Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Keeps losing connection to smeserver

Offline CtdeBlesse

• +0/-0
Keeps losing connection to smeserver
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »
I use SMEserver for a while now, but i have a new (little) server based on a Gigabyte GA-D510UD with 4gb. i have a 2tb drive where sme server is installed on.
I use this server for a couple of months now, but i noticed about a month of 2 ago that when a was watching a movie (or something) that de connection to de smeserver was lost, en i had to wait a couple of minutes and than it came back online.

First couple of times i tought it wasn't that big of a deal, but now it happens very randomly. i can ping my server (with -t) and then i see that is is online, but a couple of pings later i get a time-out and than a couple of seconds later it is on. but this happens very randomly. sometimes i can ping it all day, and i have no problems. but sometimes it is like 5 good pings than 5 bad etc.

I couldn't find anything of interest in de log files, but im not a sme expert.

But it start to get very anoing, because i have about 500 to 600 gb of data that i don't want to lose. and a can't copy this to my pc because after a couple of seconds of minuts it loses its connection.

Now i hope that maybe someone here can help me, or give me a little kick in the right direction because i lost it...

I hope i explained it good enough.

(Sorry for my bad english, its not my main language)

Offline cactus

• +3/-0
    • http://www.snetram.nl
Re: Keeps losing connection to smeserver
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »
Did you already check you cables, connections and all equipment in between?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth ~ Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
CtdeBlesse

....i have a new (little) server based on a Gigabyte GA-D510UD with 4gb......
I use this server for a couple of months now, but i noticed about a month of 2 ago ........... that de connection to de smeserver was lost......

This appears to be a new server that has never worked correctly since installation.
You give us very little information regarding your network & general setup, which could give us clues to properly diagnose what in your system is causing the problem.

Apart from more obvious cabling & connection issues, my "guess" is to look at network card (NIC) incompatibility issues.
That motherboard uses the RTL8111D chipset
see
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3343#sp
and here is one search result which indicates problems with Smoothwall (which I believe uses Linux), so it is likely to also have problems in SME server.
http://boardreader.com/thread/RTL8111D_compatibility_9w7sXrot.html

You should search for more information regarding compatibility of that chipset

You could try disabling the on board NIC in the m/b BIOS and connecting a plug in NIC (preferably a compatible Intel variety), and see if the problem persists or goes away.

Also you should search the forums, see
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,45957.msg224610.html#msg224610
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:03:18 PM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline CtdeBlesse

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:51:01 AM »
Did you already check you cables, connections and all equipment in between?

I changed everything bye now... (cables/switch/router)

CtdeBlesse

This appears to be a new server that has never worked correctly since installation.
You give us very little information regarding your network & general setup, which could give us clues to properly diagnose what in your system is causing the problem.

Apart from more obvious cabling & connection issues, my "guess" is to look at network card (NIC) incompatibility issues.
That motherboard uses the RTL8111D chipset
see
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3343#sp
and here is one search result which indicates problems with Smoothwall (which I believe uses Linux), so it is likely to also have problems in SME server.
http://boardreader.com/thread/RTL8111D_compatibility_9w7sXrot.html

You should search for more information regarding compatibility of that chipset

You could try disabling the on board NIC in the m/b BIOS and connecting a plug in NIC (preferably a compatible Intel variety), and see if the problem persists or goes away.

Also you should search the forums, see
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,45957.msg224610.html#msg224610

In the last thread you linked, there is conntection but it is very slow. my connection is at full power, but than it is lost. and when the connection is back is is there with full speeds (50+ at lest)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:53:32 AM by CtdeBlesse »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
CtdeBlesse

I changed everything bye now... (cables/switch/router)

I assume you are still having the problem, if so that even more strongly suggests the on board NIC (chipset) is the problem.

In the last thread you linked, there is connection but it is very slow. my connection is at full power, but than it is lost. and when the connection is back is is there with full speeds (50+ at lest)

Whether Fast, slow or stopping, there seems to be a problem with that NIC, so try replacing it.

By the way the thread did say "or stopped completely", quoting it:
"Transfer to and from the server from other workstations were still poor. They started in the region of 40 Mbytes/s but degraded very quickly (in just 2 - 4 seconds) to a few hundred Kbytes/s or stopped completely."

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 10:30:53 AM »
I am guessing a bit here, but problem is so similiar to an issue I had and isolated to the Realtek Gigabit Network card which is the same as what is on these these motherboards, I think it could be same problem. If it does have a PCI slot, try disabling the Gigabit NIC in bios and using something very conventional by way of a network card and see if you problems resolvves.

HTH
Peter

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »
...my connection is at full power, but than it is lost. and when the connection is back is is there with full speeds (50+ at lest)

Are you connected to your SME using cables, or using a wireless connection?

Offline CtdeBlesse

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »
Are you connected to your SME using cables, or using a wireless connection?

Sorry for the late answer, but i am connected to my server through cable (cat6, with a simple gbit switch).

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »
CtdeBlesse

i am connected to my server through cable (cat6.....

So, have you changed the NIC to a compatible one, and disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS ?

Offline CtdeBlesse

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »
CtdeBlesse

So, have you changed the NIC to a compatible one, and disabled the onboard NIC in the BIOS ?

After a couple of months i did that, i didn't have any space in my previous case.

Changed it with a basic Intel 1000 mbit NIC, and it looks stable for a couple of weeks now.