Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

WordPress Multisite 3.x in /opt

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
  • A good plumber, noob developer
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
WordPress Multisite 3.x in /opt
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
I started WordPress MultiSite originally in /opt/ during my test. After the test, it proved to be a GREAT CMS, so I have made many websites that are now in production. Now I have the need to make sites for different domains, including my domain.

Is there any way to point apache to the /opt/wordpress directory as the main site? Right now it is accessible by http://domain.tld/wordpress  I need it accessible by http://domain.tld

I do have a full site in an iBay, will I be able to access those by aliases if I point apache to my WordPress directory, or would I have to migrate those to /opt/wordpress/? If I do, it's fine, just would like to know.

Moving Multisite install to an iBay is a bit of a challenge. As I think future goals, I don't believe I'll be doing sites in anything but WordPress; however, I must ask if the solution is reversible (Just in case I hard code another site).

For new domains, would I just Proxy Pass to the WordPress install? How would that work since it is in /opt/wordpress? Using .htaccess?

Thanks.
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC
I Still Don't KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. Please, don't assume I know anything about Linux or Centos, I just know hardware

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: WordPress Multisite 3.x in /opt
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
yes.. you need custom fragments for httpd.conf

I'm quite sure you'll find some examples here in the forums

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
It's best for me to move multi site to my web ibay. In order to change from /wordpress to domain.com I would still have to go through the procedure to migrate a multi site install. The issue is all the references in mysql still reference /wordpress
Thanks anyway.
Now I need to find what query strings need to be used on the database to change those reference links.

One I install in an ibay, I am under the impression that all new domains would be added with proxy pass to the wordpress install in the ibay?
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC
I Still Don't KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. Please, don't assume I know anything about Linux or Centos, I just know hardware

Offline johnp

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:30:01 PM »
You may want to look at what fws smeserver-webapps-common might be able to do.

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:15:22 AM »
There is a contrib for that:
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Site_Maker
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »
newburns

Look at the web redirect howto for aliasing a main domain to /opt/xxxx , it is deprecated but look in the Talk or Discussion pages for a new method.

With web apps in ibays, whem moving them, it is usual that the config.php file for the app contains information about the mysql db name and password details, rather than the other way around. If you move an app from opt to an ibay then usually you edit the config.php file with the apps new location path on the server and the www root. I don't usually need to change the mysql db details as the app will still find those in the standard mysql location. If you rename the mysql db's then you will need to amend those details in the apps config.php file. You would also need to re-enter passwords for users to allow access to the new mysql db's (in mysql).
Also you would need to change (remove) any templates installed by the apps rpm package that setup aliases to /opt and so on.

You do not use proxy pass to redirect content to an ibay.
Add the domain and specify the ibay for that domain names content, it's so simple.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:53:39 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline johnp

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 02:28:01 AM »
If I remember correctly, the fws contrib makes it easy. I did only look at it for a brief time in early beta testing, so I could be mistaken.

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »
UPDATE:
My initial problem was I installed WordPress 3.x into /opt/ using SME Site Maker. I thought it would be more secure since it was installed in /opt (This is not really true, I think)
Thereafter, I activated MultiSite Network through my Wordpress install, and made several production sites using one MySQL Database.
This prevented me from being able to utilize the Domain Mapping Plugin, and multiple Cache Plugins.
I could redirect all http traffic to /opt/"wordpress" but all the pages created in the iBay that are not associated with WordPress would need to be redirected or proxypassed or whatever. It would be too difficult.

In order to move Wordpress 3.x Multi Site, I had to change the Domain URL and path in the config.php like mary said.
Additionally, I had to dump the SQL database, and do a search for ["domain.tld/wordpress" ; "/wordpress/" ; "domain.tld"] (where wordpress is whatever your alias and /opt/* file is named. The paths and urls are stored in the databse and must be changed.
Afterwards, I reloaded the SQL in a new database and change my config.php to be the new table (I never like to overwrite previously functional data. It's easier to delete after new data is functional).
Not sure about webapps contrib being operational for SME 8 x64, but I can say that SME Site Maker works superbly!

Final question, how would I do 301 redirects? Is it in .htaccess? I just want to make sure all my old URLs redirect to the new URL for the new wordpress location
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:16:23 AM »
Thanks for nothing on the redirects. Just for others to note:
Find a nice management plugin to handle redirects and 404 monitoring. Works wonders for me.

Now I am having an issue with YSlow plugin and my page. I have low scores because of compression. SME does have gzip compression available to apache right?

http://mtrosemedia.tk
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC

Offline newburns

• +0/-0
    • Mt. Rose MEdia
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 04:26:30 AM »
I didn't mean the thanks for nothing, I was just upset and frustrated.
I have a new situation that I can't seem to find the answer to.
I have wordpress managing all my websites at the moment. I want to add another domain to wordpress. I have the wordpress domain mapping plugin, and I see Calisun has listed instructions on new domains, however, the instruction's solution for additional domains does not allow you to create email addresses and such, like a new domain through server manager would. How can I do this?
SME 8.0
Quad 6600
8gb DDR2 800
8 TB RAID 5
Dual Gigabit NIC

Offline calisun

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »
I was not clear in my instructions. I have updated the last part of instructions:
" To run several Domains on one wordpress install: "
SME user and community member since 2005.
Want to install Wordpress in iBay of SME Server?
See my step-by-step How-To wiki here:
http://wiki.contribs.org/Wordpress_Multisite