Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

How much email messages does your severs receive in a day?

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
How much email messages does your severs receive in a day?
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »
Hi
I am working on some code projects to look at new email coming in.
One project for me is not to allow any emails having any ip addresses in the email being from outside of the United States being delivered to a user. I will quarantine those emails and also allow those emails to be delivered into the maillog account for review. If it was not for bad people, all this work be of no use and we would all be happier and have more time to spend on happier moments.

I always try to write my code for the unexpected. Meaning my code handling high volume email. I always try to make code as generic as possible too, if i can, to allow for others to make use of the same code or a bit altered for their purposes. That is called sharing.

My question is then.

Are there any high volume or mid range volume of emails being delivered to your server(s) or to others server(s) ?

I am sure to some, 100 emails being delivered a day would be high but to me that would be considered low. This all matters on how well or how much effort is put into my email coding projects.

Thanks for response.

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.scanmailx.com
Re: How much email messages does your severs receive in a day?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »
I guess the real answer depends on your definition on high volume?

Assuming that you develop this as a qpsmtpd plugin using GeoIP, then I can say that perl based GeoIP which I use in my Greylister handles around 500.000 emails a day based on the connection IP address.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
That is an impressive number of emails specially if that number is on the receiving end.
Is one computer doing all the email processing.
If so. How do you rank the computer resources as far as handling that number of emails.
Surely my server would not handle that number on the processor and drive I am using.

Thanks for an answer.

Offline Knuddi

• +0/-0
    • http://www.scanmailx.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:07:15 AM »
Its not a normal SME setup as this is handled via a load balanced setup with multiple scanners (comparable to SME server i delegate mode). But for comparison, then this is handled by 12 cores and 24G of RAM running at ~20-25% load.

The project that you plan to do can be done with SpamAssassin and the RelayCountry plugin - basically you can just score everything outside the US with 100.

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
Thank you Knuddi.
I appreciate you being on the forum and sharing your professional hard learned expertize from  your background.