Koozali.org: home of the SME Server

Potential issue when following torrent download links

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
Potential issue when following torrent download links
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »
Imagine my surprise when after clicking to download the SME-9 torrent, that I was redirected to the website burnbit.com. While there, I clicked 'Download Torrent' and suddenly got a popup claiming that I needed to install 'Adobe Flash Pro', even though Flash is already installed on my system.

I wanted to make sure this was happening so I tried again, but the next time I get window after window of notices saying that my system has detected 'suspicious activity' and that I need to call an 800 right away, all while playing loud, obnoxious beeps through my speakers. I had to manually kill all the processes to get it to stop.

Having only visited this site twice, its possible that this is not the only crap being thrown at unsuspecting Windows users. By sending people to this website, Contribs.org will be causing grief and possible tragedy to any SME user that falls for these attempts at infection.

Please correct this horrible situation!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:51:29 AM by Daniel B. »

Offline Daniel B.

• +0/-0
    • Firewall Services, la sécurité des réseaux
Re: Contribs.org - Please stop infecting Windows users!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:32:58 PM »
Can't reproduce this so it might be your PC already infected by an other mean. Anyway, torrent links have been removed so we can investigate. Thanks for reporting.
C'est la fin du monde !!! :lol:

Offline compdoc

• +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
thank you for the quick response. I'm pretty sure its not me that's infected, at least it doesnt make sense that only that one webpage would cause the popups, and no other sites have done ever that before, or since.

Just now, I went directly to the site I mentioned before, and it's no longer happening. Makes me think somebody hijacked their traffic to a bogus site. My forwarders are 8.8.8.8 ...

Online TerryF

• grumpy old man
  • +6/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:43:49 AM »
As per Dans experience, Win10, Edge, no issues..

You can also get a torrents from here:
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrents&search=sme+server&category=2125&active=1
--
qui scribit bis legit

Offline Stefano

• +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:05:50 AM »
Compdoc, please edit the subject of your post.. There is no evidence and the title maybe misleading
Thank you

Offline ReetP

• +5/-0
Re: Potential issue when following torrent download links
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 02:30:23 PM »
1. Read the Manual
2. Read the Wiki
3. Don't ask for support on Unsupported versions of software
4. I have a job, wife, and kids and do this in my spare time. If you want something fixed, please help.

Bugs are easier than you think: http://wiki.contribs.org/Bugzilla_Help

If you love SME and don't want to lose it, join in: http://wiki.contribs.org/Koozali_Foundation