Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How to monitor the traffic on my SME server/Gateway

Offline dbaddour

• +0/-0
How to monitor the traffic on my SME server/Gateway
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »
Hi all,

Just wondering what you suggest to use in order for me to monitor the traffic coming in and out on my SME server-Gateway. Many product out their, looking for expertise in that field please.. for better option if any GUI monitor interface available.. Also what I am looking to achieve if it is possible with SME to block sites or access to sites "like, Torrents, web sites like FaceBook in work place and so on"

If someone have a suggestion and idea on how to achieve this please help me out

Thank you

Dave

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: How to monitor the traffic on my SME server/Gateway
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:12:33 AM »
dbaddour

iptraf
dansguardian
p2p blocking
sarg
and others

If you set these up correctly (meaning appropriately) you can block most/all stuff.
Please read the Howtos & Contribs wiki articles for other possibilities & for more info on these.
There have been many good tips on their usage published in the forums over the years, so search the forums on each contrib name as well, for specific setup "tricks & configuration" etc.

You can also add ANY domain name to your server (that is acting as the gateway), eg facebook.com or ebay.com & so on, in the server manager Domains panel, configure the domain to Resolve locally rather than Internet DNS servers, and then point that domain at your own website residing on sme server eg in an ibay or the Primary ibay.
That way any requests for that site are redirected to your locally hosted website, thus blocking access.
This is useful for blocking https:// requests that smart users try to use to get around other forms of blocking (that only block http:// requests).
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.