Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Connecting to Firebird database

Offline mrtblt

• +0/-0
Connecting to Firebird database
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »
Hello,

We recently installed a new server. In this server runs SME 8. In the server machine exists 3 disks :

1 - SSD ( SME and other necessary software was installed on this disk. I also keep firebird database files on this disk )
2 - HDD1 ( main file sharing media )
3 - HDD2 ( mirror disk for HDD1 )

Before installing SME, we had a simple Windows 7 work network which was connecting the clients to each other. The connection string retrieved from our accounting software's ini file was the following :

Code: [Select]
[NETWORK]
SERVER=USER2
PATH=C:\NEYWORKS\DATA\

Now I made the following change in the ini file after copying database files to the respective location

Code: [Select]
[NETWORK]
SERVER=MASTER
PATH=\OPT\NEYDATA\

Here MASTER is the name of the new server run by SME and \OPT\NEYDATA\ is where I copied firebird database files.

When I made this change, I receive the following error message

Unable to complete network request to host "MASTER". Failed to establish a connection.

I can connect to the server. In fact to Ibays but I cant manage it by firebird.

I think this is about permissions. Because I connect to Server with my user name and password defined in SME admin panel. But probably firebird tries to connect its predefined 'SYSDBA' username and password 'masterkey'

Anybody may help me to resolve this problem?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:29:28 PM by mrtblt »

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Connecting to Firebird database
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »
From their documentation:

Installing on Linux and other Unix-like platforms

In all cases, read the Release Notes that came with your Firebird package (chapter Installation Notes, section Posix Platforms). There may be significant variations from release to release of any Posix operating system, especially the open source ones. Where possible, the build engineers for each Firebird version have attempted to document any known issues.

If you have a Linux distribution that supports rpm installs, consult the appropriate platform documentation for instructions about using RPM Package Manager. In most distributions you will have the choice of performing the install from a command shell or through a GUI interface.

For Linux distributions that cannot process rpm programs, and for Unix flavours for which no .rpm kit is provided, use the .tar.gz kit. You will find detailed instructions in the Release Notes.

Shell scripts have been provided. In some cases, the Release Notes may instruct you to edit the scripts and make some manual adjustments.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline mrtblt

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:53:13 PM »
Dear Cactus,

I am just a beginner in Linux and I dont know how to implement those stuffs.

This is my problem...

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
I am just a beginner in Linux and I dont know how to implement those stuffs.
No problem, we all have to start somewhere.
To host databases you normally need a service providing the functionality, since windows and linux packages are not compatible you will need to install firebird on SME Server. Your best bet would be RPM packages suitable for RHEL5 or CentOS 5 as this is where SME Server takes it's packages from.
If in doubt ask, but try to be specific, so we can give you the best advice and/or instructions we can.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline NickUpson

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
I think there is more than one issue here:

1) firebird does not connect via network share

2) the database file must exist on the same machine as the firebird server process, do you install and configure this on the new server?

3) copying the database files is a BAD idea, you can have a corrupt copy and its possible to corrupt the original, either ensure nothing is using the database (copy then ok) or take a backup and restore that into the new location