Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Separate Router - Firewall - Cablemodem for addition of Debit Card machine

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
I am switching an office from Telephone companies ADSL to the Cable companies about Feb.22 . At that time I want to change their Credit/Debit card reader from a phone line to internet as its capable of both. This requires 2 ports opened to  SSL and a 2nd port which eludes me at the moment and the reader must be assigned a static IP.

I did this at our main location using a old Netgear 4 port wire router and it works perfectly, even if the SME server is down I can use the internet from a workstation to read up on solutions and also the Credit card reader is still functional and instant/unlike with phone hookup and saves a $75.00 month business line. The Netgear also supplies DHCP

What today is a good durable router, probably 4 port that allows hookup of the cable modem and allows SME server to act as a web server. The Cable company says their 4 port+wireless unit won't work with a static IP so I need to find something else - I don't want wireless but any extra firewalling or vpn capabilities might be nice.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline purvis

• +0/-0
Re: Separate Router - Firewall - Cablemodem for addition of Debit Card machine
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:22:55 AM »
i am paying for more than one ip addresses from the cable company, the second is usually cheaper in a business setup.

one cable modem->single switch box->a single router per wan ip address->switch box->a second router behind each first router.

so i have 2 lans with each single ipaddress used.

i place equipment that can access the internet between the first and second router and my business computers behind the second routers.
i decided to have my sme servers behind the second router.
i set the first router's DMZ setting to point to the second router, then port forward specific ports toward the  sme server behind the second router.
you can use specific port forwarding on the first router to point to any device between the first and second router.

all routers are the same and each router has port translation features.
routers change, i always buy backup routers of the same once i am satisfied with one by buying and testing.
i do not own a netgear wndr3800 but i think they might be what something you are interested in.

not the only reason, but one reason i use 2 routers is because on many routers, you can only port forward or port translate and forward on a limited number of ports, 20 in my case on my cheap routers.

Offline AusMounty

• +0/-0
Why not just have the standard ports on the incoming flow remap to specific ports you set on the debit machine? Having done many upgrades on ATM's & eftpos terminals I know it is possible to change the default ports to listen on the ones you specify? That way the mapping is done effectively and will not interfere with default assigned ports