Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Postgresql

Offline BlueLake

• +0/-0
Postgresql
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
Has anyone installed Postgresql 8-9 on sme 8, tried the howto - and postgres installs somewhere !!! but not in
/etc/init.d/ Tried a few other howtos on the web (an almost idiots guide to install postgresql.9.0 with yum) http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/203-postgresql90-yum.html but that didnt work either. Any ideas anyone.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Postgresql
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
did you search the forums before posting?

http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,47374.0.html

if you have any issue, you should report the error message: saying "it doesn't work" doesn't help us to help you

Offline BlueLake

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
Hi Stefano
Yes i did search the forums along with lots of google-ing, and i did read the entry in the forum before you pointed me towards it on your post and understood it to be an 9.0 upgrade only for postgresql. Where i wanted a new install for 9.0 onto sme 8 not an upgrade.
On reading further though it seems this may well be an install, which i will now endevour to undertake hoping it does a new install.

and thank you for the reply.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
once you have setup the repo
Code: [Select]
yum --enablerepo=pgdg9 install postgresql90 postgresql90-devel postgresql90-server postgresql90-libs

the -devel rpm is not necessary and you might want to add other rpms to the install list

Offline BlueLake

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
Ah thanks
Keeping my fingers crossed - this is a complicated install (for me anyway).

Offline BlueLake

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »
Hi Stefano
Installed - deleted reinstalled and reinstalled again always the same message 'cannot find valid baseurl for pgdg9'

so i yum erased postgres 9 and installed as per the howto for ver 8 this went well up to the point of setting the server keys - after this posgres wouldn't start again, so i removed it all and tried again but still no joy. So I went back to ver 9 and followed the instructions again but still the same error no base url for pgdg9...confused.

any ideas apart from a fresh install of sme 8 - I have installed postgres a number of times on 7 -7.5 without any problems

Cheers Bluelake

Offline vpurger

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »
Pgsqlrpms.org domain is currently unavailable, use yum.postgresql.org or yum.pgrpms.org.

Offline BlueLake

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:13 AM »
Hi Stefano

Thanks I will try that...because of the issues i had yesterday i googled the errors to see if others had experienced the same problem, and it seems that it could be a DNS issue. This i didnt think was correct. This is a server only sme 8 box for testing purposes inside a sme 7.5 server and gatway network.  Our domain is glaslyn.com on the server and gate and i had used glaslyn.local on the test server (glaslyn is welsh for blue lake by the way). This morning trying to log onto the main server I had an issue with password recognision from a client machine. This does look like a DNS thing.

So i have re-installed the server only software, mainly because using - yum erase postgres* - I think may well have removed other stuff also. I have also changed the domain to something else, by way of a test, and this morning will endevour to install Postgres yet again.

Thanks Bluelake

Offline BlueLake

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
Hi Stefano

postgres update

Completely reinstalled sme 8 as server only config onto network behind sme 7.5 server/gateway
tried to insall posgresql 9.0 as per posts etc to no avail...the only postgresql I could install was ver 8.1 as...
yum --enablerepo=centosplus install postgresql postgresql-server postgresql-contrib postgresql-libs etc

everything works fine with the exception of cp /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt . (etc)
this did not get installed - searched with find / name 'ssl.crt' and not found.

So in short the only version I have managed to install on -sme 8 server only- is Postgresql 8.1 without SSL which I find strange because I can install Postgresql 9.1 onto a Linux-mint client and a windows vista client - Ubuntu 12.4 server etc...

postgresql 8.4 / 9.1 all returned the same error at yum localinstall

cheers Bluelake