Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Affa Backup - mapping archives to a Samba share?

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
Affa Backup - mapping archives to a Samba share?
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »
Affa Backup Features statement

The archives are browseable. No need to unpack them first.
 Archives can be mapped to a Samba share.

I see the files logged in as root via Mindnight Commander , type    mc at prompt.

Files are located under

/var/affa/backup-smeserver/daily.0/esmith/files/ibays/

/var/affa/backup-smeserver/daily.1/esmith/files/ibays/

/var/affa/backup-smeserver/daily.2/esmith/files/ibays/

May I ask how to map the

/var/affa/backup-smeserver/   to a ibay as mentioned on the backup server, for easy retrieval of files or directories as most times the desire is simply to retrieve a older file  that's been changed or one that was accidentally deleted. I think the specifics of mapping to an ibay are omitted in the "How to"

Also if I may ask are the MySQL databases backed up per day as the rest of the files or does one need to deal with that separately.

Thanks,

Ken Graham

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: Affa Backup - mapping archives to a Samba share?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »

May I ask how to map the

/var/affa/backup-smeserver/   to a ibay as mentioned on the backup server, for easy retrieval of files or directories as most times the desire is simply to retrieve a older file  that's been changed or one that was accidentally deleted. I think the specifics of mapping to an ibay are omitted in the "How to"

you need a custom fragment for samba.. search the wiki and here the forums, I'm quite sure you'll find it

Also if I may ask are the MySQL databases backed up per day as the rest of the files or does one need to deal with that separately.

affa adheres to SME's standards, so every time it runs the backup, it creates db backup also

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »
With a bit more thought perhaps just changing the path of backup is sufficient as well as copying current backup to new location. Perhaps a Global change as I am hoping to backup additional items to here. I will try something akin to

RootDir= /home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/files    or

/home/e-smith/files/ibays/backup/html

Hopefully if the ibay   backup is not present on the server it will not overwrite during a affa  rise 

Ken

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:47:31 PM »
I won't change anything in affa.. we're talking about backup.. you'd share it (if you really need) in read only mode.

Playing with your backup is not a wise and smart idea

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 05:49:15 PM »
I'd add that adding on the affa server an ibay and use it as affa backup repo will likely crash your rise event.

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:53:32 PM »
It seems the documentation agrees with you Stephano.

RootDir  full path  no  /var/affa  where to store the backup archives. Do not use /home/e-smith or /root as these are included in the backup and therefore the rise option will not work! Recommended: /var/affa

Evidently you are correct according to the documentation, so I am not sure mapping archives to a share would be any different.

I was hoping to have a system in place that someone with only Windows experience could retrieve a file so I could take a holiday.

Maybe a additional rsync (affa) from the  /var directory to a ibay  , but that would double the space taken !

Dare I ask how you handle restoring of  individual files, have you  or any user here, been able to simplify it to end user formula while yet using affa?

Offline beast

• +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
I have copied files from the affa backup back to an ibay from the terminal as root in the past - works fine

But I know of no system to let a "normal" user handle the backup files.

Possible to make a script or maybe even a web interface - but somebody need to create it first ;-)

Offline janet

• +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 07:20:26 AM »
Ken

Look at wiki for shadow copy & Rubbish Bin functionality

Also you can create a super user to allow someone with common sense to restore a file from Affa backup using command line, works for me in the past OK.
Please search before asking, an answer may already exist.
The Search & other links to useful information are at top of Forum.

Offline mercyh

• +0/-0
    • http://mercyh.org
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
There are couple ways to do the single file restore:

1> login to the server with SFTP (I use WinSCP on a windows client for this) you will need to allow ftp and I would FOR SURE limit it to local networks only

2> I have never tried to setup a SAMBA share to the backup but you may be able to figure out how to do it using the directions for admin access to all user HOME directories here.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:03:34 PM by mercyh »

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 10:41:31 PM »
There are couple ways to do the single file restore:

1> login to the server with SFTP (I use WinSCP on a windows client for this) you will need to allow ftp and I would FOR SURE limit it to local networks only

2> I have never tried to setup a SAMBA share to the backup but you may be able to figure out how to do it using the directions for admin access to all user HOME drives here.

1. Doesn't seem to work with SFTP though it does let one log it with FTP locally using      admin    but the root directories are not visible.

Logging in with putty does work using     root     and does let one copy files with Midnight Commander to ibays for retrieval       type      mc      after login

Ken

Offline mercyh

• +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 10:51:15 PM »
Hmmm..

Not sure if something has changed in version 9, I am logging in as root with full control with sftp on an 8.1 server. This thing has been around a while so maybe I changed something way back that I don't remember....?

Offline mercyh

• +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 10:56:28 PM »
I just tried it on my server....

If I login with FTP on port 21, I am not allowed to login as the ROOT user (must use ADMIN) and do not have access to the root directories.

If I login with SFTP on port 22, I can login as ROOT and have everything......

This is on an SME 8.1 server that is fully updated.

Offline mercyh

• +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:01:16 PM »
Here are my server-manager security - remote access settings...

Secure Shell Access: Allow only from local network

Secure Shell port: 22

FTP Access: Allow Access only form local networks
FTP password access: Accept passwords only from local networks

Offline TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 03:19:05 AM »
Hmmm..

Not sure if something has changed in version 9, I am logging in as root with full control with sftp on an 8.1 server. This thing has been around a while so maybe I changed something way back that I don't remember....?

SFTP works fine logging in as root, local network only, on a SME9 system
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline k_graham

• +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 07:24:38 AM »
Here are my server-manager security - remote access settings...

Secure Shell Access: Allow only from local network

Secure Shell port: 22

FTP Access: Allow Access only form local networks
FTP password access: Accept passwords only from local networks

I stand corrected, after a reboot tonight of my Windows Computer it was able to be opened with    root     using     port 22  and I copied a file to the windows computer and opened it. 

Thanks,

Ken Graham