Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Timeouts during affa backup

Offline quayph

• +0/-0
Timeouts during affa backup
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:36:29 AM »
Hi all,

I back up remote servers using Affa3 on SME9 and Affa2 on sme8. I'm often getting "Rsync failed with error code 255" in the affa logs.

I think that this error message is caused by the ssh connection failing during the transfer. Can anyone confirm this?

If I understand correctly, the backup server is the ssh client and the remote (to be backed up) server is the sshd server.
I have tried adding ServerAliveInterval 30 to /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the backup server.
Unfortunately this does not seem to make much difference.

Does Affa take ssh_config into account ? I have seen that there was an option _sshOpts in Affa2, but it is not present in Affa3

Maybe there are changes to try in sshd_config on the remote server? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Keith

guest22

Re: Timeouts during affa backup
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:12:44 PM »
I think you should examine your connections on a lower routing level. How stable is the connection based on IP only?

Offline quayph

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
How can I do that?
Should I try pinging the remote server continually for an hour or two and look for timeouts, or are you thinking of something else?

I did'nt mention, but the backups are quite large (about 100 Gb)

EDIT..........
Damn, the router doesn't respond to pings! I'll have to contact a coworker to change the settings.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 02:26:40 PM by quayph »

guest22

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »
ping an leave it running for at least a few hours

screen
ping 1.1.1.1 > pinglog

where 1.1.1.1 is your remote server to be backed up

Offline quayph

• +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »
Damn, the router doesn't respond to pings! I'll have to contact a coworker to change the settings.

Thanks for your help, but this will probably have to wait untill tomorrow.