Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

EspoCRM vs e.g. VTiger

Offline Charles2008

• +0/-0
Re: EspoCRM vs e.g. VTiger
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »
Apologies for the tardy reply - I must have missed the alert email.

I know that I have to implement a CRM system (and I have been avoiding it).

It is such a simple requirement at it's most basic level (well suited to FOSS) - just a list to replace a box of dog-eared contact cards. However, all the current offerings have embraced complexity and have tried to offer 'all things to all men' becoming unfocussed and needlessly complex.

Amoungst the more promising candidates seem to be - Dolibarr, EspoCRM and vTiger   ...   but I haven't had time to re-test the latest incarnations - hence the query to Bud.

guest22

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »
It is such a simple requirement at it's most basic level (well suited to FOSS) - just a list to replace a box of dog-eared contact cards. However, all the current offerings have embraced complexity and have tried to offer 'all things to all men' becoming unfocussed and needlessly complex.

How about sharing a contact list via your existing groupware? (Zarafa or SoGO)

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »

Offline Charles2008

• +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 01:35:17 PM »
@HFW
At the MOST basic level that would suffice (and thanks for the suggestion BTW - it is a good one). However, perhaps I should have been a little more detailed in my requirement - which I am sure is very similar to most small businesses:

Off the top of my head:

BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
- Details of customer, address, tel number, contacts
- Last contact date, next contact date
- Notes (in date order and easily understandable - where Dolibarr is weak IMHO)
- Being able to search and order all above i.e. all 'Next Contacts' that fall within the next 7 days

HIGHER LEVEL REQUIREMENT:
- Being able to synch 'Next Contacts' into a central calendar or To-Do list (Tasks list)
- 'One-click' telephoning of customer (needs headset) - Dolibarr has this
- Geo-locate - e.g. if I have a business meeting in Birmingham, who is nearby or on-route that I can have a quick meeting with /  invite to a little seminar / have a beer with etc.
- Marketing  - ability to do targeted mailshot with relevant info / offer - quite a few CRM's offer this

FEATURES NOT NEEDED:
- linking CRM and orders - vTiger can do this

This list is very cusory.

@Stefano - just seen your post. Thank you for the link - I will have a look.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:37:29 PM by Charles2008 »

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
Charles,

On one hand you say...

And on the other :

BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
Blah....

HIGHER LEVEL REQUIREMENT:
- Being able to synch 'Next Contacts' into a central calendar or To-Do list (Tasks list)
- 'One-click' telephoning of customer (needs headset) - Dolibarr has this
- Geo-locate - e.g. if I have a business meeting in Birmingham, who is nearby or on-route that I can have a quick meeting with /  invite to a little seminar / have a beer with etc.
- Marketing  - ability to do targeted mailshot with relevant info / offer - quite a few CRM's offer this

Some things often sound so simple (geo-locate etc), but take a much higher level of complexity to implement, and your requirements aren't necessarily that simple !

Your Higher Level requirements are completely at odds with your KISS thoughts.

I think you are either going to have to keep it simple and forego a lot on your wish list, or bite the bullet and go for something much more complex - not that it will make any great difference in use to your server if there is only the odd user on it.

vTiger is a good product - just a shame their attitude on 'Open Source' sucks ! YetiForce is a fork of vTiger 6.x with quite a few improvements, but despite promising a brave new world, they are as bad as vTiger IMHO.

Another thing you may consider looking at is another vTiger fork called CoreBos - this is primarily based on maintaining and improving the solid vTiger 5.4 - the boss of the company that run it is a very nice guy called Joe Bordes. He can help you with customisations etc.

So in short, it's make your mind up time. KISS or all in :-)

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline Charles2008

• +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 10:31:49 PM »
John,

Totally agree. I would be happy to run with a CRM that did the basic very well and wasn't 'Hotel California software' - difficult to leave and import data into a new CRM solution.

The 'Higher Level Requirements' would just make me even happier.

Offline Xavier.A

• +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 11:15:08 PM »
@Charles2008,

I'm working with my students on this.
For the moment it's not easy to implement for end-user. You really need to be confortable with gradle and java development but it's worth it !

You will find the code here and documentation there.

Feel free to participate with Axelor, a dynamic and friendly french SME !

A+

PS: If you tried Odoo (ex OpenERP/ ex TinyERP) then you already know Axelor ;-)
“When the wise man points to the moon, the fool looks at the finger.”

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »
@Charles2008,

I'm working with my students on this.
For the moment it's not easy to implement for end-user. You really need to be confortable with gradle and java development but it's worth it !

You will find the code here and documentation there.

Feel free to participate with Axelor, a dynamic and friendly french SME !

A+

PS: If you tried Odoo (ex OpenERP/ ex TinyERP) then you already know Axelor ;-)

Xavier.. is it anything that can be easily installed on SME?

if so, please give us details and an howto
if not, please don't make self advertising, thank you

Offline Xavier.A

• +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
Xavier.. is it anything that can be easily installed on SME?

if so, please give us details and an howto
if not, please don't make self advertising, thank you
http://www.axelor.com/docs/adk/quickstart/index.html
“When the wise man points to the moon, the fool looks at the finger.”

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
http://www.axelor.com/docs/adk/quickstart/index.html

so nothing easy to install on SME, no centOS howto, packages from github.

Offline Charles2008

• +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 07:00:40 PM »
If anyone is interested to have a look at the FatFreeCRM demo, they have changed the password (and i can no longer amend my original post) - it is now in small letters beneath the large 'LAUNCH DEMO' button on the Home page (took me ages to see it - obvious, of course, now).

http://fatfreecrm.com/

Thanks to John's 'gentle encouragement' I have had another look at FatFreeCRM. It looks good.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:03:21 PM by Charles2008 »

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
Thanks to John's 'gentle encouragement' I have had another look at FatFreeCRM. It looks good.

:D

I'm just in charge of "Stating the Bleedin Obvious" Department

:-)

Sometimes there's TOO much choice. Never easy.

B. Rgds
John
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation

Offline Charles2008

• +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 07:43:54 PM »
@XavierA

I have taken a look at your Alexor.com demo and it reminds me of EspoCRM. It is a pity that I couldn't change it from French to English, however, that is a small issue as it is still in development.

I confess that when I saw the ERP alongside it, my heart sank. I believe that to get a CRM 'right' is a demanding task in itself and to get an ERP right - well, I haven't found one that is 'right' to date (particularly if one is looking to manage inventory)!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:48:30 PM by Charles2008 »

Offline warren

• +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »

Another thing you may consider looking at is another vTiger fork called CoreBos - this is primarily based on maintaining and improving the solid vTiger 5.4 - the boss of the company that run it is a very nice guy called Joe Bordes. He can help you with customisations etc.

So in short, it's make your mind up time. KISS or all in :-)

B. Rgds
John

I did a quick test install of coreBos ( into an Ibay and it seems to install ok .
Followed install Instructions for ( coreBOS5.5.0 )
http://corebos.tsolucio.com/documentation/doku.php?id=en:install550

guest22

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »
Warren, good thing. Can you add your experience to the wiki please?

TIA!