Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Hylafax install won't recognize modem when probed (SME server 7.5.1)

Offline confiarus

• +0/-0
Just installed hylafax from contribs and the install when through ok, however, when running the "faxaddmodem", "faxaddmodem" can't communicate with my modem.  The modem is a USR 5686-05R external modem.  (Also tried the "-s" option and set static speed manually)

To troubleshoot and verify the modem is operating properly for SME7,  I installed "minicom" and am able to initialize the modem and dial out to a working phone number sucessfully.  The external modem is connected to COM1 which is /dev/ttyS0.

Not sure how to troubleshoot further.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
So your problem is not in your SME server.
Maybe it's a Hylafax bug... but is not an SME bug. Maybe try at Hylafax forums.

Offline confiarus

• +0/-0
Thanks for reply.  I found the answer.   So, for other people who might run into the same problem here's the answer.  Use the dip switch config on the USR 5686 modem as follows:  1,4,6,8 up and 2,4,5,7 down.   After setting the switches in this config instead of the default I found in the manual for this modem, the "faxaddmodem" was able to probe the modem sucessfully.

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
please verify your answer:"there are no 3 and there are two 4s!!
Thanks for reply.  I found the answer.   So, for other people who might run into the same problem here's the answer.  Use the dip switch config on the USR 5686 modem as follows:  1,4,6,8 up and 2,4,5,7 down.   After setting the switches in this config instead of the default I found in the manual for this modem, the "faxaddmodem" was able to probe the modem sucessfully.

Offline confiarus

• +0/-0
Re: Hylafax install won't recognize modem when probed (SME server 7.5.1)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply, here's the correct dip switch settings:     Use the dip switch config on the USR 5686 modem as follows:  1,4,6,8 down and 2,3,5,7 up