode.com)
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
Hi all,

I'm trying to get some help on trying to get SME Server on a VPS (Xen based) over at linode.com.

If you're interested, would you be willing to pitch in some help please?

I would love to see to be able to deploy a (reasonably proced) hosted SME Server.

See: http://www.linode.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5620

This is NO SPAM, and not intended as such, as I need to start somewhere with some hosting service.

Thanks,

Offline jameswilson

• +0/-0
    • Security Warehouse, trade security equipment
Re: SME Server on a hosted VPS (e.g. Linode.com)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:11:48 AM »
i run a few sme's on xen (citrix) without issues. Installing it was the hard bit as the it would run from cd. im assuming it the other xen though

Offline Mophilly

• +0/-0
    • Mophilly
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
Back in 2008 I was considering the same thing. I have a client who uses linode. I posed the question to the folks at linode.com and they offered this link as a starting point: http://thegrebs.com/docs/linode_distro.html

I don't know if the link is still relevant, as I don't have the time to follow up right now. Still, I am interested in your project and will contribute where/when I can.
- Mark

guest22

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:09:53 AM »
Hi guys,

thanks for the responses.

I've followed this: http://library.linode.com/advanced/custom-distro-howto
which is a lot like the how-to that Mark referenced.

I've installed SME Server (SME 8B5) in virtualbox and when SME Server goes to a reboot after initial install, I killed the VM, resulting in a 'ready to config' SME Server at the next boot.

The real problem seems to be getting the LVM structure of SME Server over to linode. When I follow the above how-to's, I end up (of course) with only the SME Server /boot partition and not the LVM structure. Not bootable, but /boot by itself is transferred correctly.

I guess we need a partition/LVM guru pitching in some help here...?

Next there is the SME specific kernel and modules issue with Xen, but it seems James can help us with that ;-)

Regards,

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:14:51 AM »
I guess we need a partition/LVM guru pitching in some help here...?

No, you can just install with 'nolvm'.

Next there is the SME specific kernel and modules issue with Xen, but it seems James can help us with that ;-)

There is no SME specific kernel, and the modules are all optional (appletalk, dialup and PPTP VPN).

guest22

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 01:26:46 AM »
Still on this, WIP. 'dd' a 2.5 Gb image is not trivial with only a 35K upload capacity at the moment.

'nolvm' did the trick, thanks Charlie.