Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Email configuration

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Email configuration
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »
Stefano, lascia il sarcasmo a casa per favore!  If I could decipher that error message I would have done that.  Is there a problem with this forum that people have a bad attitude when answering questions?  If someone has nothing helpful to say, rather say nothing at all.  I have been following these forums and it seems to be a recurrent issue.

bosco555, the sarcasm was not for you, but for M$ c**p that is useless to debug the issue..
anyway, I apologize..

These pages are supposed to be a help line for those in trouble, not a lecture in reading and searching manuals and posts.

sure..

Now...I have tried other email clients, and the problem persists.  The server is a pop server with pop3s for external access.  I have also deleted and re-created the outlook profile/s.  It is not an outlook problem as all the clients on the network behave in the same manner.

If there is a solution to this I'd like to know, if not just say so and I will migrate to another distro,plain and simple.  Sorry, but I have had enough of smart comments in this forum.

well.. a little bit nervous?

pop3s.. port 995 tcp

you say that ALL the client have the same problem.. is there anything behind between your clients and SME? can you ping SME? can you telnet SME on 995 tcp?

are we talking about local or remote connections?

since you are out there and we are not near to you, you should post here all the info.. i.e. your setup, logs, what you did and how you did it.

we are here to help you.. please help us to help you
thank you
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:31:06 PM by Stefano »

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
I think you might find there are "other" M$ issues sending the test message from outlook and even when the email is configured correctly and working fine, that message will appear. That has been my experience.

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »
When I am trying connect to my email account in Outlook I obtain:

Send test e-mail message                    Failed

Send test e-mail message: An unknown error occurred, error code: 0x800c8101

I already tested ports: 995 and 25 are opened.

your problem is to send e-mail, that is done using port 465 , so please verify that port is open and Outlook is configurated to use port 465 and SSL/TLS.
The other port to send e-mail is 587 ... never remember what exactly is the difference between them! Sorry.

Offline jameswilson

• +0/-0
    • Security Warehouse, trade security equipment
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »
Bosco
I didnt read the reply as 'smart'

I cant tell if you have a problem getting mail to the server or from the server to the web. Im assuming its getting into the server is the issue.

I would try using thunderbird as outlook does not play nice and makes it harder to fault find.

Offline jameswilson

• +0/-0
    • Security Warehouse, trade security equipment
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »
Send test e-mail message                    Failed

What are your settings for the smtp server in the client. ie are you using auth

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
When I am trying connect to my email account in Outlook I obtain:

Unfortunately, this is what you should expect to see. Outlook has a bug in its "test email" function. It sends a test message with an illegal format - it has no "Date" header. This is documented in the wiki:

http://wiki.contribs.org/Email#Outlook_test_message_doesn.27t_come_through

SME server does not accept those illegal messages, as such messages are usually spam. Legitimate mail clients do not generate such messages.

If you have other/different problems with sending or receiving email, please post a bug report in the bug tracker.

Offline bosco555

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 01:35:36 AM »
Hi All and thanks for the replies, Stefano, it's all good don't worry paesa'...!!

OK, port 110, 465, 995, 25, are all open on the router and re-directed to the SME server.  I will check about port 587..I should have mentioned that the test message was sent from the outside world and not from within outlook.

I had tried all day yesterday to get this going with the client on my back, so I had to take a breather and will revisit this morning...will try another email client as well..
thanks again to all and will keep you posted...

bosco

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:27 AM »
bosco555

OK, port 110, 465, 995, 25, are all open on the router and re-directed to the SME server.

The router may configured but that does not mean external access is OK.
You need to run a port scan initiated from a workstation behind the sme server that is acting as mail server, open a web browser on the workstation and go to grc.com

Can you access webmail from the external location and (using webmail) send and receive emails to and from external & internal email addresses. That test should illuminate matters ie which works and which does not etc. Make careful notes for each test and record each error message.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:32:57 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
(...)
I had tried all day yesterday to get this going with the client on my back, so I had to take a breather and will revisit this morning...will try another email client as well..
thanks again to all and will keep you posted...

Bosco

If you're in a hurry and desperate for help, call me on skype (jader.marasca) or MSN (jader31@terra.com.br) and I'll help you. If I'm online... I'll help  you... just to be sure to include from where are you ( SME contribs forums) on your invite... or I'll reject it!

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:33 AM »
Bosco.. did you solve the issue?

Offline lukaszk

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
I've got SME Server 8.0.

Only one problem that I cant solve is that I cant send and receive emails to/from extrenal email adress.
Sending email between my SME Server users via webmail is working wery well.

In server-manager it is set as follow:
POP3 server access    Allow private and public (secure POP3S)
IMAP server access    Allow private and public (secure IMAPS)
Webmail access    Allow HTTPS (secure)

Thanks for any sugestions what I can do to solve my problem.
Is it can be a problem with MX record of my domain?

Thank you all for responds,

For now I resolved receiving mails form extrenal. The problem was in the setting of MX record in my domain. So receiving mails working very well on my SME server.
Also I solved problem with "data header" - described here: http://wiki.contribs.org/Email - thanks to that I can connect to my mail server via Outlook (Outlook can send testing massage - it works very good).

I have still problem with extrenal sending emails. My emails sends form my server to extrenal servers do not going out.
In var/log/qmail log I found: sorry i wasn't able to establish an smtp connection. (#4.4.1).
I set up port forwarding for 25 and 465 - but it did not solve my problem.
Do you have any idea where I can try to find some solution?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 03:49:35 PM »
In var/log/qmail log I found: sorry i wasn't able to establish an smtp connection. (#4.4.1).
I set up port forwarding for 25 and 465 - but it did not solve my problem.

Port forwarding has nothing to do with outbound connections, so it's not surprising it didn't fix your outbound SMTP problem.

Your ISP is probably filtering port 25 outbound traffic. You will need to configure your system to relay via the ISP's mail server.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
lukaszk

Your ISP is probably filtering port 25 outbound traffic. You will need to configure your system to relay via the ISP's mail server.

...and you will find that setting in the server manager Email panel, ie the smtp server of your ISP

Offline lukaszk

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 05:31:02 PM »

To be sure, if I understood well.
I've got internet conection by modem and router. Next to router is conected my SME server.
It's look like this (bold - it's my network--> I have access to modem, router, SME server):

INTERNET------MODEM----ROUTER-----SME Server (server mode only)

If you said:  "ISP is probably filtering port 25 outbound traffic" that mean:
1. that MODEM+ROUTER filtering port 25 outband trafic (solution is in the router configuration), or
2. INTERNET filtering port 25 outband trafic (solution is out of my office), or
3. other option??

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
lukaszk

If you said:  "ISP is probably filtering port 25 outbound traffic" that mean:
1. that MODEM+ROUTER filtering port 25 outband trafic (solution is in the router configuration), or
2. INTERNET filtering port 25 outband trafic (solution is out of my office), or

It could be both depending how your router is configured, but Charlie was referring to your ISP filtering the service it provides you ie to stop servers using port 25 directly.
As said it refers to your ISP, so ask your ISP if they block port 25.

You can try adding the ISP's smtp server into the Email panel in server manager eg smtp.yourisp.com, or similar, ask them. This causes sme server to send mail via the ISP's mail server, rather than directly to other mail servers via port 25.
I suggest you try this to see if it resolves your sending problem.