Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Client connection to cyberghost server using OpenVPN

Offline nowhinjing

• +0/-0
Client connection to cyberghost server using OpenVPN
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »
Hi,

I am currently running SME 9 with a logitech media server installed. As I live outside the UK, I keep getting the dreaded "due to rights restrictions.." everytime I want to listen to sport on the BBC.

As I have a Cyberghost subscription, I can use their service to spoof the BBC while I am at my PC but I would like to have the same facility from my SME Server. I have downloaded the suggested client configuration, ca.crt, cert.crt and key from Cyberghost but now find myself at a loss as to which OpenVPN contrib, if any, will help me to achieve my goal, an OpenVPN client on the SME Server logging in to Cyberghost.

I am quite willing to experiment and learn but would really appreciate a suggestion of a good practical starting point ... or even better if some one has already achieved it - your guidance would be like gold.

Many thanks,

NWJ

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
Re: Client connection to cyberghost server using OpenVPN
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:03:15 PM »
It looks as though CyberGhost is a windows-only application -- you won't get that running on SME.

You can configure your SME server to pass all traffic through an upstream proxy server using the SquidParent and SquidParentPort properties as described here (but you'll have to pick and change proxies manually):
http://wiki.contribs.org/SME_Server:Documentation:FAQ:Section01#Upstream_proxy_server_configuration

Offline nowhinjing

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:12:41 PM »
Hi,

@ mmccarn, thanks for your reply.

Cyberghost is essentially a VPN service that requires OpenVPN to be present on the SME Server as a client. I know I can access Cyberghost from the linux server using an OpenVPN client - the question is HOW ?

For info on the Cyberghost end see
Code: [Select]
https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/395/0/configure-openvpn-for-linux
NWJ

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
Ahhh.

So you're trying to figure out if you can configure your SME server to route all outbound traffic through an OpenVPN connection where your SME server is the OpenVPN client?

Or are you hoping to route only proxied http & maybe https traffic?

Or are you hoping to route all traffic to/from the logitech media server through the OpenVPN connection while leaving other traffic untouched?

Offline nowhinjing

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »
Wow, that was quick - thanks !

not just outbound - all traffic - as I understand it the VPN makes all traffic look as if it came from elsewhere, so presumably replies need to go back in the same way (very simplistic I know, but it helps when you are an OAP.)

Option 3, just the Logitech Media Server would be ideal, but I'll settle for what I can get....

NWJ

Offline mmccarn

• +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »
It looks as though the OpenVPN SiteToSite contrib does almost everything you want.

When I load 'iplayer' in my browser, the host address shown is 'www.bbc.co.uk'.  When I get the IP for this host and look it up at ipinfo.io I see that this belongs to AS2818.  When I lookup AS2818 I see that this consists of these networks:
132.185.0.0/16
132.185.128.0/20
212.58.224.0/19

You may get what you want using OpenVPN Site-to-Site and setting the 'remote networks' to the three networks shown above.

Offline nowhinjing

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »
Thanks for that - surely worth a try.

I'll give it a go, and report back next year ....

Wishing you and all viewing a happy, prosperous and peaceful New Year.

NWJ