Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Retrieving mail collected via Fetchmail

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
Retrieving mail collected via Fetchmail
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »
I have 2 e-mail accounts (different domains) on our SME server.  I have a 3rd e-mail account via an external provider, which I pull onto the server using Fetchmail, which works fine.  Fetchmail places these mails into a separate folder (Scarlet) in my user profile, which I can view using the horde webmail client.

What I would like to do is have my e-mail client (Outlook) pull the contents of the  Fetchmail map over to my laptop when it collects the other mail.

I've looked at the documentation but I can't find any help on this.

Can anyone give me any guidance?

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
Re: Retrieving mail collected via Fetchmail
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:29:31 PM »
What I would like to do is have my e-mail client (Outlook) pull the contents of the  Fetchmail map over to my laptop when it collects the other mail.

I've looked at the documentation but I can't find any help on this.

This is a Windows/Outlook issue, nothing specifically to do with SME server.

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
Hi Charlie,

Good to see you're on form!

I agree it's not a SME PROBLEM or I'd have considered posting it as a possible bug - where it would have remained ignored for at least a week, or abruptly been closed as "Not a bug". 

It does however go to usability of SME.  All I'm asking for is guidance on how to pull the contents of a folder other the "Inbox" from the server to a mail client.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
It does however go to usability of SME.  All I'm asking for is guidance on how to pull the contents of a folder other the "Inbox" from the server to a mail client.

And that's entirely a client issue. If the client is a POP client, I believe what you are asking is not possible. If it is an IMAP client, then whether it is possible and how to do it will vary from client to client. Since you are asking particularly about Outlook, I would point you to Microsoft documentation and Outlook specific support forums.

This might be a starting point:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/outlook-help/choose-which-imap-account-folders-appear-in-outlook-HP010355590.aspx

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for that link!  I'll need to look at the implications of swapping from POP3 to IMAP.

I realise that's far outside the remit of this forum  :)

Thanks for your help.

Offline p-jones

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
Fetchmail places these mails into a separate folder (Scarlet) in my user profile, which I can view using the horde webmail client.

Dave Simmonds
How did you achieve this ?

As far as I was aware, the Fetchmail contrib for SME simply injects these emails into the users standard inbox where they became jumble up with other emails in the inbox. Are you using something different or have I  missed something ?

As a comment, I moved to IMAP about a year ago. Only whish I had done it many years ago. I have found that Outlook prior to 2007 does not handle IMAP super cleanly.

Offline dave simmons

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »
Dave Simmonds
How did you achieve this ?

As far as I was aware, the Fetchmail contrib for SME simply injects these emails into the users standard inbox where they became jumble up with other emails in the inbox. Are you using something different or have I  missed something ?

As a comment, I moved to IMAP about a year ago. Only whish I had done it many years ago. I have found that Outlook prior to 2007 does not handle IMAP super cleanly.

I don't know how I did it!  I installed/configured Fetchmail ages ago, but it didn't seem to work (what I mean is that I didn't get any of the external mails coming through to my mail client inbox). 

Earlier this week I opened the horde webmail client, which I've done many times before. Normally I only use the webmail client if I'm away from the office, to check mail in my inbox.  This time I clicked on the drop-down menu because I was looking for a particular mail which hadn't come in, and I suspected it had maybe gone into junkmail.  It was then I noticed a folder with the name of my external mail account with nearly 15000 mails in!

I had hoped that the fetchmail contrib would collect the mail and inject it into my normal inbox as I wanted to use the anti-spam functionality of SME to filter the mail - I was getting upwards of 100 spam messages a day and there was no spam filtering on my external mail account.

Sorry I can't give more detail!

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »
This is certainly curious. AFAIAA fetchmail doesn't drop the mails into separate folders so I can only presume you must have a rule either in Horde or Outlook that does this for you ?

It would be interesting if you could find out what caused it and post back for others.

As far as Outlook goes the IMAP support was pretty awful certainly up to 2003, though I have no experience of newer versions as we dropped it for this very reason.

IMAP is certainly the way ahead - all the mail stays on the server and you access what you want, when you want, from which ever device you have.

B. rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation