Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Foundation - the future of SME.....

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
Re: Foundation - the future of SME.....
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
A name more easier to remember and say is a much better choice.
An example might be PowerServer, NoIronServer, MyOwnServer, ServMyself, SeverItToMe, MoreNowServer, LittleBigTimeServer. 
 Of course I would not vote on most of these names. But all them are better than z whatever it's called now.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
I read the name last week cannot even remember it now. I starts with a z and I think it has two o's in it. I think a name should be remember able and spell able easily. If you say the name to somebody, you should not get them saying "spell that", "say that again", "what". It is very clear to me if a name has anything to with success. You should call this new os Titantic because at least it would be a named remembered.

Clearly having seen it barely mentioned, you seemed to have got a handle on it already :-)

It is also clear although there may be some smart people on the team. They know nothing about marketing.  That was intended to be an insult. If that is what it takes to rattle them into reality.

Personally I take issue with that - for a start my wife and I work in promotional marketing - and I really don't think insulting people is going to do anything positive is it ? You are going back to the same old same old and that is what nearly destroyed SME the last time round. As I said, positive and constructive discussion is good. Being rude doesn't help anyone.

I purposely tried to ensure that a lot of the 'Board' were from business backgrounds, and I have tried to make sure that there is a balance between developer and business as I know that is the way we have to go. Beyond that we have a lot of others we can turn to for advice and we have spoken to people in PR as well.

We have kept the whole thing low key at the minute on  purpose  - the name is no good without a logo to reinforce it. We are visually stimulated beasts. Anyone who the basics knows that. Names themselves don't mean a lot without some form of visual reinforcement. We would have preferred to have announced the two hand in hand (e.g. name and a logo), but wanted to let people know what was happening.

If you want to get your own way and have a voice, then get involved, but don't just sit and snipe on the sidelines please.

You can find my email address anywhere around if you want to contact me and volunteer for a job. There is plenty to do.

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 07:14:40 PM »
A name more easier to remember and say is a much better choice.
An example might be PowerServer, NoIronServer, MyOwnServer, ServMyself, SeverItToMe, MoreNowServer, LittleBigTimeServer. 
 Of course I would not vote on most of these names. But all them are better than z whatever it's called now.

If you want you can have Koozali IronManServer or whatever else you want. There are no limits to what it could be called, and that is the point - in time we may want Koozali SME Business Server, Koozali SME Home Server or whatever else you can come up with.

The point is we have as much flexibility as we want now.

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline piran

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »
...the name is no good without a logo to reinforce it. We are visually stimulated beasts. Anyone who the basics knows that. Names themselves don't mean a lot without some form of visual reinforcement. We would have preferred to have announced the two hand in hand (e.g. name and a logo), but wanted to let people know what was happening.
The logo/logoform is now... what/where?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
purvis

I read the name last week cannot even remember it now. I starts with a z and I think it has two o's in it.

Perhaps you need to go back to school for some reading lessons, or maybe you are just getting old & senile & forgetful. It starts with a k.

I think a name should be remember able and spell able easily.

Yes with spelling abilities like that you definitely need some more english lessons.

If you say the name to somebody, you should not get them saying "spell that", "say that again", "what". It is very clear to me if a name has anything to with success. You should call this new os Titantic because at least it would be a named remembered.

That is a reasonable opinion but not an ultimate blocker. I have to spell my own business name many times purely because it is based on my natural given surname, which some people spell one way & others spell another way, but my business is still successful. In these days of written communication, email addresses & web sites etc, the new name will be easily discernible.
I know you did not mean it to be used, but Titanic SME could be seen as being an immediate disaster of an OS !!!
So koozali, while unusual & different, implies & means a beginning & a start & something new to look forward to. Reasonably optimistic to me.

It is also clear although there may be some smart people on the team. They know nothing about marketing.  That was intended to be an insult. If that is what it takes to rattle them into reality.

So where were you when the call was made for people to come forward & be involved in setting up the new SME server structure. The call was made in early January 2013 & volunteers & those seriously committed to keeping SME server alive, stepped forward & offered their services, their names are at the start of this thread. They worked through the "issues" & they made the call, & therefore they are quite entitled to come up with a name & a organisational structure they think is suitable.
If you are really concerned about helping & marketing the new Koozali SME Server, then offer your services if you are an expert at product marketing etc. I'm sure your claimed skills would be appreciated.

Please do not start insulting (to use your words) people in these forums, at a time when your comment is more or less irrelevant as it is a done deal now & a commitment has been made to the koozali name.

I would also ask others not to respond to such insults, as in the words of purvis, it is just designed to "rattle them into reality", & I think such discussions will just be a waste of everybodies valuable time. If purvis wants to be serious about assisting, then he can give positive input & help to the Koozali Foundation team. It is still the SME server as we know it today, just taking on a new name, so there is no valid reason to suddenly not support Koozali SME Server just because you do not personally like or are critical of the new name.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
The logo/logoform is now... what/where?

We are looking at some professional designs at the minute which one of the Board members has paid for personally out of his own pocket (not forgetting also the domains that were purchased for the Foundation personally by Board members)

Once we have narrowed down a few designs we'll post for comments.

In the meantime, anybody who isn't helping with code can always make a donation :-) All will be gratefully received....

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki

Offline piran

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »
Is the Koozali Foundation already 'twinned' with the similarly
named town/city of Koozali in the Golestan province of Iran?
http://www.irangpsmap.com/ShowCity.asp?id=29136&GM=0&lang=1

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
Where was I in January 2013. Working my butt off to provide more information to the  social direction the US Government is headed because of another "smart" person.

A name should not require a logo. Only a bad name requires a logo. Oriental people in America   named their children American names for a good reason. Linux os names do not have to be exotic names.

Offline piran

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
Any branding is better defended with a recognisable logoform.

Offline piran

• +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 08:34:33 PM »
Into the ideas mix for our new collective logoform,
with reference to rebirth, how about visual mitosis?
K00ZALI
eg negatively tracking together the two 'O' characters
here using their '0' counterparts for additional emphasis.
I cannot make the forum reply function perform negative
tracking and manual kerning - you'll have to imagine;-)
Less graphic design speak... squish the two '00' chars
together with a little bit of contact deformation.

Advantage of a logoform (using your protected domain
name) is that there is probably less likelyhood of there
being another pre-existing (eg contended) design out there.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
Into the ideas mix for our new collective logoform,
with reference to rebirth, how about visual mitosis?

LOL. Wait til you see some of the designs proposed. You are not a million miles off ;-) Hope to show you all some ideas soon.

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki

Offline stephdl

• +0/-0
    • Linux et Geekeries
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »
A name should not require a logo. Only a bad name requires a logo. Oriental people in America   named their children American names for a good reason. Linux os names do not have to be exotic names.
Mageia, Ubuntu, Slackware, Centos, Debian, puppy linux and so all....this is what i qualify of exotic name :p

They mean nothing except they affirm their brand.

The purpose is not to get a war against users, just to make a new sustainable way to our community linux distro....So i'm convinced that everybody have his place in the future of Koozali SME Server.
I do not want to see some fear, or  worried....SME Server will still free and open-source.....but don't forget to give a little bit of money every month... it is quite easy and we need it.

This is a new start for a new Hope.
See http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation
irc : Freenode #sme_server #sme-fr

!!! Please write your knowledge to the Wiki !!!

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »
purvis

Where was I in January 2013. Working my butt off to provide more information to the  social direction the US Government is headed because of another "smart" person.

So that just confirms you did not want to personally get involved, the reason being you felt you were too busy, so therefore any role you desired to have in choosing a new name or structure, was delegated to others, & they went ahead & got busy & chose a name etc.

I think you would be better off to stop wasting your time criticising & use that same time to get involved & help the project with your stated talents.
The forums is not the place to help with negative comments etc, so please contact one of the directors of the foundation directly.
If you do not wish to help, then that's OK also, but please do not criticise those who are doing something positive.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 11:48:48 PM »

As I assume you are joking, ROFLMAO.....

Class :-)

Any one like to volunteer for the position of Global Twinning Coordinator ?

LOL

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki

Offline gzartman

• +0/-0
    • LEI Engineering & Surveying
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »

Mis-translation of the actual name of that town.

----
Greg J. Zartman
LEI Engineering & Surveying

SME user and community member since 2000.