Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Selective File Restore - Blank

Offline Mirfster

• +0/-0
Selective File Restore - Blank
« on: July 30, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
Hello All,

Have a weird situation on Server 8.1, DAR backups have been running fine without issue to a USB Drive.  Was looking to restore a folder and all the files that had accidentally gotten deleted.  So, I figured "Hey, I'll just use the Selective File Restore from Workstation".

Went in, selected the option and was even able to choose from all the available backups (Full or Incremental).  Now, the weird part is that regardless of which ever I choose and no matter how long I wait the page never shows me any items to choose from...

Going in via SSH, I can use MC and browse to the backups on the USB and see all the *.dar files...

So, I guess my questions are:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions on why "Selective File Restore..." would not show anything?
2) Is there a simple remediation?  (Oh, I am hoping so...)
3) If there is someone more familiar with DAR, perhaps they can share a command to restore an entire folder and its contents?  (I have only seen info on restoring individual files, which I have no idea what the names used to be)

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.  In the meantime, I will be reading up more on DAR commands.

Offline janet

• +0/-0
Re: Selective File Restore - Blank
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:13 AM »
Mirfster

Please read & search bugzilla, link at top of Forum.
There were posts about these type of issues for sometime now, I am not sure what the outcome was but I think that there may be more work needed.

Please add your experiences to an existing bug report (that is identical) or create a new one, to assist the issue being fully resolved (if not yet resolved).
Thanks

Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline Mirfster

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:11:21 AM »
Janet,

Thanks for the reply.  I have checked commented on Bug 8271 and read Bug 7035.  Wish I had read 7035 first, since it appears that there will not be any commitment to fix this in the 8 cycle.

Wonder if I were to upgrade the Server to 9, would it let me see the backups from version 8 and do a selective restore?

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »
Mirfster

Wonder if I were to upgrade the Server to 9, would it let me see the backups from version 8 and do a selective restore?

Answering the second part.
There is no direct upgrade method from sme8.x to sme9 ie using a CD or yum.
You need to perform a full backup on sme8 & then restore that backup onto a freshly installed sme9 OS.
This limitation is imposed by the underlying sme9 (CentOS) operating system & has been well documented in these forums & bugzilla.

Backups made using the standard backup to workstation ie to local USB using backup with dar feature built in to server manager, should restore OK on sme9 via server manager Backup or Restore panel. These backups (split *.dar files) are not compatible with the admin console backup to USB (smeserver.tgz file)

Also if you are using the DAR2 contrib, this appears to not yet be functional on sme9
http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8508
It is best avoided anyway as it is no longer supported.

Best policy is to use the built in backup methods provided by the developers & the matching (compatible) restore function.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.