Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Clarification of wiki (re: USB disks)

Offline nekatreven

• +0/-0
Clarification of wiki (re: USB disks)
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:02:43 AM »
I don't understand the point of the separate 'USB on SME8' section here:

http://wiki.contribs.org/USBDisks#USB_on_SME_8

Specifically, I don't know what "things" changed and if there is some reason I shouldn't just use fdisk -lu to find the name of the device. I'm pretty sure that will even print partition tables for drives that are using GPT, and just warn you not to edit such a disk's layout with fdisk. Even the upgrade instructions suggest something is drastically different... http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server_8#USB_drives.

At first I assumed must be missing some info so I just tried doing it 'differently'... I used a mount point like "LABEL=" instead of "/dev/sdxy" and fsck.ext3 started hanging the boot process with 'cannot resolve LABEL=whatever'. So...yayyy for driving 30 minutes to fix different.  :-P

TIA for any insight,
Mark

Edit: Also blkid and tune2fs have no problem reading the label, and I was able to mount via label once the system was booted.

Edit2: I'm only asking for a clarification of the wiki and do not see the need to report a bug on the mounting from LABEL issue... I suspect that if two different people hadn't stopped responding to this bug (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=440155) that it would have already been fixed.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:20:29 AM by nekatreven »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Clarification of wiki (re: USB disks)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:05:24 AM »
nekatreven

As it says:

Things change on SME 8
    It's difficult to work out what your device name is ie /dev/sda1
    The mount point isn't automatically added in /etc/fstab

Also the mount command is different eg
mount /dev/sda1 /media/120Gbfat32  (ie. mount /media/120Gbfat32 no longer works)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:08:35 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline nekatreven

• +0/-0
Re: Clarification of wiki (re: USB disks)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »
nekatreven

As it says:

Things change on SME 8
    The mount point isn't automatically added in /etc/fstab

Also the mount command is different eg
mount /dev/sda1 /media/120Gbfat32  (ie. mount /media/120Gbfat32 no longer works)

Mary,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and yes that is the section I was curious about.

This part:
Things change on SME 8

...(to me at least) suggests that it is harder to find device names in SME8 than in 7.x. I did not come across any differences in how devices are detected after I upgraded. However perhaps the goal in suggesting the use of hal instead of something like 'fdisk -lu' was not SME8 specific, but simply that the hal method looks so much nicer if you have a lot of disks.

I believe the other places where I was confused was because I'm using my USB disk for backup and that section was just about mounting one temporarily. I did have to manually put the mount point into /etc/fstab but besides that everything was the same (and you can then still mount without including the device name).

Thank you,
Mark