Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

NICs disappearing after 2nd and further reboots.

Offline Christopher

• +0/-0
NICs disappearing after 2nd and further reboots.
« on: June 04, 2015, 11:31:26 PM »
Hello,

I recently discovered SME and found that it seemed to meet the needs I had when building my own router. I read through the administration manual several times and was quite comfortable during the installation. The installation was successful and the system rebooted itself. The system came up and worked fine. Unfortunately, last night we had a power outage and the system is set to stay off after losing power.

Upon booting it this morning, I received the messages "Device em1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization" and "Device p1p1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization". I found that odd so I rebooted the machine again and received the same error messages as well as on all subsequent reboots.

I reinstalled SME 9 64bit, went through the setup process again and, again, after the first reboot the system works as intended. I intentionally rebooted it again and I was back to experiencing a lack of connectivity and the same error messages. This continued despite several reboots and a handful of cold starts.

Both NICs are enabled and present in BIOS and other distributions such as CentOS 6.6, 7 and Fedora 21 Server see them every single time after rebooting and the NICs work fine in those environments.

I checked the relevant ifcfg files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts but the big banner message says not to edit them by hand as they will be overwritten. However, both devices show "ONBOOT = yes" so they should come up at boot (and do, otherwise I wouldn't get the error message). Running "service network restart" displays the same error messages that I see on boot.

The system I am attempting to load SME on is as follows:

Dell Optiplex 7010
2GB RAM
Core i5
320gb SATA drive
Onboard Intel 82579 NIC
Add-in Intel 82574L NIC

What am I missing and/or doing wrong?

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
Re: NICs disappearing after 2nd and further reboots.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
hi, welcome here

sounds like a bug to me..
so, please, raise a bug in bugzilla (link above), giving us all the info you have.. please take a look at dmesg output and /var/log/messages content.. if you find something you think is relevant, add it to your bug.

TIA

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
Have you applied all the available updates after installation ? My guess is that you're hitting bug http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8542 Please check you're have all the updates installed, and if the problem persist, you should open a bug with all the relevant information
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline lloydh

• +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 02:42:46 AM »
I had a similar situation around 5 years ago with SME8 beta on a Gigabyte MB, I got around the problem by assigning a specific IRQ to each LAN card in BIOS rather than the default auto option and haven't seen the problem since, the same box is now running SME9.

Offline Christopher

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »
The server was up to date and the NICs showed up consistently on other distros without having to change the default interrupt assignments.

Unfortunately, as I needed something that worked immediately out of the box, I have had to abandon SME. I wish you guys the very best for the future.