Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Corrupted partition

Dangerous Dave

Corrupted partition
« on: July 01, 2002, 06:15:19 AM »
Hello folks iwas hoping someone may be able to help with a prob i had with SME server 5.1.2.
Wanting to evaluate this product I installed 2 days ago for the first time on a 2 disk system with software mirroring and everything was great up until last night.......
I logged into the admin interface and did a internet connectivity test and it spat back a heap of error messages.So i switched to a shell and tried to ping an internet address and it core dumped,tried any command and it core dumped....ok i thought, it had thrown a fit and ill reboot.
Well that was the last time that machine was running as it absolutely will not boot up.It jus says 'non system disk error' etc etc.
So,i boot off a floppy and go into the install routine to see if i can rescue the data i stored in an 'ibay' by choosing upgrade.The install process identifies the hda disk as having a corrupt partition and trys to reformat,however it crashes when it tries to do that.
I had installed the latest update blade if that has any signifigance....
I mean id really like to manually choose where certain partitions go but im yet to see this option. (i apologize if there IS that option and ive missed it!)
Anyway i was wondering if it has to do with the software mirroring option i chose?
If its mirrored onto the second disk is it possible to reformat disk 1(hda) and somehow copy the old data over?
Cheers

Nathan Fowler

Re: Corrupted partition
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2002, 11:48:50 PM »
This sounds like more than just a corrupted partition, it looks like you have a hardware issue such as a defective hard disk or something along those lines.  Is the IDE controller good?

Dangerous dave

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2002, 03:42:46 PM »
Thanks for the reply,
Bad IDE controller?
Not sure but I had wincrash..er... windows 2000 server running off both disks for a good 12 months without dramas.(well disk related dramas anyway!)
I replaced both disks with a single one,re-installed and so far so good.....
Just out of interest if a wanted to say,have one disk with the squid cache on it is it possible with e-smith?
Or even have the /home dir on a seperate disk?Just a thought.....
Cheers

John Crisp

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 10:15:10 PM »
Darrell May used to have a Howto on salvaging a damaged RAID array but it seems to have gone.

Anyone seen it recently ?

B. Rgds
John