Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

SME on network with existing DHCP server

Offline Rich

• +0/-0
SME on network with existing DHCP server
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
This must be simple! Sorry - I am new to Linux.

I am using SME on a network as a file server.

This network has a DHCP server. How can I configure SME to obtain an IP address automatically?

I cannot find anything that works through the configuration procedure. Do I have to delve into the linux command prompt?

Many thanks,
Rich

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: SME on network with existing DHCP server
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »
SME server can act as a dhcp server but not (AFAIK) as a dhcp client

just configure it with a static ip address and create a reservation on the dhcp server

Offline Rich

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
Ah, thanks Stefano

I do not have control over the DHCP server on the network so I am a bit wary about just choosing a random static IP address for the SME server.

If I assign an (at that time) unused IP number to SME then will the DHCP server pick this up and then *not* assign it to any further computers?

It is a bit disappointing that I cannot simply configure SME to obtain IP from a DHCP service - but I guess that on a network it is simpler if the IP is static anyway.

Rich

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »
I do not have control over the DHCP server on the network so I am a bit wary about just choosing a random static IP address for the SME server.

contact who manage the dhcp server and ask him..

If I assign an (at that time) unused IP number to SME then will the DHCP server pick this up and then *not* assign it to any further computers?

I don't know, since I don't know anything about the dhcp server

It is a bit disappointing that I cannot simply configure SME to obtain IP from a DHCP service - but I guess that on a network it is simpler if the IP is static anyway.

you are, IMO, missing a point..
SME is a SERVER distribution, it acts as a server and offers services to the lan..
the reason why it MUST have a static ip is clear enough to me :-)

Offline Rich

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »
Thanks again Stafano,

Maybe SME is the wrong choice for me to run a file server on my network then  :-(

Anyone know of any easy-to-configure distros that would provide me with a file server (a shame as I really like the i-Bays) that will work as a DHCP client?

Rich

Offline larieu

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »
Rich

1. first - this is not the intended use of the server as on the LAN side is SERVER not client

but

2. you could put second NIC interface - and set it as gateway
on the second interface (WAN) you'll have DHCP client option (from my remember)

you'll need to make appropriate settings that the i-Bays can be accessed via "public" interface - probably with user/pass

if everybody's life around you is better, probably yours will be better
just try to improve their life

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »
Maybe SME is the wrong choice for me to run a file server on my network then  :-(

IMVHO any SERVER solution with dinamic ip on the lan side is a wrong choice..

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »
Anyone know of any easy-to-configure distros that would provide me with a file server (a shame as I really like the i-Bays) that will work as a DHCP client?

http://www.freenas.org/

Offline Rich

• +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
Thanks larieu, that's a good solution. - I'm sure I have an NIC somewhere gathering dust! I'll try that first.

@Stefano - yeah, I agree, it's just the circumstance I have to operate under on this network.

@MSmith - looks ideal for me. If the extra NIC doesn't work I'll give that a shot (I should have started out looking for a NAS solution!)

Thanks all for your help.

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 01:33:47 AM »

Not quite. Properly written DHCP servers will always probe whether an address is in use before allocating it. So while your server is on and connected to the network, the address won't be allocated to another system. But the DHCP server won't permanently mark that address as "not for allocation" - that needs to be done manually.

It's not just simpler - it's necessary (unless you have DNS integrated with DHCP). The clients need to be able to find the server, via IP address or via DNS, if it might pop up from time to time with a different address.

Offline azche24

• +0/-0
    • http://az-law.de
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 06:38:08 AM »
Thanks larieu, that's a good solution. - I'm sure I have an NIC somewhere gathering dust! I'll try that first.
Not a good solution. Your concept ist wrong by design. If you run a fileserver in an internal network, it should either have a static IP or receive an IP to hostname resolution from the dhcp-server. For both you need access to the dhcp-server. Talk to your admin.

Nas4free or freenas will only partly solve your problem. You can configure dhcp-client as an option there, but your fileserver will show up under a different IP after each reboot. Many services in SME rely on proper dns resolution, which will not work in your concept. So if you only need samba file storage, a NAS distro ist much more suitable for your needs.
Alexander Ziemann, Berlin - DE

Offline MSmith

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
Nas4free or freenas will only partly solve your problem. You can configure dhcp-client as an option there, but your fileserver will show up under a different IP after each reboot. Many services in SME rely on proper dns resolution, which will not work in your concept. So if you only need samba file storage, a NAS distro ist much more suitable for your needs.

I must respectfully disagree. Not every reboot will result in a different IP address, as the DHCP server will at least consider assigning the same IP as before. Plus, a good network admin would have arranged things such that DNS resolution will work, i.e. if SME Server "SME-YO" is assigned 10.11.12.55, then DNS lookups of SME-YO will return 10.11.12.55.

Even if OP doesn't have direct access to the DHCP server, would the admin consider an IP reservation in the DHCP scope? Typically these are done by MAC address, i.e. OP would inform the admin of SME-YO's MAC address and the admin would arrange it so that SME-YO was always assigned the same IP address, which he/she would then report to OP.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »
OP has been told
just configure it with a static ip address and create a reservation on the dhcp server

and answered

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
I must respectfully disagree. Not every reboot will result in a different IP address, as the DHCP server will at least consider assigning the same IP as before.

That I agree with.

Plus, a good network admin would have arranged things such that DNS resolution will work, i.e. if SME Server "SME-YO" is assigned 10.11.12.55, then DNS lookups of SME-YO will return 10.11.12.55.

But this I don't. That depends both on control of the DNS server and the DNS server having integration with the DHCP server. Not all "good network admins" will be able to do this. Certainly a static DHCP reservation will be much more uniformly available. And in this case OP says he/she cannot do even that.

This does seem to be a political problem more than a technical one. It's rather a challenge to administer a server without even minimal co-operation from the administrator of the network.