Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

"Network busy" when opening file from SME

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
"Network busy" when opening file from SME
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »
Hi,

I'm running a SME 7.5.1 in a small business. We are 15 users. Some of the users, includeing myself, often experience a "Network busy" error when we are opening files on the server. Computers experiencing the problem are alle using Windows 7 Professional, and the files are Word and Excel, using Office Professional Plus 2010. When I'm opening a file, I get a dialog box with the message "Network busy". Then I can click on OK and then open it again without problems. Is there a solution for this?

Regards,

Carl

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: "Network busy" when opening file from SME
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »
first of all you should check in M$ KB the real meaning of the error message.. it could be a windoze issue

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »
first of all you should check in M$ KB the real meaning of the error message.. it could be a windoze issue

M$ - I like that  :D

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
Seems like it could be a network problem: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeitpro/thread/e297584d-5b40-44c3-a563-00b808908eb1
But I can't figure out how to narrow down the field for troubleshooting, any ideas?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »
weblance

You say:
....Some of the users......often experience a "Network busy" error when we are opening files on the server. Computers experiencing the problem are all using Windows 7 Professional, and the files are Word and Excel, using Office Professional Plus 2010....

So does that mean/imply some users never experience the problem, and if so are those users using Win 7 Pro +Office Pro Plus 2010 to access Word & Excel files ?

Also does that imply there are users on workstations using a different variant of Windows eg Vista or XP or ?, who do not experience the problem ?
Are those users on a different OS, using different versions of Office to access Word & Excel files (ie the same files as others have problems with) ?

Please elaboate a bit more on other situations that may or may not exist in your network.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline weblance

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »
All users use Office 2010. Some of the users have Win XP Pro and some Win7. Only users with Win7 experience the problem. Some of these experience the problem every time they open a file and some experience the problem occationally.

Offline dcihon

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 12:46:58 AM »

Typically of Microsoft, it is a totally useless error message, providing no usable information about what the problem. is.