Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

running out of disk space

Offline katumba

• +0/-0
running out of disk space
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »
Can someone point me to where I should start looking for what is taking up disk space?  250 gig drive. only 35 gigs free. I installed the disk usage contrib and all the users combined are only using 20 gigs. I tried flushing out squid and that didn't free up anything.  Where can I look? Thank you!

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Re: running out of disk space
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »
The slow way:
Code: [Select]
df -h --max-depth=1 /

Or you can change depth to 2
This will summarize the space on each dir and show you... go as deeper as needed.
It's slow... REALLY slow... but works... and just depends on you ;)

Offline katumba

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:59 PM »
Thank you for that.  This is what I get:

df: unrecognized option `--max-depth=1'

Offline katumba

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »
ah, it was the du command. got it.

So, I have 150gigs being used by /media.  In that folder are cdrom, floppy, and USB_BACKUP, usbdisk, usbdisk1 and usbdisk2.  I'm assuming that is the culprit.  ok to delete all that?

also have 15gigs being used in /mnt.  Which contains: bootstrap-console-backup  dar2  floppy  smb

Offline markleman

• +0/-0
    • http://www.leman.net
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:12:59 AM »
/media is where Linux mounts removable devices like CDs and DVDs. Have you got a disk in the optical drive or a USB hard disk connected? 150G could easily be a CD-rom or external USB disk. I would not recommend deleting anything in /media.

Like wise /mnt is where other file systems get mounted, typically network shares, in your case possibly a windows share as you have /mnt/smb. Again I would not recommend deleting these.

keep looking..... and good luck :-)

Online Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:43:47 AM »
ah, it was the du command. got it.

So, I have 150gigs being used by /media.  In that folder are cdrom, floppy, and USB_BACKUP, usbdisk, usbdisk1 and usbdisk2.  I'm assuming that is the culprit.  ok to delete all that?

also have 15gigs being used in /mnt.  Which contains: bootstrap-console-backup  dar2  floppy  smb

did you solve your issue?