Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Migrate 7.5.1 to 8 using old internal drive for 'restore'

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: Migrate 7.5.1 to 8 using old internal drive for 'restore'
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
Hmmm.

I htink you may be making life hard for yourself, and getting a missed up with what you can and can't do.

Why if you have two SATA drives are you only installing to one ???

Think you might have been better to have installed a clean system to your new SATA drives, run the pre-backup on your PATA drive, install it alongside the SATAs and restore from there. That should drag everything on to the two new drives (which should be mirrored).

If you have a read through the wiki including manual, howtos, FAQs etc, I think you will find that it does mention that contribs won't be copied over - either the packages or templates. Packages should be removed, and templates moved out of the way, prior to upgrading. The reason is that you cannot cover all eventualities, and the developers have no idea of what you have installed or changed, so can only test on a clean installation.

HTH
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline SuperGrover

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 03:22:24 PM »
Thanks John!

I will make a Raid 1 out of the 2 disks, but I prefer the promise hardware raid, rather than the SME software raid.

I'm running Affa as we speak, with the bug noted so the rpms-missing should not be empty. Most difficult thing will be to find the parts I forgot to copy from the old drive, and where these files are....

I just don't understand why a running PATA installation is so difficult to copy/move to a running SATA. Other than the interface of the disk, which is handled by the drivers, there's no reason I can think of why it is this difficult.

I will post updates about the moving here  8-)

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 03:59:41 PM »
Thanks John!

I will make a Raid 1 out of the 2 disks, but I prefer the promise hardware raid, rather than the SME software raid.

If you read around here, I think generally the software raid is considered to be the better option.

I'm running Affa as we speak, with the bug noted so the rpms-missing should not be empty. Most difficult thing will be to find the parts I forgot to copy from the old drive, and where these files are....

I have never tried this but I am sure it will work OK. My own preference has been the disk backup method as above - if anything goes pear shaped, I reboot the original install and I'm back to normal.

I just don't understand why a running PATA installation is so difficult to copy/move to a running SATA. Other than the interface of the disk, which is handled by the drivers, there's no reason I can think of why it is this difficult.

I think it depends on the method used :-)

I will post updates about the moving here  8-)

Excellent.
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline SuperGrover

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »
I'm working my way through the LONG list of rpms_missing  :-(

Offline SuperGrover

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
It worked !

Situation: Current server [1] with Pata drive would also become new server with Promise SATA card and SATA drive.

I used an even older computer [2] to install the Promise Card and SATA drive. Installed SME7.5.1 on it and did the Affa trick described HERE

Installed the most critical rpm's, squeezeboxserver, gallery2, tof4-brt and some admin tools, all via SSH on the [2]

I had to hand-copy the /opt directory from the old server  :-? I did not want to sort out the [include]  function of Affa.

After the final affa --run prodserv I switched off both [1] and [2], moved the SATA drive from [2] to [1], booted up and it almost worked instantly.

I had to sort out which network card was internal and which one is external, but luckily I wrote down these settings from the original [1].

As I am typing this, I'm connected again to the internet on [1] with the SATA drive.

I do have to figure out why Gallery 2 is not starting via the link I previously used, but this is a minor  :)

Thanks all for the help!!

Offline SuperGrover

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 09:52:43 PM »
hmmm, installing Gallery2 at [2] was not a good idea :(

Reinstalling it now, hopefully I can get all my data back via import on the MySQL database  8)

Offline slords

• +3/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 12:23:21 AM »
To be short, how can I easily change the current 1 disk PATA installation to a 1 disk SATA installation without all these problems. This shouldn't be this hard in my opinion, this way the software RAID of SME server over 1 PATA and 1 SATA disk is useless, because the machine won't boot from the 'backup' disk.

It isn't that hard.  Add the drive to the raid mirror using either the cmdline or the console and let it sync.  While it is syncing ensure you have a line in /etc/modprobe.conf for the sata controller.  An example of what I have on one of my boxes is:

Code: [Select]
[root@handel ~]# grep scsi /etc/modprobe.conf
alias scsi_hostadapter ahci
alias scsi_hostadapter1 aic7xxx
alias scsi_hostadapter2 3w-9xxx

If you already have a scsi_hostadapter line just add a new one and add a number to the end (like my example above).

After you have the scsi_hostadapter lines correct in /etc/modprobe.conf you need to regenerate the initrd files that you boot from in order to include the new drivers you need to access the sata drives.  You can use this script to regenerate all the initrd files.

Code: [Select]
ls /boot/initrd-*.img | sed 's,.*initrd-\(.*\)\.img,\1,' | while read initrd
do
    mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-$initrd.img $initrd
done
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook

Offline SuperGrover

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
Thanks slords!!!

Little bit too late for me now, but maybe other users can benefit from this! I will create a link also in THIS topic 8-)

Thanks again for the solution!