Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Share Connection via Netbootdisk - Ghost Images

Offline Pol1987

• +0/-0
Share Connection via Netbootdisk - Ghost Images
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »
Hello Guys,

I have a question, at home i'm using a SME Server and a Qnap TS-559 Pro+  File server. Both servers are set-up as server only and my router from my ISP is DHCP.
In the past when i had only my SME Server (version 6.X and 7.X, set-up as Server & Gateway) is was able to make and load images from a share with Ghost.exe which was located at that share. I used Netbootdisk (www.netbootdisk.com) to make the connection to the share and ran ghost.exe.

Since a year i'm not able to make the share connection with netbootdisk and since i'm still wondering what the problem is i was hoping you guys can help me.

When i run the netbootdisk i should be able to make a network connection with the following command: "net use f: \\server\share". When i use this command i get at both servers the error "error 5:  acces has been denied". When i use the "net view" command i get Error 6118: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".

I already tried to edit some details as lanman auth, client lanman auth in the smb.conf file but this didn't do the trick. Does anyone of you have any idea how to solve this problem?

I was also thinking that it maybe was due to my router from my ISP but when i put off all firewalls it still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance i hope i get some replies!!

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
Re: Share Connection via Netbootdisk - Ghost Images
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »
Have you tryed to use "net use f: \\IP-OF-SME\SHARE "  ?

As far as I remember, there are an option to use a username as parameter of "net use" . Try to use another user .

Please keep the password simple...maybe you have a charset problem with your password.

Could be better to create a new user "slave" with a long passwor "12-Years-Slavery" to use just for this proposal.
BTW : I always configure a "
slave" user to put on scanners, multi funtional devices an so on.

Could you connect to QNAS using the "net use" command ?

Offline Pol1987

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »
Hi,

i now made a "slave" user with a password "slave123456" and it stil doesn't work so it is no charset issue.
When i use the normal command: "net use f: \\server\images" i get the following answer:

Code: [Select]
The password is invalid for \\server\images.
Type the password for  \\server\images: _______

Error 5: Access has been denied.

When i use the ip-command: "net use f: \\192.168.1.2\images" i get the following answer:

Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
I'm still able to "ping" the server, i get an echo within < 50msec so that's OK.

Both SME Server and QNAP are having the same problem....

I also tried e.g. "net use f: \\server\images /user:slave", i then get the following answer:
The option "USER:SLAVE" is unknown.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:57:54 PM »
Pol1987

....i'm using a SME Server and a Qnap TS-559 Pro+  File server. Both servers are set-up as server only and my router from my ISP is DHCP......
In the past when i had only my SME Server (version 6.X and 7.X, set-up as Server & Gateway)........
i should be able to make a network connection with the following command: "net use f: \\server\share". When i use this command i get at both servers the error "error 5:  acces has been denied".
When i use the "net view" command i get Error 6118: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available".

I think that last error is the crux of the matter. It is an issue of network topology.

I assume here that the sme server is named server, & that the share is an ibay on that server, correct ?

When you only had a sme server in server & gateway mode, it also provided the DNS server for your local network. Now both your servers are in server only mode, & the network is not configured for either of them to be the local DNS server (although sme can act as a DNS server, not sure about Qnap), & it sounds like your network gateway is now your router.
Typically in this case, the router should provide DNS functions, so you would need to enter name details in your router DNS setup (if a place exists to do so).

Otherwise you need to point your router at say the sme server for local DNS resolution.

Depending how you set things up, you may want to add local LAN server names in the router, or otherwise in the hostnames panel of sme server (if using that as your DNS server for your LAN), so they will resolve to the right device.

Previously using a main server in server & gateway mode (& utilising the DNS server & various other functions it provides), makes networking much simpler.
Now that you use a seperate gateway (router) & servers in server only mode, network management is more complicated as a result, therefore you have to delegate those functions appropriately to the desired server or device.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Pol1987

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
Dear Janet,

Thanks for the Reply, somewhere in the back of my mind i had already some thoughts that the problem could be in the "network". The switch from server & gateway to server only was already bugging me but i couldn't' find any related problem till now.

Probably the DNS is the problem, the router from my ISP is DHCP and also DNS (Router = Cisco EPC3925).

So if i'm understanding well i should either make my server/qnap DNS of set something wright in my cisco router?

Do you have any tips what's the best and maybe some options for my router??

Thanks in advance!

Offline johnp

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »
Using SME for DNS would work IMHO and hostnames are easy to add.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »
Pol1987

Do you have any tips what's the best and maybe some options for my router??

Please re-read my post, & perhaps you should do some googling on the topic.

I am not familiar with that router or Qnap, so cannot guide you specifically re those.
Others here may be able to advise further.

It's not options you need to set, but you need to decide on your network layout or topology (ie where/which device is your DNS server) & where to add server names for servers on your local network & probably the IP they are on, so that when you type in their names, your request will resolve.
Where you do that is your choice, ie on the router if it supports that, or in sme server hostnames panel. Take a look at that panel in server manager.
If you decide to use sme server as your DNS server, then you probably need to set that in your router, as I assume the router is acting as gateway for your network, otherwise set your workstations & servers network interface settings to use the sme server as DNS server.

Exactly where & how you set it depends on your network & your choices.

Typically the LAN network interface will automatically use the gateway (ie the router) for DNS also, so you have to override that & set the sme server IP instead to be the DNS server (if that's how you choose to do it). So manually configure the Network settings.

Edit:
PS Why not go back to using your sme server as server & gateway, with the modem in bridged mode. Far simpler to manage.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:00:12 PM by janet »
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
Hi,

i now made a "slave" user with a password "slave123456" and it stil doesn't work so it is no charset issue.
When i use the normal command: "net use f: \\server\images" i get the following answer:

The password is invalid for \\server\images.
Type the password for  \\server\images: _______

Error 5: Access has been denied.

When i use the ip-command: "net use f: \\192.168.1.2\images" i get the following answer:

Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
I'm still able to "ping" the server, i get an echo within < 50msec so that's OK.

Both SME Server and QNAP are having the same problem....

I also tried e.g. "net use f: \\server\images /user:slave", i then get the following answer:
The option "USER:SLAVE" is unknown.

AFAIK, net use command uses WINS to resolve SERVER name. So I think your problem is a WINS server missing.

Could you verify your server is configurated as  Workgroup and Domainn Controller in server-manager ?

I've used NETBOOT disk several years ago in a PXE install. I'll try it in virtualbox and let you know if I get same error.
Maybe the recent SAMBA protocol changes are the problem.
 EDIT1: I've done some tests on NETBOOTDISK v 5.6:
1) I can connect to my server, get an ip from DHCP and can "net use f: \\servidor\lixo" that maps my garbage (lixo) share on my server.
I have choose:
Full Redirector (not only BASIC)
DNS
Packet
Mouse
NTFS (was  NO support)

My SME is server-only, configurated as domain controler.
In Netboot screen I can "ping <servername>" as defined on workgroup screen of server (it's the same screen where is defined WORKGROUP NAME and if it's a domain controller).

EDIT2: It's confirmed: the critical option is to enable NTFS support.
See my options and connection here:
http://www.abandonemicrosoft.net/publico/Imagens/NETBOOTDISK_SME_options.png
http://www.abandonemicrosoft.net/publico/Imagens/NETBOOTDISK_SME_Connected.png
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:26:09 PM by jader »

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 05:12:29 AM »
AFAIK, net use command uses WINS to resolve SERVER name. So I think your problem is a WINS server missing.

It's more complicated than that. Windows networking (e.g. the "net use ..." command) sometimes uses WINS, sometimes broadcast netbios queries, sometimes AD, etc. etc.

Offline Jáder

• +0/-0
    • LinuxFacil
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »
Hi,

It's working ?
If YES , please let us to know, so next time someone else search will find out the solution!

Regards

Jáder