Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How Do I Configure ddclient with DynDNS.com

Offline rcblackwell

• +0/-0
How Do I Configure ddclient with DynDNS.com
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:56:46 PM »
My system is configured in server only mode. It sit's behind my router and hosts two websites. I have a dynamic IP address which is updated through a client installed on a NAS. I'll soon be removing the NAS from service and wish to use SMEServer to perform the DynDNS update. Since SMEServer is configured in Server only mode the built in DDNS option is not available to me. I downloaded and installed ddclient hoping it could perform the task however there's no option for DynDNS.COM. I tried setting the Service to DynDNS.ORG however, as I thought, that option doesn't work.

I thought a custom template would resolve the issue however I've been searching all day for information one that I understand and could apply. Alas, I've not found one. I'm not Linux literate thus have a hard time understanding what needs to be done and how to add a custom template. I'd appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction through either an appropriate web link or, better yet, a list of steps that I need to take in order to complete the task.

With appreciation

Robert

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: How Do I Configure ddclient with DynDNS.com
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:05:43 AM »
rcblackwell

Your issue does not make sense to me.
Typically In server only mode behind a router, there is another gateway device (usually the router/modem/firewall) & this gateway will be handling the updating of your external dynamic IP address via the pppoe login client.
It will also handle (when supported by & configured in the gateway device), the updating of any external dynamic DNS service to keep the IP details updated for each domain in the external DNS records eg at dyndns.com or dyndns.org or other supported providers.

In the above situation the gateway would be port forwarding or proxy passing to your sme server.

For what you are describing, you would really need to change your network arrangement and put sme server into gateway & server mode with a bridged modem in front of it directly connected to the Internet. Most modem/routers can be reconfigured for bridged mode, which is the most common way of being used with sme server when in gatewsy & server mode.

The ddclient contrib works OK with sme server in gateway server mode, as I do use it.
For dyndns.com you select one of the dyndns.org options, dynamic or custom.

Please explain your requirements more clearly.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:26:04 AM by mary »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »
Most good modem/routers have the ability to update a Dynamic DNS service.

I use Billions and it is definetly in their configs, also have used TP-Link and D-Link models that have it, don't know if it is across their range though..

Have a look here: Whirlpool Modem Specs 
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline rcblackwell

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
Typically ...... there is another gateway device (usually the router/modem/firewall) & this gateway will .... handle (when supported by & configured in the gateway device), the updating of any external dynamic DNS service.......

I agree, however the DSL modem/router (2Wire) which my ISP provided is locked down so tight that the only option available to me is port forwarding. If it weren't so tightly locked down bridge mode, which is an option with 2Wires standard firmware, would be available and things could be configured as you say.

For dyndns.com you select one of the dyndns.org options, dynamic or custom.

I tried the dyndns.org settings without success. ddclient tries logging into *.org. I need it to log into *.com.

Thanks
Robert
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:39:19 PM by rcblackwell »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 01:36:30 PM »
rcblackwell

AFAIK ddclient will work OK on sme in server only mode.

Why does ddclient not seem to work for you ?
Please give more details of errors etc.
What package & version are you using ?
smeserver-ddclient
or
sme7-ddclient

I'm not sure if the smeserver-ddclient functions OK on sme8 (I think it may not), but the sme7-ddclient does (I have it working), see
http://wiki.contribs.org/Ddclient
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:03:58 PM by mary »

Offline rcblackwell

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
Please give more details of errors etc.
What package & version are you using ?
smeserver-ddclient
or
sme7-ddclient

I tried smeserver-ddclient package from the sme7contrib (Version  1.0.0-19.el4.sme ). I'm not very Linux literate thus all I can tell you is that DynDNS did not register a request to update my IP address. Using GREP I managed to pull the following information from the box;

[root@bgoncaweblnx01 ~]# cat /var/log/messages | grep ddclient
Dec  3 15:30:32 bgoncaweblnx01 yum: Installed: smeserver-ddclient-1.0.0-19.el4.sme.noarch
Dec  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 /etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/cgi-bin/ddclient[23420]: /home/e-smith/db/domains: OLD afticarr.com=domain|Content|afticarr|Description|AFTICA Railroad|Nameservers|internet|dns|DYNDNS2|login|rcblackwell|mx||owner|webadmin|password|**********
Dec  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 /etc/e-smith/web/panels/manager/cgi-bin/ddclient[23420]: /home/e-smith/db/domains: NEW afticarr.com=domain|Content|afticarr|Description|AFTICA Railroad|Nameservers|internet|dns|DYNDNS3|login|rcblackwell|mx||owner|webadmin|password|**********
Dec  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 esmith::event[23421]: Processing event: ddclient
Dec  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 esmith::event[23421]: expanding /etc/ddclient/ddclient.conf
Dec  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 esmith::event[23421]: ERROR: Cannot create output file //etc/ddclient/ddclient.conf.23422 No such file or directory
Dec  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 esmith::event[23421]: generic_template_expand=action|Event|ddclient|Action|generic_template_expand|Start|1354566702 248180|End|1354566702 367156|Elapsed|0.118976
Dec  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 esmith::event[23421]: adjusting non-supervised ddclient (restart)
  c  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 esmith::event[23421]: Stopping ddclient: [FAILED]
  c  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 esmith::event[23421]: Starting ddclient: [  OK  ]
Dec  3 15:31:42 bgoncaweblnx01 esmith::event[23421]: adjust-services=action|Event|ddclient|Action|adjust-services|Start|1354566702 367657|End|1354566702 962514|Elapsed|0.594857

The error listed above leads me to believe ddclient is not able to create a ddclient.conf file. When I tried looking for the file I couldn't find a directory named //etc/ddclient. I did find a ddclient.conf file in the /etc directory. A look through that file reveals all entries are commented out and the file is meant to be used as a sample.

Unless someone offers insight into this issue within the next 24 hours I'll uninstall this package and try installing sme7-dclient.

Thanks
Robert
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:04:39 PM by rcblackwell »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:06:24 AM »
rcblackwell

It's a good idea to look at bug reports
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6211

...and a bugzilla search on smeserver-ddclient finds a few issues (similar to your observations)
http://bugs.contribs.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=smeserver-ddclient&list_id=11229

It would probably be good if you added your experiences & findings to the most appropriate bug, or a new one.
It might help get problems with this contrib resolved.

Unless someone offers insight into this issue within the next 24 hours I'll uninstall this package and try installing sme7-dclient.

There seems to be unresolved issues with the smeserver-ddclient contrib, so I suggest you try the sme7-ddclient without hesitation.

Perhaps this bug has the patches needed to fix smeserver-ddclient, but I have not tried them.
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6820

Offline rcblackwell

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 02:32:35 AM »
It's a good idea to look at bug reports
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6211

It would probably be good if you added your experiences & findings to the most appropriate bug, or a new one.
It might help get problems with this contrib resolved.

Thank you for this. The problems listed in bug report 6820 are almost identical to the problems I'm facing. I have updated that bug report accordingly. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll now work at getting sme7-ddcleint working.

Robert

Offline rcblackwell

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »
There seems to be unresolved issues with the smeserver-ddclient contrib, so I suggest you try the sme7-ddclient without hesitation.

I had a little trouble locating this package as the smeserver.free.fr site referenced in the wiki cannot be reached. I managed to find a copy of the file by searching through forum messages. A grep of the catalog for indicates the package has installed and seems to be working. I'll watch this service for a few days and if a problem exists I'll report back.

Thanks for the assistance.

Robert

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:39:50 AM »
rcblackwell

I had a little trouble locating this package as the smeserver.free.fr site referenced in the wiki cannot be reached. I managed to find a copy of the file by searching through forum messages.

Which is probably this post
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,48527.msg241092.html#msg241092

The contrib file is here
http://www.files.com/shared/4f89e32b9c187/sme7-ddclient-3.7.3-7.noarch.zip

Refer also to updated instructions in the ddclient contrib wiki article
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:11:12 AM by mary »