Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

IPoE

Offline peterhocking

• +0/-0
    • Welcome to the Hockings at Canberra
IPoE
« on: October 18, 2013, 05:23:19 AM »
Hi

I'm located in Australia & have just had a NBN broadband connection at my house to replace our ADSL2+ connection

The internet service provider I'm using uses IPoE instead of PPPoE etc.

Does SME Server support using IPoE as a connection protocol?

TIA

Peter

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: IPoE
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 06:10:09 AM »
peterhocking

Does SME Server support using IPoE as a connection protocol?

Yes, a search of the Forums found this
http://forums.contribs.org/index.php/topic,49927.msg250224.html#msg250224
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline peterhocking

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
Thanks I'd seen that, but from it I wasn't certain how I should configure the red interface network card.
Can you expand a little?
TIA

Peter

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
peterhocking

Thanks I'd seen that, but from it I wasn't certain how I should configure the red interface network card. Can you expand a little?

I do not use it, and you do not fully describe your network layout, but I think the approach is to configure your modem/router as described in that article & in the further link given ie https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/techguides_other_modems_with_Be_broadband
and then find out the gateway IP from your NBN ISP and configure SME server to use static IP, in admin console Configure this server.

Your ISP is really the best one to ask.

It would probably help if you told us who your NBN ISP is, and which specific modem you are using, & what your network layout is (or what you desire it to be).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:11:55 PM by janet »

Offline peterhocking

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the tech support department of my ISP, (iiNet), is not up to it, they can't even support the router they supplied , a BOB Lite, any thing other than basic connection support they have told me they can not help with.

What I would like to do is replace the router they've supplied with my SME server. Currently my SME server sits on my network in server only mode & the Bob Lite router appears to not be able to handle the necessary port forwarding. iiNet's tech support department refuses to help, even though they supplied the router.

I had planned just to use the Bob Lite router temporarily & then sett up my SME server to replace, (I assumed they used PPPoE, (big mistake to assume), but they use IPoE.

So I'm trying to ascertain if SME Server supports IPoE so I can replace the ISP supplied router with it.

TIA

Peter

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 04:44:48 AM »
Might be worthwhile asking in one of the forums at Whirlpool http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 05:09:31 AM »
peterhocking

As I understand it, inherently the SME server does not have direct configuration support for IPoE, ie meaning you cannot select IPoE in the SME server configuration screens.
The way you make SME server function with a IPoE protocol is to configure SME for Server & Gateway mode & select the Static IP option, & that gateway IP you need to obtain from iiNet.
You have been told where to configure this.

The modem/router (BOB Lite) supplied by iiNet is then configured to use the IPoE protocol to talk to the providors equipment.
You have also been given some generic instructions re how to do this.

For more specific instructions, you really need to read the manual for the BOB Lite & that should tell you how to configure it appropriately, assuming of course that it does support IPoE, which I assume it does as iiNet supplied the modem to you. It would also need to support or provide the bridged mode referred to.

Usually, to configure a modem, you connect the modem directly via Ethernet port to a standalone workstation, having configured the appropriate IP range in your workstation network setup, and then log in to the modem as admin using a web browser pointing to the factory default IP setup in the modem ie typically 192.168.1.1 or something like that (so put http://192.168.1.1 into the browser). Then run through the modem configuration & set it as described previously. (Edit - The manual refers to using 10.1.1.1).

Note that SME server cannot physically replace a modem. In server & gateway mode you still need a modem/router, but the usual firewall & routing & login client & port forwarding functions etc are disabled & bridging mode is selected, which just passes all data straight through. The login client in SME server (eg for ADSL, ppoe etc) is then used, instead of the client in the modem/router.

In your case you need the modem/router to handle the IPoE protocol requirements, but SME server will use the gateway IP provided by your ISP (iiNet) to communicate via, when you set it in the Static IP page setup screen (in server gateway mode).

If you cannot get support for the BOB Lite, then you would purchase another modem that does provide all the requirements & has support & manuals available etc.

I have not searched for the BOB Lite on Internet, but surely there must be info available online about it.

Does that make it clearer for you ?

PS You always need to check the specs for everything, never assume !
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:20:39 AM by janet »

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:30:09 AM »
peterhocking

Google BOB Lite iiNet
There are plenty of search results including Whirpool links

Here is the Manual
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/iinet/manuals/bob_lite/BoB%20Lite%20-%20User%20Manual.pdf

After having a quick read, it suggests this modem is purpose designed for a home user situation, to provide Internet to your local network or locally connected computers via 4 Ethernet ports, & to also provide VOIP & Wireless.

I could not see reference to port forwarding that you would need to use it with SME server (in server only mode), or not reference to bridging mode which you would need to use it with SME server in server & gateway mode.

Also you may need to rethink your network topography, for if you do disable all functions in the modem/router & use a bridging mode, then VOIP & Wireless have to be provided by other devices behind your SME server (in server & gateway mode). It depends what your needs & usage are as to whether using SME server in server & gateway mode or server only mode is correct for this situation.

I'm not sure at this stage whether this modem has the capabilities you need.
You may need to buy another one that is more fully featured.

Edit:
Here is a tech spec
http://www.iinet.net.au/hardware/bob/specs/

It does support bridging & port forwarding so you should be able to use SME either way, server only mode or server & gateway mode.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:17:39 AM by janet »

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 05:34:28 AM »
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline peterhocking

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not having any issues configuring the BoB Lite with port forwarding, (which I've done many times with many other routers), but it appears that the router supplied by my ISP can't  handle it or is faulty, but my ISP has not been helpful in resolving this. The NBN connection essentially provides an ethernet port which a router is plugged into & the router supplies a user name & password.

I've since posted on the Whirlpool forums & a representative from my ISP on that forum has since advised me that if my router's red interface can be set to use DHCP & can supply a user name & password that it should work. I haven't configured network cards on a SME server for some time, but if memory serves me correctly, I believe it supports this, so I'll go & try it.

Thanks,

Peter