Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

blank screen at SMTP with attachments

Offline detlevp

• +0/-0
blank screen at SMTP with attachments
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:25:21 PM »
Hello,
I have a problem when sending mails (SMTP). Refers only to the case when large attachments are sent. It is irrelevant whether I send from SOGo or eGroupware

The following parameters are available:
PHP Version 5.3.3

max_execution_time 120 90
max_file_uploads 20 20
max_input_nesting_level 64 64
max_input_time -1 -1
max_input_vars 1000 1000
memory_limit 128M 128M
open_basedir /usr/share/egroupware:/var/lib/egroupware:/tmp:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/jpgraph:/tmp:/dev no value
output_buffering no value no value
output_handler no value no value
post_max_size 250M 250M
precision 14 14
realpath_cache_size 16K 16K
realpath_cache_ttl 120 120
register_argc_argv On On
register_globals Off Off
register_long_arrays On On
report_memleaks On On
report_zend_debug On On
request_order no value no value
safe_mode Off Off
safe_mode_exec_dir no value no value
safe_mode_gid Off Off
safe_mode_include_dir no value no value
sendmail_from me@localhost.com me@localhost.com
sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
serialize_precision 100 100
short_open_tag On On
SMTP localhost localhost
smtp_port 25 25
sql.safe_mode Off Off
track_errors Off Off
unserialize_callback_func no value no value
upload_max_filesize 250M 250M
upload_tmp_dir no value no value
user_dir no value no value
user_ini.cache_ttl 300 300
user_ini.filename .user.ini .user.ini
variables_order EGPCS EGPCS

Here are the Log-Entrys:

Oct 14 16:21:27 domsrv01 httpd: PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 133842964 bytes) in /usr/share/egroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.smtp.php on line 371
Oct 14 16:31:03 domsrv01 httpd: PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 65810325 bytes) in /usr/share/egroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.phpmailer.inc.php on line 1540
Oct 14 16:44:48 domsrv01 /sbin/e-smith/db[27191]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: OLD php=service|AllowUrlFopen|Off|MemoryLimit|64M|PostMaxSize|250M|UploadMaxFilesize|250M|status|enabled
Oct 14 16:44:48 domsrv01 /sbin/e-smith/db[27191]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW php=service|AllowUrlFopen|Off|MaxExecutionTime|90|MemoryLimit|64M|PostMaxSize|250M|UploadMaxFilesize|250M|status|enabled
Oct 14 16:45:25 domsrv01 /sbin/e-smith/db[27348]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: OLD php=service|AllowUrlFopen|Off|MaxExecutionTime|90|MemoryLimit|64M|PostMaxSize|250M|UploadMaxFilesize|250M|status|enabled
Oct 14 16:45:25 domsrv01 /sbin/e-smith/db[27348]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW php=service|AllowUrlFopen|Off|MaxExecutionTime|90|MemoryLimit|128M|PostMaxSize|250M|UploadMaxFilesize|250M|status|enabled
Oct 14 16:46:00 domsrv01 /sbin/e-smith/db[27383]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: OLD php=service|AllowUrlFopen|Off|MaxExecutionTime|90|MemoryLimit|128M|PostMaxSize|250M|UploadMaxFilesize|250M|status|enabled
Oct 14 16:46:00 domsrv01 /sbin/e-smith/db[27383]: /home/e-smith/db/configuration: NEW php=service|AllowUrlFopen|Off|MaxExecutionTime|90|MemoryLimit|128M|PostMaxSize|250M|UploadMaxFilesize|250M|UploadMaxSize|250M|status|enabled
Oct 14 16:49:04 domsrv01 httpd: PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 65810325 bytes) in /usr/share/egroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.phpmailer.inc.php on line 1540

Does anyone have an idea for me? Thank you very much
Greeting Detlev

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: blank screen at SMTP with attachments
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
I have a problem when sending mails (SMTP). Refers only to the case when large attachments are sent. It is irrelevant whether I send from SOGo or eGroupware

Since neither of those is included in the SME server installation CDROM, your post is off-topic for this forum.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »
Hello,

The following parameters are available:
PHP Version 5.3.3

Code: [Select]
memory_limit 128M 128M

Code: [Select]
Oct 14 16:21:27 domsrv01 httpd: PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 536870912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 133842964 bytes) in /usr/share/egroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.smtp.php on line 371
Oct 14 16:31:03 domsrv01 httpd: PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 65810325 bytes) in /usr/share/egroupware/phpgwapi/inc/class.phpmailer.inc.php on line 1540

Does anyone have an idea for me? Thank you very much

You already have the answer, see the lines above..

anyway:
- sending large attachments is E V I L: if you need to share big files, don't use email
- I'm quite sure the solution is available here in the forums and in the wiki/FAQ, so please use the search link above, thank you

Offline detlevp

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »
Since neither of those is included in the SME server installation CDROM, your post is off-topic for this forum.

Thanks for your help. The problem lies in the SME Server, not the clients.  :-(

Offline detlevp

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »
Hallo Stefano,

anyway:
- sending large attachments is E V I L: if you need to share big files, don't use email
- I'm quite sure the solution is available here in the forums and in the wiki/FAQ, so please use the search link above, thank you

Anyone who has grown up in the ARPA network knows how to deal economically with resources. I think it's not good, if email is used for file transfer ..but, why do we need a rearview camera in a car when you can turn your head? We have 2012 not 1977, people will be more comfortable and the broadband service is growing rapidly. I can not stop the time and will not transform even people. I mean this is not personal and know what you want to say...

You already have the answer, see the lines above..
Yes, I've seen these lines. Before I have written here, I've read several threads here and googled. Have tested with different parameters, but nothing has changed. In addition, the e-mail attachment is 10.5 MB in size. Strange that the error occurs at something around 12 MB.

What is the ratio must be the memory limit with post_max_size? Has there ever anything to do with it? Has anyone any idea?

Thanks and greeting
Detlev

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »
Thanks for your help. The problem lies in the SME Server, not the clients.  :-(

No, the problem lies with eGroupware or SoGo, neither of which is SME server software. Or perhaps the problem is with your expectation, that you can safely send humungous attachments via email.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »
In addition, the e-mail attachment is 10.5 MB in size. Strange that the error occurs at something around 12 MB.

That's not strange at all. Binary files always grow when they become email attachments, as they are encoded in base64 ascii and then encapsulated with MIME and SMTP headers.

Offline detlevp

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:56:06 PM »
Hello Charlie,

That's not strange at all. Binary files always grow when they become email attachments, as they are encoded in base64 ascii and then encapsulated with MIME and SMTP headers.
Yes, this is familiar to me. It is due to my poor English that my texts are partially taken out of context. Sorry.

Offline detlevp

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 02:16:18 AM »
Hello again,

I'm very grateful for the SOGo-Implementation and -guidance for SME-Server.

I still, however, a communication problem.  I send a mail with a file attachment with the size of 8271 KB on SOGo.  Unfortunately, I get the message "Warning can not send message: (smtp) failure when sending data." The file is 11.1 MB in size when sending. In SOGo log I find the following information:

================================================================
C: connect to <0x0x8dd9418[NGInternetSocketAddress]: host=localhost not-filled>
S: <SMTP-Reply: code=220 line='domsrv01.domain.com ESMTP'>
C: EHLO localhost
S: <SMTP-Reply: code=250 line='STARTTLS'>
S: pipelining extension supported.
S: size extension supported.
C: MAIL FROM:<admin@domain.com>
C: RCPT TO:<user@arcor.de>
C: DATA
S: <SMTP-Reply: code=354 line='go ahead'>
C: data(135430288 bytes) ..
2012-10-16 01:22:40.785 sogod[4307] WARNING(-[NGBufferedStream writeBytes:count:]): got passed in length 129MB (135430288 bytes, errcode=2147$
S: <SMTP-Reply: code=552 line='Message too big!'>
2012-10-16 01:22:48.932 sogod[4307] SMTP(DATA): mail input failed, got code 552 ..
C: QUIT
S: <SMTP-Reply: code=221 line='teske-schwiede.de closing connection. Have a wonderful day.'>
================================================================
I do not understand why in the log file, the mail is given as 129 MB, though the file is only 11.1 MB in size. Says the NGBufferedStream that here regardless of the size of the mail is sent in an entire block size memory_limit? Can anyone help me here. I have try it with Outlook (not my favorite), same result.

Greeting
Detlev
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:24:31 AM by detlevp »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 05:12:17 AM »
detlevp

Is that related to the setting in php ie
memory_limit 128M 128M

You were told earlier in this thread by Stefano to look at the wiki etc for the answer, did you ?
"I'm quite sure the solution is available here in the forums and in the wiki/FAQ, so please use the search link above, thank you"

Have you specified more appropriate values in sme server for large files (uploads) & emails (attachment size), see the following for likely possibilities
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:FAQ#Set_max_email_size
and
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:FAQ#Large_attachments_not_displaying_in_webmail
and
http://wiki.contribs.org/DB_Variables_Configuration#Database_variables
and
http://wiki.contribs.org/DB_Variables_Configuration#Php
and
http://wiki.contribs.org/DB_Variables_Configuration#Clam_AntiVirus_.28clamav.29
and
http://wiki.contribs.org/Useful_Commands#PHP_Related_Commands

If the above is not enough info, then search the Forums for specific examples, eg search on webmail attachment size limit
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline detlevp

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
Hello Mary,

thanks for your help.

You were told earlier in this thread by Stefano to look at the wiki etc for the answer, did you ?
Yes, i do it. Also, your entire links I studied before I had written here. Before I ask my questions here, I am always search the forums and try Google with my questions. I'm glad that I'll get so dedicated and professional tips.

I think I've narrowed a little bit my problem now. If I have send an email with individual PDFs, all of which are 45 MB in size, the mail is sent without any problems.If I take a document in the size of 7.5 MB and pack it in a zip file, the mail is not sent to the known error code. Even large JPG files can easily send. Obviously the problem is not (i think) in the mail settings of the file sizes. I already changed the settings of ClamAV, but without result.

So what happens if the mail client sends a zip file? Have an idea?
Greeting Detlev

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »
So what happens if the mail client sends a zip file? Have an idea?
Greeting Detlev

subscribe SOGo ML, and ask there.. and, just in case, file a bug on their BTS

thank you

Offline detlevp

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
Hello Stefano,

Hello Stefano,

subscribe SOGo ML, and ask there.. and, just in case, file a bug on their BTS

thank you

Are you sure that it is a problem of SOGo? Outlook behaves on the same mailbox completely identical. eGroupware is equal to nothing.

Another question. Can you give me a tip on how I include SOGo in Dovecot so that I can work with the Shared Folder?

Thanks and regards
Detlev

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 07:45:57 PM »
detlevp

...in a zip file, the mail is not sent to the known error code.

What is the error message ?

I already changed the settings of ClamAV, but without result.

Exactly what clamav setting did you change, and to what value ?

Do you have Executable content filtering/blocking enabled ?
That will block the sending or receiving of email attachment zip files.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:01:17 PM »
Are you sure that it is a problem of SOGo? Outlook behaves on the same mailbox completely identical. eGroupware is equal to nothing.

in this case, please, report the smtp log (qmail's one)..
your best chance is to file a bug in bugzilla and report here all the info, thank you

Another question. Can you give me a tip on how I include SOGo in Dovecot so that I can work with the Shared Folder?

your question make no sense to me..
you have already opened a topic about SOGo and you've already had more than an aswer.. follow the howto, you don't need anything else