Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Multiple Wordpress web site on SME server

Offline peterhocking

• +0/-0
    • Welcome to the Hockings at Canberra
Multiple Wordpress web site on SME server
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:40:20 AM »
Hi

My SME Server currently hosts 2 domains, each with their own web site. One is an ordinary web site, (in an ibay), the 2nd one is a wordpress site using the contrib at http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress.

I need to set up a 3rd domain on my SME server & am wondering if the wordpress contrib will allow me to run 2 wordpress web sites. I'm guessing that it can't but hopeful that it can.

Can anyone advise which is correct?

TIA

Peter

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Multiple Wordpress web site on SME server
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
peterhocking

If you reinstall wordpress contrib, it will replace the existing install, wiping out your existing site in the process.
To use the contrib again, you first need to move the current wordpress install to say /opt/wordpress1 then rename the mysql db to wordpress1 and change the wordpress configuration file to reflect this new location and db name. You would most likely need to re-enter the wordpress user and db password in mysql, for the new db name.

Then you can install again using the contrib.
It would be a good idea to move that to /opt/wordpress2 or even to an ibay.

Review the Worpress contrib wiki article and also see the mysql wiki article and the Site Maker contrib wiki article for good information.

Alternatively just download the wordpress tar file and install it manually to an ibay or /opt but you will also have to manually configure mysql and wordpresss & sme specific settings (copy how the contrib does it).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:11:58 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline peterhocking

• +0/-0
    • Welcome to the Hockings at Canberra
Re: Multiple Wordpress web site on SME server
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:18:31 AM »
Hi Mary

Peter