Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME 8 email issues

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
SME 8 email issues
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
My attempt at using backup and restore to move to SME8 failed - could not read the backup.

However using Dar2 appeared to work with ibays pruned which were then restored using WinRar backups.

An issue I am having is to do with email accounts, I have a lock appearing on 1 account, I can see the inbox but other folders in the same account are not accessible using Thunderbird 10.0.2,

If I try accessing  with Outlook Express everything shows but if I try mailing I get
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server.

Also getting a Relaying denied Port 25 Secure SSL No. Server Error 550

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
Re: SME 8 email issues
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:44:08 AM »
My attempt at using backup and restore to move to SME8 failed - could not read the backup.

However using Dar2 appeared to work with ibays pruned which were then restored using WinRar backups.

An issue I am having is to do with email accounts, I have a lock appearing on 1 account, I can see the inbox but other folders in the same account are not accessible using Thunderbird 10.0.2,

If I try accessing  with Outlook Express everything shows but if I try mailing I get
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server.

Also getting a Relaying denied Port 25 Secure SSL No. Server Error 550

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

In the absence of suggestions I was able within Outlook Express to copy the files to a new user account. There was one folder that I could not copy and may have been corrupted.

I then deleted the account which was locked and unreadable using Thunderbird. I then created it again but it would not allow it so I had to search for the error message and there were suggestions on deleting as root which must have worked as I was able to then create the user account again and copy mail back to it. Now it works in Thunderbird. I never could get email to send from version 8 with Outlook Express so other than for copying to the new folder there appears to be no use for it.

Ken

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
Also getting a Relaying denied Port 25 Secure SSL No.

You need to configure the client to use encryption. I think this is covered in the release notes, and has been mentioned here numerous times.

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »
You need to configure the client to use encryption. I think this is covered in the release notes, and has been mentioned here numerous times.

Using encryption ssl or startls is how we got Thunderbird to work -

You are right though Outlook Express now works with SSL enabled but "Do Not Log on using Secure Password Authentication" or it doesn't find the boxes.

Same issue with Thunderbird - use passwords required but do not use Encrypted Passwords.

Additional benefit - I just tried running Selective Restore of a full backup and it now shows. I could never do this with SME 7.5 so I assume the damaged mail file within a folder interfered with a full DAR Backup - as well a Full Dar Restore would not work. However as mentioned the Dar2 backup did work

I would advise anyone using Dar backups to see if they can do a selective restore - if they can not, then do not expect to be able to do a Restore.

Ken

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »
In future, please:

- Report all problems via the Bug tracker. This advice appears every time you post in the forum - please do not ignore it:

Don't report problems here - Please report bugs and potential bugs in the bug tracker

- Keep things simple in the forums - one issue only per post will confuse people less and will probably get you better answers.