Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Upgrade Disk process - trouble mounting old drive

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Upgrade Disk process - trouble mounting old drive
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 02:51:26 AM »
After reboot I'm getting a constant message dumped on the screen:
Code: [Select]
Cannot assign requested address: make_sock: could not bind to address 192.168.0.5:443
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

I couldn't get control

I'm pretty sure your problem is because you have different NICs on your new hardware, and your LAN networking is not coming up. You need to reconfigure for your new hardware.

Switch to second console using Alt-F2. Log in as root. Do:

sv d /service/httpd-e-smith

This will stop the messages, which are from apache startup.

Run "console" and choose option 2 (configure) and configure everything (which will choose the correct drivers for your NICs). After reboot, you shouldn't have the "Cannot assign" messages.

Offline pssl

• +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 11:55:30 PM »
Charlie,

Thnaks for you your help.  You are correct.  I am upgrading to a brand new machine, with brand new NICs.  I'm surprised that this would be a problem after the upgrade.  My understanding was that the upgrade didn't affect the hardware config.  Regardless, I'll take a run at what you suggest.  It rocks that linux provides the ability simply open another instance of the console.  I knew about this from precious wanderings, but never thought of it in this situation.  I'm used to Window where if the OS is screwed up your screwed.  That's what I assumed here.

Mary,

As always, thanks very much for the additional info.  You've been so helpful. 

Even though it's been a rough ride so far, I have learned a lot, both from the folks on the forum and from the additional reading I've had to do.  I was reasonably comfortable using SME to set up accounts, ibays, etc., but I knew nothing about the more technical side of admin.  It's good to learn this stuff.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
pssl

I am upgrading to a brand new machine, with brand new NICs.  I'm surprised that this would be a problem after the upgrade.  My understanding was that the upgrade didn't affect the hardware config.

I think by "upgrade", you are really meaning "restore". You have restored data from a sme 6.x system which includes different NIC settings.
That's why you need to run "Configure this server" after the restore, so the new NICs will be auto detected and configured. 
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline pssl

• +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 06:26:08 AM »
Mary,

Re upgrade vs restore...terminology...will I ever get it straight.  :)  I guess from my perspective it's an upgrade...new machine, larger disks, raid, new sme version.

Anyway, I followed Charlie's instructions, got control of my machine, which, as it turns out, was never really lost.  The reason I couldn't log in was because after the restore I had to use the password from the old server instead of the one I entered during the install of the SME 7 on the new machine; I didn't understand that Upgrade Disk restores everything, including password files.  Once I logged in as admin and re-ran Configure, the problem with the NICs went away.  Thanks Charlie.

I then checked the server.  All my data is there and all my users, groups and ibays are as well.  I ran config show backup and saw no evidence of the erroneous parameter (Progam=CopyFromDisk) that was the result of a messed up command I entered previously.  All that remains is to put the server online and test it out.  That's next.  Standby.

Offline pssl

• +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 06:14:28 PM »
SUCCESS!!!!!!!  Everything came up by magic.

Well, except for an issue with the security certificate.  I believe there is a fix for this somewhere in Howtos.  I found it once.  The odd thing about this is that it is only an issue in Firefox on my desktop computer.  All other computers running the same version of FF report the issue but provide a way to add an exception.  My desktop throws the error and that's it; it does not provide the option to proceed anyway.  Anyway, that's an issue for another time/forum/thread.

Thanks all for all you amazing help.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »
SUCCESS!!!!!!!  Everything came up by magic.
No, that's by design ;-)

The odd thing about this is that it is only an issue in Firefox on my desktop computer.  All other computers running the same version of FF report the issue but provide a way to add an exception.  My desktop throws the error and that's it; it does not provide the option to proceed anyway.  Anyway, that's an issue for another time/forum/thread.
Most likely you stored the certificate of your previous server on your system, so you did not need to click away the error message for the self-signed certificate that SME Server uses by default, but we can not tell for sure since you do not tell us what the exact error message is.

If my assumption is right you should be able to remove the certificate for your domain in your browser and then it should prompt you again with the new certificate (and the desired actions) once you reload the page.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline pssl

• +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 05:04:56 AM »
Cactus,

Of course...that makes sense...the restore restored everything including the old certificate.  Here's the Firefox error message:
Code: [Select]
cherubim uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
The certificate is only valid for <a id="cert_domain_link" title="cherubim.mycomapy.xxx">cherubim.mycomapy.xxx</a>

(Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)

I'm struggling as we speak trying to get Firefox to accept the certificate.  I've been able to on all my other machines.  It's just the Desktop I'm having trouble with.  As far as I can tell, all machines are running the same version of FF.  Odd.  I've deleted the entries for the server in the Authorities window of FF, but I'm still getting the message.

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 07:02:58 AM »
I've deleted the entries for the server in the Authorities window of FF, but I'm still getting the message.
SME Server is not a authority. I am not sure which version of FF you are using, but in mine, the client certificates can be found under the following: Tools > Options > Advanced > View certificates > Servers. Delete the offending certificate(s) there.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline pssl

• +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »
Cactus,

You're right, I ref'ed the wrong tab. I deleted all references to the server, but it still throws the error.  I have to get on the FF forum.  Not a big deal; I can access the server manager from my other machines.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:25:06 PM by pssl »