Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Zarafa change outlook plugin support

Offline tdbsoft

• +0/-0
    • http://www.tdb.com.au
Zarafa change outlook plugin support
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:16:39 AM »
Anyone contemplating changing over to use Zarafa may want to wait for the decision from Zarafa management about their future direction.
In particular dropping development of their Outlook plugin. Final decision to be posted on the forum first half of March (see below).

We do understand that Q1 2016 is short notice for some of our customers. Although this is a long shot, we might be able to extend the lifetime of our current MAPI Outlook compatibility. We would like to come back to you in the first half of March. This thing is at the top of our priority list.

From the Zarafa forum https://forums.zarafa.com/showthread.php?11134-Zarafa-Outlook-support-discontinued

We will phase out Outlook compatibility support.

Outlook and ZWS are no longer supported by Zarafa at the end of Q1/2016. Both technologies can be used “as is” after Q1/2016, e.g. customers can use the Zarafa OL client with an Outlook version that is supported by Zarafa in Q1/2016. There are signals in the Z-Push community about ActiveSync compatibility with Outlook for single user features. We will keep you posted on the developments in this area.

Also from the zarafa website about new direction FAQ
http://www.zarafa.com/faq-about-zarafas-new-direction/

Seems like an incredible stupid choice - akin to a lemming.

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Zarafa change outlook plugin support
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
Outlook has ever been EVIL and a PITA (think about backup), M$ doesn't like other server solution (I mean, they don't like you use outlook without exchange), so such a decision is not surprising.

moreover, outlook has never been fully IMAP compliant

on the other hand, zarafa tried to be an exchange replacement, with almost the same approach: all into a mega blob mysql db.

if you need something like exchange+outlook, take a look at SOGO + Thunderbird
pros:
- TB runs on every O.S.
- SOGO is only a sw layer, i.e. you can install and remove it and your mails are still there, untouched
- fully IMAP and SMTP compliant (it uses underlying services)
- backup/restore easy like 1,2,3
- scalable

cons:
sincerely.. I can't find :-)

P.S. OT in this forum IMHO, I'll move it to General Discussion

Offline tdbsoft

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »
Outlook has ever been EVIL and a PITA (think about backup), M$ doesn't like other server solution (I mean, they don't like you use outlook without exchange), so such a decision is not surprising.

Thanks for the reply.

M$ is often the problem but given that 95% of users/businesses use Outlook I would have a difficult to impossible task to try to change them.

My posting here was simply to warn others that if they are going to investigate/use/install etc then they should be aware of what is a significant change to the usefulness of this software.
Perhaps someone could add to the top of the wiki for Zarafa I would but don't have permission.

What I need for my small business customers is a server back end that works with MS Outlook 2010 & 2013 (hopefully newer versions as well).
M$ Small Business Server not longer exists and therefore Exchange is now out of reach for most small business customers.

I had only very recently begun testing of Zarafa and all indications are good that it would work well for small business customers.
I am still hopefully that Zarafa may change their minds and continue to support the Outlook plugin, As can be seen on the Zarafa forum many IT & business are very upset by the anouncement.  Maybe Zarafa will extend their plugin support or maybe they will out source or give the plugin to others to maintain if not then its time to find another product that works with MS Outlook.  While waiting for Zarafa's final word (mid March 2015) time to do some research on other possible software.

I would ask of anyone reading this please share your experiences using exchange like replacement's - Easy to install, costs and how well they work with SME etc.

Software like -
Zentyal (sound good dose it work)
Kalab
Sogo (integrating with SME & Outlook)
Zimbra
Kerio
Icewarp.com
Any others that might be relevant.

Thank you

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

M$ is often the problem but given that 95% of users/businesses use Outlook I would have a difficult to impossible task to try to change them.

use TB with lookOut plugin..

it's funny strange thinking that we change cars, phones, TV, dvd player and we face with no problems the differences between old and new..
but, when we speak about computers..

My posting here was simply to warn others that if they are going to investigate/use/install etc then they should be aware of what is a significant change to the usefulness of this software.
Perhaps someone could add to the top of the wiki for Zarafa I would but don't have permission.

already requested to create a post in Announcements forum

What I need for my small business customers is a server back end that works with MS Outlook 2010 & 2013 (hopefully newer versions as well).
M$ Small Business Server not longer exists and therefore Exchange is now out of reach for most small business customers.

if you need just email, no problem
if you need something more, you have a big problem, you already know

I had only very recently begun testing of Zarafa and all indications are good that it would work well for small business customers.
I am still hopefully that Zarafa may change their minds and continue to support the Outlook plugin, As can be seen on the Zarafa forum many IT & business are very upset by the anouncement.  Maybe Zarafa will extend their plugin support or maybe they will out source or give the plugin to others to maintain if not then its time to find another product that works with MS Outlook.  While waiting for Zarafa's final word (mid March 2015) time to do some research on other possible software.

as told many times here by me and others, move away from outlook, start thinking different

Offline CharlieBrady

• +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
M$ is often the problem but given that 95% of users/businesses use Outlook ...

Where did you get that number from?

Offline tdbsoft

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:13 AM »
use TB with lookOut plugin..

Sorry I know Thunderbird works well has all the features etc., But the business users I know would be hard to impossible to convince to change from Outlook.
Need a back-end server that allows Outlook to connect and send email, store contacts & calendar events & links to mobile devices so users changing data on any of their devices will show across all devices.  Like Zarafa with the Outlook plugin.

it's funny strange thinking that we change cars, phones, TV, dvd player and we face with no problems the differences between old and new..
but, when we speak about computers..

Agreed but people (users) get very stuck in their ways E.G. Most could easily user Open Office + TB do all they need but once a user has used say Word for a few years good luck getting them to change.

already requested to create a post in Announcements forum

Thank you, that will hopefully warning others of changes at Zarafa

as told many times here by me and others, move away from outlook, start thinking different

Would like too but the users and bosses are very reluctant to change - If you want the reasons check the 16 pages of hostile Zarafa resellers on the Zarafa forum.
Most state the near impossibility of getting there users to change.

Offline tdbsoft

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 05:07:36 AM »
Where did you get that number from?

It is from my customer database of business users (Perth Australia), maybe it is different where you are.

However reading the Zarafa forum of their resellers 16 pages (I read nearly all) they seem to agree - getting their users to change would be very difficult as most would likely just jump ship and go with MS Exchange or some other IT company that can offer the goods.

Link to Zarafa forum
https://forums.zarafa.com/showthread.php?11134-Zarafa-Outlook-support-discontinued